Backleading and hijacking...

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by brujo, Oct 22, 2003.

1. brujo

brujo New Member

I love it when a woman gives subtle and not so subtle hints when dancing that tells me what she wants. It's so much more a conversation than the typical caveman 'Yo, do this!'. How can I encourage this when dancing in a non-verbal way?

2. youngsta

youngsta Active Member

I love hijacking, a subtle push up into my palm during a turn so she can slowly style it out 8) , but I don't care for backleading and I can feel it as soon as she starts. To me that's a lack of trust and if she doesn't trust me I'd rather dance with someone else.

I think the way a guy dances pretty much shows if he is receptive to moves being hijacked for the sake of enjoyment.

3. SwinginBoo

SwinginBoo New Member

Brujo, if you are leading her through a turn and the music calls for some improvisation, you can just leave your arm up and use your other hand to motion the way you do when you let someone go in front of you (after you, no after you, no after you I insist, etc.) That will indicate to her that she is free to improv and take her time through the turn.

4. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Not especially in Salsa, but other dances . . .

I've learned to just let her "hangout a while." Don't pull/push her off on count 1 . . . just let her go. I try to switch to a R to R hand connection before I play, and if this doesn't happen . . . I do as Boo suggested . . . leave your arm and don't do anything with it, sometimes facing the slot and let her come down the slot . . . playing as they always do so well!

And . . since I've learned to follow (somewhat), I like when the follower hijacks me and takes the lead, but knows when to give it back . . . hell, I've even been dipped after being hijacked!!! Whoa, what a surprise that was.

If you hold her back and play, syncopate, etc., she'll get the hint and do the same!

Backleading??? NO WAY!!!

5. brujo

brujo New Member

A progress report on this:

Started following some of this advice:

Test 1: leaving hand up a little longer, letting the hand out a little more. More often than not, the girl will just stand there, looking at me with a blank look. 4- counts, 8 counts, 16 counts -> blink, blink. Maybe the salsa world is not ready for this whole non-communication thingamagick.

Test 2: change hands so that she is now holding my hands in a lead position. I smile and say "Do whatever you want". She smiles back and leads me in a crazy knat turn. For the remainder of the dance, when I kinda let go a little, she will improvise and smile. It is so much more fun...

Results may vary according to location.

6. MissAlyssa

MissAlyssa New Member

I love hijacking during dancing. I have a bad habit of backleading (on accident, I don't realize I'm doing it) because I'm a teacher and I'm in the process of training another instructor :oops:

7. youngsta

youngsta Active Member

LOL!! Here's the deal Brujo. You'll have to be with an experienced follower for this method to work. Most beginner or even intermediate dancers will do exactly what you said happened. They almost seem 'lost' without you leading them to do something. An experienced follower will always be ready to freestyle. That's one reason why more advanced dancers never look like they make a mistake. They cover up mistakes with impromptu freestyle moves.