Bachata!

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by amo_dile_que_no, Jun 29, 2006.

1. samina

samina Well-Known Member

oh, how cute. luv how they discovered that using their mouths worked best... maybe it's cuz it forced them to stop talking, as well...
  2. dansah

dansah New Member

Definitely led from the ribcage. Practice ribcage isolations back and forth. Also, I think it looks better for a guy to be moving his upper body rather than wiggling his hips. Obviously, as Englezul says the hips can lead the dance but I'd be careful about doing that when you're just learning.

Someone also asked about web locations for bachata instruction. bachatarueda.com is great. Jorge's DVD's are quite well done.
  3. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

To really get a true picture of Bachata-- watch Dominicans dance, when they use contra rhythm within the basic structure .
  4. Swannie

Swannie New Member

http://youtube.com/watch?v=wdSeG_ZrwDo
    Jump to 1minute in to avoid the dull intro. I believe this first guy has the syncopation, in buckets. I've tried to do this for a whole song. Tricky, but lots of fun to try. Need to get that move at 1:27 down ;)

I like the intro, "Dominican's don't really like all the crazy turns."

Bachata has a heavy 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 &.
    The percussion (sounds like bongos in most) often emphasises the 4 (on the hebra), a beat on 1,2,3, with the 4th bar of a phrase having quater notes (on the macho) for emphasis. (In fact it sounds very much like a martillo.)

I've not seen any videos on youtube teach it, and very few "teachers" actually do it.
  5. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

Yeah-- The lady did dance a little contra rhythm .
  6. tj

tj New Member

Ooo! Thanks! I had seen the video previously but hadn't been paying attention to Jorjet's movement.
  7. Swannie

Swannie New Member

http://youtube.com/watch?v=kb7425g9bKc

The audio is out of sync, but Susana is doing some syncopated steps, which I think TT is refering to. (I muted the audio, makes it much easier to see if you hear the music as expressed by their dancing).
  8. yippee1999

yippee1999 Member

I agree Swannie. That first guy in the red T-shirt is great, and the drop/turn at 1:27 is awesome!!

And in the second video, I really like that Susana Montero. She is terrific! I love the way she moves her hips and legs, and when she takes her right leg and slides it on the floor behind her in an arc shape.
  9. LovingIt28

LovingIt28 New Member

best post ever, thank yOU!!!
  10. LovingIt28

LovingIt28 New Member

just read the whole thread

thanks everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I LOVE BACHATA. two souls becoming one
  11. salsamale

salsamale New Member

12. yippee1999

yippee1999 Member

I've grown to really love dancing bachata. The music in fact does nothing for me (and I suspect it never will), but the dance itself I now love, especially once I found a man who dances it really well, who's a great lead, and with whom I found a wonderful connection. When we dance the bachata together, we are like one sinewy body moving in sync. I also feel that bachata gives me a bit more license to be intimate and sexy with someone on the dance floor, than say salsa does...
  13. EMOYENO

EMOYENO New Member

Two very good clips to enjoy:

..........................................................................................
  14. wonderwoman

wonderwoman Active Member

Really? ;)

I wish I was at DC bachata congress. My salsa scene is MIA this weekend because they ALL went there!
  15. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

The old not-enough posts monster strikes again. *shrug*
  16. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

17. brasilian

brasilian New Member

Song Lyrics

Anyone know the lyrics of Amor Perdoname by mojito project? It is a fantastic bachata!!
  18. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Nice. A good way to get closeness between dancers as they focus on keeping the apple from falling. The mouth to mouth that ended up happening was an interesting twist.
  19. Sagitta

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Krw7kg7cRDg This guy shows the 1, 2 cha cha cha as a shine, but if you watch youtube videos a lot of people do this little syncopation in doing bachata Dominican style. Could work well as part of teaching people...
  20. Sagitta