Bachata!

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by amo_dile_que_no, Jun 29, 2006.

1. thespina13

thespina13 New Member

Yup. Yes, this is my favorite way to dance it as well. I think doing turns and fun stuff is enjoyable too, but the real close, body-led bachata is something that puts the cherry on top of my night.

2. amo_dile_que_no

amo_dile_que_no New Member

Yes it is verrry sexy like that. :) I'm not saying I don't enjoy that aspect of it, but I don't think I would get many opportunities to dance it that way. It's not that I wouldn't enjoy the extremely close physical contact, but I think in the U.S. for the most part that kind of intimate contact is usually only considered appropriate with someone with whom you are intimate (of course I'm an older guy). Once I did ask a latina, who I had never danced with before, for a merengue that turned out to be body-to-body and very sexy (unfortunately have never run into her again) and it was wonderful. If I knew more women were open to dancing this way, I would be more likely to initiate dancing like that. But as several have noted, many ladies don't like that kind of intimate contact with someone they don't know well.
    I guess I'm prone to err on the side of caution in these matters.

As far the simplicity of the bachata, I quite agree that one shouldn't try the same quantity or types of moves that one would use for salsa. But, I think there are several nice creative things that one can do with turns that retain the romance and sensuality of the dance without making it too busy.

3. Salsero78501

Salsero78501 New Member

Hey Guys, My name is Jorge Elizondo and I love to dance and teach bachata. If your interested in learning more about bachata please visit my website. I also have free bachata video clips and instructional dvds.
    take care
    Jorge

4. Salsero78501

Salsero78501 New Member

One quick note, I have two new dvds on Pre-order. Learn to dance Bachata Volume 3 Advance Level and Volume 5 Adding Sensuality to your bachata dancing.
    check them out on my website.
    take care
    Jorge

5. terremoto

terremoto New Member

This is the DVD that I recommended earlier on in this thread. Its a quality DVD.

6. ssjss

ssjss New Member

See that's the thing. It isn't about being sexaul, it's more about the connection, letting go, emotions, there so much more. Bachata music its self is dark and depressing. When you dance to it try thinking more about the times in your life when you needed someone there, NOW is the time when they're there. So let the emotion of the music, the energy of the floor, and your own life move as one as your partner is doing the same. It's a time that the dance is used to heal old scares, so let go and DANCE.

7. thespina13

thespina13 New Member

that just made me feel like weeping. That'll change my dancing instantly.

8. ash88

ash88 New Member

Sooo true.....

It's ironic - I dance VERY close to the girl, our bodies are touching, we are nestled in each others arms AND YET, it is NOT sexual. It is more "emotional", or "loving". For me, to dance it as sensually as I would like, I would really have to want to communicate a loving feeling to my partner....But, i tend to reserve that sort of feeling for my girlfriend.

Herein lies the bachata dilemma: How do you dance it with full emotion without sending the wrong message? Where do you get the courage to dance it with the full emotion if you are dancing with strangers?

9. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

Personally, I don't. I'm very reserved by nature, so the real bachata is saved for the dancers I know well and trust enough, usually friends of mine. See, just last night a guy I didn't realise was drunk and sleazy asked to dance with me. NOT a bachata, but still. I stayed a considerable distance from him and when he asked me if I was single I told him that my boyfriend (cough cough no boyfriend) was lurking around, pretty jealous too. ;) Point of the story is that I can't give strangers the advantage of groping me before I manage to push them away. I pay extra attention to which guys I let close to my body.
    I get how it can be difficult for men. But here's a bright point: once there was this guy, a friend of a friend. I had never danced with him before, but he was a great dancer and he was very polite. He had me close (but not bachata close) and asked me if he could hold me closer. I was touched by this, it showed he respected me as a woman and a dancer. It turned out that we had great chemistry and danced a lot after that.

