Ballet Beautiful

Discussion in 'Dance Websites' started by flashdance, Mar 4, 2011.

1. flashdance

flashdance Active Member

http://www.balletbeautiful.com/

Lovely gallery and you can also take ballet classes on-line! (how cool is that?)

Mary Helen Bowers is the lady who was pinnacle to Natalie Portman's success in 'Black Swan'.

:cool:
  2. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Thanks, Flash! We'll have to check that out! :notworth:
  3. Silmarwen

Silmarwen Member

This would be so cool! Can anyone speak to the quality/level of the ballet classes?
  4. ColorfulRibbons

ColorfulRibbons New Member

I have seen this before and I remember thinking the prices were so expensive. I cannot speak for the quality of her teaching. IMHO, I don't think a beginner should start ballet online. As ballet is a technique-based dance, it requires a strong foundation and I do not believe that virtual learning would suffice as you need a teacher to actually see you and physically correct you, if necessary. Even if someone wanted to try ballet "just for fun" and not interested in the perfect technique, if their allignment is not proper, they could put themselves at risk of injury. If someone took ballet before and was doing online classes for brush up or what have you, it is perhaps a different story.

Even then, though, you do not have the luxury of a studio space. After you move away from the barre and go to centre, especially in grand allegro, ballet is a dance that takes up the whole floor and and most people (and def. not me!!) have space like that in their living rooms.
    TrangBui likes this.
  5. hereKittyKitty

hereKittyKitty Administrator Staff Member

Ballet Beautiful = HARD WORK...but in a good way. I love this work out. It looks so easy...Don't be deceived;) Its not Ballet Lessons per se. Its exercises to get you looking like you have the body of a ballerina. I have not tried the live classes,but Mary's videos (classic body, body blasts)have been a staple for me while recovering from Plantar Fasciitis (can't run :() and they are very difficult.
  6. hereKittyKitty

Whats encouraging is she developed this type of workout after recovering from a foot injury...same as me :)
    ColorfulRibbons likes this.
  7. ColorfulRibbons

ColorfulRibbons New Member

Thanks for your review. Best of luck on your recovering. I have a couple of friends with Plantar... I hope the strengthening from the ballet will help! :)
  8. hereKittyKitty

It has helped immensely and I have been able to resume some running (albeit on a soft treadmill only;) about 3 days a week.)But even when I fully recover, I can't imagine giving up ballet beautiful. I think the stretching in between sets as well as the exercises in Demi-pointe (mostly the bridge series) have been the most helpful. Also I wrap my arch with athletic tape at all times and always wear basic orthotics in my shoes (even my slippers).
    ColorfulRibbons likes this.
  9. TrangBui

TrangBui New Member

It's tough for a beginner like my baby.