Awful Music

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by hereKittyKitty, Feb 24, 2012.

1. ajiboyet

ajiboyet Well-Known Member

Don' Cha is just wrong for a foxtrot.

LMAO!!!

2. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Yeah, Nonie, you are VASTLY overthinking this.

3. Exactly! I'm not a fan of the song and the group who sang it!

4. ajiboyet

ajiboyet Well-Known Member

I did like it back then when it was released. The problem is that most of these artistes did not release these songs with the intention that they be used for ballroom dance competitions.

5. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

i like dont cha the original version by PCD remakes umm er notsomuch

6. syncopationator

syncopationator Active Member

Was at the Harvard Invitational this weekend. I seriously wanted to puke during the open smooth heats but unfortunately I had to dance. If you call yourself a ballroom DJ, should you not need to know the difference between standard and smooth???

7. Mr 4 styles

waltz and Ft are very close in tempo for open tango ummerr notsomuch

were the smooth tangoes too fast??

8. syncopationator

syncopationator Active Member

tango was slowed, but it was a standard type of tango. I can deal with a slow waltz in smooth, but a outside of bronze, a slowfox is not the same as a foxtrot. Also, international VW is not what is danced in smooth.

NonieS and dlliba10 like this.
  9. Mr 4 styles

i assumed no one was that stupid to play intl vw tempo in am smooth!!!

good american tango music.......soooooo hard to find

10. dlliba10

dlliba10 Well-Known Member

There were some amazing Smooth tangoes played ......... in syllabus Standard. There were some phenomenal Standard VWs played ......... in Open Smooth. It's difficult to get the proper type of emotion going when the music isn't helping, and while I recognize that music is luck of the draw and we have to learn to dance to bad music sometimes, when the *entire* slate of music for a round is bad, I think something needs to change.

11. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

It doesn't have to be. Good/proper music should be provided regardless. I am not sure this DJ is seasoned enough to realize his faux pas, if he even is aware. I remember someone making a cd for me one time... and they were so PROUD! And the music was standard oriented and horrible.

Perhaps this one is willing to sit down with someone knowledgable and separate his music into Bronze Everything, Silver/Gold American, Silver/Gold Standard. Years years years ago the dj in the area wasn't even willing. Actually to this day he still isn't willing.

dlliba10 and Mr 4 styles like this.
  12. Mr 4 styles

WOW nothing ruins a comp faster than music that is not the correct tempo

well except maybe a broken air conditioner... or a mike hogging mc

ajiboyet likes this.
  13. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

It wasn't just the wrong tempo.

A smooth viennese waltz that sounds like om pa pa circus music is horrible to dance to in smooth, which is based on lyrical movements.
    And an open smooth waltz and something I would play for a newcomer are completely different. International foxtrot doesn't have enough oomph to drive open american choreography.
    International tango, as long as it is proper tempo doesn't bother me.
    It is like playing a samba for a mambo, sure you "can' do it, but why would you want to dance to something that is "close but not right".

14. Mr 4 styles

well said!! some lazy DJs just slow down the intl vwaltzes it drives me nuts..

good am vwaltzes are harder to find tho you cant play "thousand years " at every comp!!:eek:

syncopationator and smidra86 like this.
  15. dbk

dbk Well-Known Member

"Circus music" was the exact though I had when the viennese started playing. Yuck. I got two of my favorite foxtrot songs... my favorite international foxtrot songs... but at least that I can work with.

16. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Well, now that you mentioned it... I've been to places where they make no distinction between salsa music and mambo music. :rolleyes:

17. dlliba10

FWIW ... I still don't know the difference sometimes. And I dance Open Rhythm. x_x

Larinda McRaven likes this.
  18. Leon Theou

Leon Theou Active Member

I was always told that the only difference is where the accented beat is. Apparently, salsa music is also typically faster. Here's some Colombian-style salsa, which is blisteringly fast.

19. Mr 4 styles

LOL cali style.. looks like latin lindy!

Leon you are correct but its a little more than that.. the use of the clave is different

after a while you can "taste" the difference kinda like chiles!

dlliba10 likes this.
  20. dlliba10

Ooh, that's my old studio!