T_E

10. Sabor

Sabor New Member

being sexual is a good thing .. so long as its mutual, within dance dynamics and neatly expressed ..

as to how close one can get.. well.. i leave that up to connection and what rate will it result in..

yet.. for me.. too much space between the dancers is getting farther away from the 'spirit' of the bachata dance.. might as well not do it.. kinda like doing chacha on1.. (no offense to those who do that ofcourse)

11. thespina13

thespina13 New Member

Man, I'm a closeness junkie. There's just nothing like the feeling of being totally connected. I've met a few guys from whom i'd like to keep some distance, but they're in the minority. I also don't have any problem with expressing sexuality and sensuality in dance. The dance floor is the one place where the regular world's rules don't totally apply. It's the one place we can be free, where we can experience the world of the lyrics, of the music, of our inner selves, and leave it up there when we exit the dance floor. I take full advantage of that freedom, because as a person with constant responsibility, being watched at every turn, being a role model for three preeschoolers, the kind of escape, enchantment and passionate connection that's possible on the dance floor feels as necessary and refreshing as spring water. No holding back, baby. No shame!

12. mathina

mathina New Member

In the DC salsa clubs, we don't get a lot of bachata, boo. But I just spent about 17 days in Honolulu for work and hit four or five clubs, whose format was pretty much: three salsa, three merengue, three reggaeton, three bachata, and I LOVED it.

Why do I love bachata?

First, the music is impossibly romantic--certain bachata songs can ignite a feeling in me like...unh!

Second, the dance steps are simple (when you get a partner who's not throwing in all that salsa stuff), which allows for maximum expression of the music and whatever emotion it's creating in you. The stripped-down nature of the steps lets me close my eyes and truly be led in a way I don't ever feel I can relax enough in a salsa song to do.

Third, it does allow for that closeness that would be practically illegal off the dance floor.

Fourth, I can't explain it, but there simply is nothing hotter than a decisive, strong bachata lead. It melts me, utterly.

13. genEus

genEus New Member

Asked someone to dance a bachata this weekend and she replied that it wouldn't be fair to her husband and that she doesn't dance bachata with anyone else because it's "too romantic." She was very apologetic in saying that and we both had a good laugh about it, but what else could I do... :)
    hehe

14. ash88

ash88 New Member

Next bachata question...

ASSUMING that the lead is ONLY leading the basic step (in whatever direction)...Does it feel better to the follower if he dances it STRONGLY or relaxed/softly...?

Let me clarify...By "strong", i mean that he is using his frame to emphasise the motion of your ribcage; he generally takes bigger steps; his turns go around a greater number of degrees (because he leads them quicker and more forcefully). The hip tilt is sharp, decisive and punctuated. It feels like there's a lot of energy and movement in the dance.

By "soft", i mean he is moving only a little. Rather than moving your ribcage definitively, he is more guiding you to do a little bit of movement. His frame is a little softer. His hip tilt flows very softly into the broader stepping, so it's not accented much. His steps are smaller. Perhaps he is also holding you more delicately, as though he is scared of breaking you. His turns are more relaxed, going only around 180 degrees, instead of a more forceful 360. His body does not feel tense, but rather feels very malleable and soft.

Which do you prefer and why?

15. sac76

sac76 New Member

good question...what do u guys think?

16. squirrel

squirrel New Member

I prefer good connection and lots of ribcage moves. :) Yeah, and turning around. :) And no Salsa moves for me, please!

17. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

I prefer the first, but not roughly. I've had my share of rough bacahtas and it ain't pretty.

T_E

18. mathina

mathina New Member

This one, this one this one this one. Ash, you described exactly what is hot about the strong bachata lead--the ribcage stuff, the together-turns, the punctuation. Yes, yes, yes! That's it!

I also love a move where the lead stops his feet altogether and holds our arms in a very strong frame, allowing for that ribcage/hip action. And it goes without saying (or should) that a lead who is completely inside the music and so pausing dramatically with it and starting up again with it is extra hot.

19. Sabor

Sabor New Member

'snake' it .. softly .. smoothly.. hot .. hotter .. slide.. glide.. touch.. look .. close your eyes.. passion.. sway.. closer .. closer.. two in one.. so hot..

hmmmmm..

20. thespina13

thespina13 New Member

I think we should be thinking about putting an adult rating on some of these threads ;)