Bachata!

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by amo_dile_que_no, Jun 29, 2006.

1. englezul

englezul New Member

Actually bachata is lead entirely from the hips. The movement of the ribcage should not do the leading.
  2. englezul

englezul New Member

How about impressing them with how you don't feel like you need to impress them.
  3. Pacion

Pacion New Member

:lol: When I did ballroom and latin dance, my teacher used to say that if he could fit piece of paper (!) between the couples, we were dancing too far a part. Somehow, I always thought bachata was danced closer than those dances ;)
  4. sac76

sac76 New Member

actually i said that to be on the safe side as every follower has different view on closeness;) infact ur absolutely right...i stand corrected

Aside to englezul, yes the main lead comes from the hips hence there should be no gap whatsoever.... but i have seen leaders leading from ribcage as well which creates a nice isolation apart from the hips. its just optional i guess.. i usually lead from the hips and find it easier to lead the girl if theres no space between us
  5. baile

baile New Member

Your last sentence too abstract for me to follow. Que dices?
  6. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

baile

desculpme-- I should have been more specific-- They will frequently dance contra rhythm,
    using a fully syncop. bar, as in 1 and 2 and 3 and 4
    As to lead, mostly in closed position by the better dancers, and one should never lead with the hips. The action that the hip developes is determined by a high rib cage action which gives the cuban motion its sublety .
  7. NZ Dancer

NZ Dancer New Member

Bachata can be fun or sexy and it is great to dance with a partner when she choses the sexy option. Of course as a real gentleman, I would never make assumptions.....
  8. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

I sometimes break on 3...sometimes on 1 and sometimes on 2 too. Little variety here and there you know. They play the same old songs so I like experimenting and feeling the music differently. ;-)
  9. Josh

Josh Active Member

So, if my hips aren't touching the lady, I can't lead bachata? Or, I'm not dancing real bachata?
  10. sac76

sac76 New Member

you can still lead bachata, but its just that it wont feel right. how the lady is supposed to know that ur moving ur hips to the right? or left? or u wanna do the hip circular motion clockwise.how would the lady know that its clockwise and not anti clockwise? where does the lead come from?
  11. fallenangel

fallenangel New Member

For some strange reason when i hear bachata music i JUST had the FLAIR for it. The music, rhythm everything. Gives u the sexiness in dancing without having to do much.
    I think a lot of ppl tries too hard to be sexy when they dance and it tend to look unatural.
    And of course it has to be with someone your comfortable with. There's absolutely nothing wrong if u choose yr partner. After all bachata is a full body contact dance. Everyone has a personal preference.
    The dance is a interpretation of the music.
    Besides the basic step, focus on body isolation. Most ppl think they are moving their rib cage but they are not. They're either moving their shoulders or hips.

*tip
    In a stationary position, move yr rib cage.
    If yr shoulders or hips are moving then yr not moving yr rib cage.

Accent on the beat where it's suppose to accent. Either it's obvious hip motion,tap,kick,flick or whatever it's a personal style.

Better bachata dancer can play with the beats and timing. It will give the dance a different flavor.
    Relax, feel the music and your on cloud 9 :rolleyes:
  12. salsamale

salsamale New Member

I also prefer a very basic bachata, with few salsa moves, if any. However, I'll lead some moves if I know that my partner enjoys salsa with her bachata. Some simple salsa moves are sexy with bachata: snuggles for her or him, hammerlock for her. Slow dips are also fun.

There is one partner who maintains a stiff ballroom frame whenever we dance bachata. The last time we danced a bachata, I just played lightly with her fingertips, with my fingertips. This elicited a nice little laugh from her :). Other than that, we danced a very basic, and very chaste bachata, but it was one of my most enjoyable ones.
  13. amo_dile_que_no

amo_dile_que_no New Member

I just had to respond to this. I've been away for awhile. This is one of the few threads I started. I remember some of the first few said Oh no! we just talked about this 2 years ago. Nice to see it is still alive. Bachata is a nice change of pace for salsa. Whether your a grinder or not, it's a sensous and passionate dance. :D
  14. tj

tj New Member

I heard an unusual (well, to me at least) Bachata song the other night. It was totally different from what I've come to expect as Bachata. It reminded me more of a Cowboy Cha-Cha (lol, for those of you who are familiar with any C/W) than anything else.

I'll try to track down the name/artist next time I hear it.
  15. thespina13

thespina13 New Member

Nice to read a bit from you, padrino. :)

Yeah. the other night i was totally exhausted and overwhelmed and needing some comfort and sexy, easy, hip swaying. When I went to the club after rehearsal, I was just dying to be held and rocked and to just be allowed to close my eyes in a totally organic bachata. No such luck, unfortunately. I've realized just how much I look forward to those dances. They can be grounding and exciting all at the same time.
  16. tj

tj New Member

:cool: :cool:
  17. Monty

Monty New Member

I love it! It pushed Rumba from my personal favourite trone. :)
  18. salsamale

salsamale New Member

19. thespina13

thespina13 New Member

That's very cool.. I might have to try that and suggest it fo my teacher friends as a fun warm up...
  20. troy

troy New Member

Hey everyone, this is my first post (that was really lame to say but I felt I needed to say it.)

Also, last night was my first time dancing Bachata and I loved it. I'm not a good dancer but this one I could have fun with.

Looking forward to enjoying these forums. Thanks for sharing your wisdom!