Ballroom and the economy

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by pygmalion, Apr 20, 2005.

1. DancingMommy

DancingMommy Active Member

To Warren -

I'd be willing to bet that a cruise is cheaper than an NDCA comp. In fact, if we're talking NDCA comps here in FLORIDA, I can absosmurfly guarantee that a Carnival cruise is cheaper.

Here's why:

If I want to cruise from Florida, I have my choice of Jax (2 hours away), Cape Canaveral (40 minutes away), Miami (4 hours away), Tampa ((2 hours away). The run of the mill Carnival cruise (3 days, 2 nights) is roughly $300 per person double occupancy. Food, stateroom, vacation. Not including alcohol or gambling.

A competition in Tampa is going to cost me a minimum of $200 a NIGHT for a hotel room. Then we have tickets into the ballroom, entry fees, food, gas to get there, etc. All this presumes I'm not on the "package".

I would end up spending in the neighborhood of a grand just for a 3 day two night comp - NOT including costumes to attend if I wanted to enter enough events to be "allowed" into the scholarship division. And that is competing AMATEUR. I'm not even going to touch pro-am.

Yup. A cruise is cheaper. And did I mention I could take the kids on teh cruise? They pay half fare. SO, for a bout the same money as a dance comp, we can have a family vacation. Let's see.......
  2. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

Problem solved. I'm gonna go out and buy me one of those used cruise ships (you know, the one that was the BIGGEST ship 5 years ago) and call it the "Dance Boat." And I'm going to run competitions on it. This way, you get a two-fer. Sound good? Bring the kids, too. We'll set them up with some dance lessons while we're all competing.

Oh, and everyone has to wear cruisewear as their costumes. In fact, let's just dance in our bathing suits!!

Welcome back, Laura.
  3. DancingMommy

MQ - I'm with YOU!

Boyohboy would that be rockin' or what?!
  4. cl5814

cl5814 New Member

DITTO.
  5. mamboqueen

Bahama Mamas included.

Woo hoo!
  6. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

I'm not coming unless some bar tender knows how to make yellow birds and a good rum punch. If those are included, I'll be there! :roll: :lol:
  7. tsb

tsb Well-Known Member

i wouldn't bet that this would conitnue if terrorists elected to make a cruise ship their next target.

if i am allowed to tangent briefly, larinda touched on it describing it as a sense of mistrust. confidence is a key issue when it comes to economic matters; economics (especially micro) is as much psychology as it is anything else. speaking as an econ major & as a currency trader i will point out that there is a very real chance that the euro will replace the dollar as the world's base currency within the next ten years - confidence in the dollar began to erode with the terrorist attack on the towers on 9/11. pre 9/11 the pound was about $1.45. now it's about $1.92 - or worth about 35% less in less than 4 years. the euro was at .95 but is now $1.30 - again, about 35% of buying power gone.
  8. pygmalion

Sorta back to topic. I wonder how the franchises have fared, through all this stuff. When I go back and visit Orlando, next month, I think I'll visit with some old friends and ask about life at the old studio. I have to wonder how the lucrative clientele held up through all the economic upheaval.

Warren's right, btw, the 9-11 impact was financial, but also social. At least right after 9-11, there was a lot of "how dare you be having fun at such a serious time?" backlash. :(

I wonder how things are faring these days. Is a rebound on the way yet, I wonder? :?
  9. mamboqueen

You're in charge of the bar. Didn't you know that?? :D

First drink = the Tango-ray. Tangueray and well, more Tangeuray.
    Second drink = Rumba Punch. You got it, rum and more rum.

Any others?
  10. DancingMommy

Samba Sling - A Singapore Sling with a South American feel....
  11. chrisjohnston

chrisjohnston Well-Known Member

Can I request that the ladies wear fishnets with their bathing suits. Cheers Chris
  12. mamboqueen

DM = second shift bar manager.

Yes, Chris, "fish" nets would be appropriate cruisewear; not limited to just the ladies, though :)
  13. pygmalion

ROTFL! Consider it done. With enough rum punch available, I bet you can talk the ladies into it. :wink: :lol: :lol:
  14. Warren J. Dew

Warren J. Dew Well-Known Member

The last few NDCA competitions I did, here in the Northeast, were less expensive than that - some considerably so. Even back when I was doing pro-am, it was only about $300 per competition after everything was included, and that was with a single occupancy hotel room.

Maybe the lesson is if you want to go on cruise ships, live in Florida; if you want to go to ballroom competitions, live in the Northeast.
  15. Warren J. Dew

Warren J. Dew Well-Known Member

I'd be interested in what they have to say.

To the extent they focus on social dance, they might be doing okay. I know of three new studios that opened in my area in the past year or two, one of which was a Fred Astaire.
  16. pygmalion

:lol: :lol: Sounds good.
  17. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

To be clear: I love NDCA comps. The last comp I went to was an NDCA comp, and I had a great time. My comments about the bizarre economic model the ballroom world employs was not meant as a knock of the product, just of the pricing model. I still think ballroom comps are priced with the upper-middle class (and above) in mind.

Warren, would you be willing to share your list of bargain comps? Pretty please?

:) ChaChaMama
  18. pygmalion

There's a thread with a list already started. Not sure where it is, though. It's been a while. If I can find it, I'll resurrect it.

Here it is.

http://www.dance-forums.com/viewtopic.php?p=151058#151058

And, btw, I agree that ballroom in the US is primarily aimed at people with plenty of spare cash. Hmm. It's a pricing model that seems to work. *shrug*
  19. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

I think that really is the operative question: is the current pricing model working? And if it is working, are there other models that could work as well or better? (E.g., would there be better growth in competition earnings under a different model?)

If some comps are running into financial difficulty, then maybe these are at least questions worth asking.

Some will argue that changing the pricing structure would make no difference either because A) there is a finite amount of interest in dance in the U.S., or B) there are too many comps and the problem is really that comps are competing with each other. Possibly true, but not obviously true by any means.

That a Gap advertisement could have set off a swing craze shows you that there is at least some untapped interest in dance out there....

:) ChaChaMama
  20. chrisjohnston

chrisjohnston Well-Known Member

Interesting that you should mention the Swing craze.I believe that was more about rebelling against the norm than about the dancing.Most of the kids who came to our events just wanted to dress up in something different.As for the music it really was not swing music.It was more like punk with a little melody.Cheers Chris