Ballroom and the economy

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by pygmalion, Apr 20, 2005.

1. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I think both are important questions
  2. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

I'm re-looking at expenses again in the new year. My rent is going up come Jan 1, and general prices for everyday goods and services keep rising....and let's not even mention the potential fiscal cliff impacts.... sigh.
  3. fascination

I'm in the top 2 %...I am going off the cliff no matter what :)...but I am not complaining...and let's let that be all that we say on the matter :)
  4. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

In Australia, lol.

Am comps, in a fairly low-key dance state. We don't have very many huge comps. Entry fee covers attendance and dancing.
  5. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

I think pro am competing is always a balance between what you want to do and what you can do... and figuring out what things can be eliminated and what things should be added.
  6. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

[/QUOTE]
    I'm in the top 2 %...I am going off the cliff no matter what :)[/QUOTE]

wanna share a parachute??
  7. fascination

8. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

its a big parachute

we can event put the ndca logo on it
    3wishes likes this.
  9. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

Just curious, can anyone comment on the juniors and their ballroom participation levels? I don't mean the college kids and young adults, who're supposed to pay their own way (and more often than not have limited resources, even when the economy is good), but younger kids whose parents will be paying their expenses. IMV, that's a good indicator of how things are, because parents are more likely to give up something they're doing for themselves before they cut back on kids activities to save money.
  10. JANATHOME

JANATHOME Well-Known Member

LOL so funny, a NDCA logo would be great!! I won't find myself in the 2% group in this lifetime!

Hummm, now I have a financial situation with no work around.
    The studio I dance at has recently changed their model... Next month they are going to a studio where all the instructors will be independent, paying a floor fee and all other financial matters will be between student and pro.
    At first I thought that is fine but then I thought, oh wait...

Every lesson I purchase, every comp charge goes on a points credit card, pay bill end of month, rinse and repeat. Also, I floated it... A month of lessons would be purchased one day after the closing of my CC statement, giving me a month of free cash.... (OK, yes I am a CPA)

This is really a benefit to me, in fact my flight to OSB was all from points. Often my hotel costs are also with points. Now with this new model I loose the ability to pay by CC, loose the points and no way to offset comp travel. When you take a lot of lessons and many traveling comps this is a real dollar savings. I looked at paying pro by paypal but the fee would exceed my points savings..

Under this model, the now independent instructor will set his own prices for lessons and comps... I am a little nervous as to what the new model is going to mean to me. I will just have to wait and see what the new rates will look like.

Being a financial person myself I added it up in my head and tried to figure out why a well established studio would go this route. To me, it seems like revenue will be lost not gained... So I figured for the husband and wife studio owners it was not a financial move but more quality of life... Who knows!!

Just another example of how things change with the economy.
  11. tanya_the_dancer

My guess that it is prompted by the new healthcare law. If everyone is an independent contractor, they have to worry about their own health insurance, whereas if the studio was employing them, it might affect the studio as well.
    TinyDancer109 likes this.
  12. TinyDancer109

TinyDancer109 Well-Known Member

i agree that not being able to get points on my credit card for my lesson payments is the downside to having an independent pro....
    ChaChaMama likes this.
  13. fascination

lolz...and I would be terrified to put what I pay weekly for lessons on credit
  14. TinyDancer109

TinyDancer109 Well-Known Member

its just for the cash back. i pay it off right away.
  15. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

TD109--Right there with you! I would love to pay with my AmEx and get points! We stayed at the Grand Floridian at Disney and Royal Pacific at Universal entirely on AmEx points on our last family vacation.
    Then again, it would be even cooler if when I buy my next new car cash down, they would let me do it via AmEx (and then I could pay it off in full), but I don't think that's going to happen either!
    TinyDancer109 and 3wishes like this.
  16. JANATHOME

Yes, the key is that whatever lesson you put on your CC, you must look at it the same as cash. If you cant pay it all at the end of month, then don't do it... Never once have I not paid the CC bill in full for lessons. It is a discipline and if you don't have that, then sure, pay cash.

I guess my point is that under the present studio I had the option to pay by CC and earn points, and there is real dollar value for me in this... (My husband often refers to me as a point whore)

Sure, when I do a now and then coaching lesson I pay cash/check, but week by week if I cant pay by credit card the cost of my lesson has just gone up...

I mean, really do you all accept that you have to pay cash for every lesson???
    Might be missing the boat here but there is a cost to doing business and I am not sure I am willing to front this cost in addition to what I already pay for each lesson.... GROWL
    TinyDancer109 likes this.
  17. tanya_the_dancer

I've been writing checks or paying cash for my lessons for years, I don't have a problem with that. I largely ignore any CC awards programs, so don't really care.
  18. jump'n'jive

jump'n'jive Active Member

there is no reason why your pro can't take a credit card in this day in age. i use square up to accept my students cc's. there is also intuit as well as pay pal if you want to go that route. also if teacher doesnt have a mobile based device like i have said, getting a web based merchant account is simple(have used it in that past).

now some pro's might only accept x dollar amount via credit card(i have a 400 dollar minium). the service charge for accepting vary's so if said instructor is going to accept a cc then be prepared to pay the cost we will incur by taking your credit card, esp if it is going to a third party like an organizer to a comp.
  19. JANATHOME

Maybe Jump and Jive you are missing my point!!!
    When paying thru the studio by CC, I was not charged a fee to pay by CC....
    If as you say be prepared to now pay the pro for the CC merchant charge, my lesson fee has gone up.
  20. jump'n'jive

jump'n'jive Active Member

it shouldnt matter on lesson fee. that factors into the cost of doing business. maybe i wasn't clear i apologize for that. if the pro is not willing to offer the cc because of the small percentage he loses from the sale then that is his choice.

what i meant was if payiny by cc for a comp or any third party sale, then be prepared to pay for him for taking your credit card. you can bet your bottom dollar the studio figured it into the package cost they sold you and you didnt even know it. now it is going to be a lot more "open pricing" so to speak.