Bachata!

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by amo_dile_que_no, Jun 29, 2006.

1. amo_dile_que_no

amo_dile_que_no New Member

There has been some discussion of bachata in another thread. I think it is worthy of a thread of its own. I think it's a lot of fun, very sensous, and being an old guy, I can't get away with just grinding on the lady (not saying I wouldn't like it). There are plenty of creative things you can do with it without gilding the lily. Although I do prefer dancing salsa (mambo) 80% of the time (unless it is with mi Reina) 3-4 times a night is about my limit.

So let's talk about bachata some. Those of us who love it, say why. And for those of you who don't tell us why not. No judging, just an exchange of opinions.
  2. Josh

Josh Active Member

3. amo_dile_que_no

amo_dile_que_no New Member

4. squirrel

squirrel New Member

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

Why not start one new for the newbies here? :) I love bachata.

Let's see... Zacarias Fereira and Frank Reyes rock!
  5. thespina13

thespina13 New Member

I adore it too.. unfortunately there aren't enough people here who get really jiggy with it around here. I find it relaxing and sexy and fun because you really can throw a lot in there, but relax your brain a bit. It can be sexy as hell, or it can be playful and intricate. I dunno. I just like it. Especially fun with mi padrino. ;)
  6. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

Bachata (the real bachata, not what I'm now referring to as "Ballroom Bachata" :shock:) is beautiful. Since I do ballroom, there are very few people who really know how to dance it in our practice parties. I only dance bachata with two or three people, and since two of those are teachers (also friends of mine) I can barely find them to say hi, let alone dance with them.
    Funny story, I hadn't danced real bachata in 4-5 months and I finally grabbed one of those teachers at a different studio's party and after a few moments I said "Thank GOD, do you know how long it's been since I danced a REAL bachata?" He had a good laugh at this, since he knows just how difficult it is to find a good bachata dancer.

T_E
  7. squirrel

squirrel New Member

:) Good bachata dancers can be hard to find :)
  8. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

good bachata

I am guessing that you mean with contra rythm ?, so so different than standard and of course as hard as hell to lead someone who knows not how . have introduced here in the u.k. and it gets great reponse .
  9. Steve

Steve New Member

I've been wanting to learn bachata, but it's hard to find group classes. So I've got a private lined up next week. Should be fun :)
  10. thespina13

thespina13 New Member

T_E, can you describe "real" bachata to me? I always sort of considered myself a good bachata dancer but now I'm plagued by doubt!
  11. terremoto

terremoto New Member

If you are looking for a good Bachata DVD - check out this website. I bought the intermediate DVD and really enjoy it. Its full of moves - and he breaks them down pretty good.

http://www.bachatarueda.com/
  12. terremoto

terremoto New Member

I really enjoy Bachata. When I first started salsa I took a series of classes that covered, salsa, merengue, cha-cha, and Bachata. Bachata is definately a very sensual dance and I just absolutely love some of the songs! I love to close my eyes and feel the lady against me and just move with the rhythm!! However, with that being said - I generally only dance Bachata with a handful of ladies that I know pretty well. I generally don't ask ladies that I don't know - Bachata is meant to be a close dance and most of the time I'm not too comfortable with hugging on someoen I just met. Also, if I just me the lady and she's all sweaty from dancing and I'm all sweaty from dancing then that makes it even more uncomfortable. So - I'll stick with some follows that I know I enjoy dancing with.
  13. genEus

genEus New Member

On another note... I like dancing bachata On2. I have seen people do it in clubs and after I tried it it feels better to me. So, instead of stepping out on 1 you tap (or lift or whatever you do) on 1 and step out on 2... so that it goes like

tap - step - step - step -- tap - step - step - step instead of
    step - step - step - tap -- step - step - step - tap

On yet another note, I found that on average, dancing bachata with white girls (I can say that because I'm white ;) ), is boring.
  14. thespina13

thespina13 New Member

LoL... haven't met this white girl, have ya?
  15. ssjss

ssjss New Member

I agree with you 100%. I can only dance bachata if I'm already friends with the girl. It about being close and letting go to me. I'm just not comfy doing these with some one I just meet. As for the white girl comment. You don't know the right white girls. A couple of white girls I know taught me how to move to Dance Hall, the right way, nuf said.
  16. ash88

ash88 New Member

Regarding dancing bachata On 2...

Bachata is like cha-cha...The special little added bit ("toonk!") matches the tap/leg lift/accent, in the same way that the "cha-cha" aligns with your foot action. For cha-cha, this happens only when you dance it On 2. For bachata, i've only ever heard it align properly when danced On 1. Maybe there are bachata On 2 songs, but i've never heard one :(
  17. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

description

Nearly impossible to describe " In a word " .Very complex syncopations , when done by Colombians nothing else come close ! .Also-- Interesting statement by the person who mentioned starting on the right foot . Many many latinos do this in salsa and merengue ( this how the break on 3 occurs when p.r. dance salsa ) very common in the states . Mi salseros y para salseras entiendo. tambien ?
  18. terremoto

terremoto New Member

I had the most wonderful bachata dance with a "white girl" tonight. I wanted that song to last forever!!! She was a friend of a mine from out of state who is visiting for the weekend. I hadn't seen her in a year and being able to dance bachata and to connect with her - just amazing!!!!
  19. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

Weeeeell. :D What I call real bachata is a bachata with very few turns and salsa-like routines. It consists of just the basic steps, it's never danced with considerable distance between the partners, it's got lots of hip action, but not sloppy, "throw your hips around" action. What I'm feeling is right is when your hip movement is directly connected to your partner's body, directed by each others' body movement. There is NO ballroom frame - in fact, you have to be a bit hunched over, like you're cuddling. Leading happens from the lead's ribcage, which is pretty natural since you're very close.
    This is how I was taught and how I've realised it expresses the music best. IMO, of course.

T_E
  20. ash88

ash88 New Member

This is how i dance it also. I only do a basic step, with a very close hold. We move side to side, up and down, maybe a little diagonal. I have my hand in the centre of her back, which allows me to move her shoulders side to side. I use my thighs/hips to lead the steps. Naturally, our thighs are touching, although our chests are not (very close though). I am so close, that if she turns her head to face mine, and I turn mine to face hers, our lips would probably meet. Awww.......But true!