Ballroom and the economy

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by pygmalion, Apr 20, 2005.

1. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Unless...perhaps students would take more lessons/do more competitions if they could charge them and not have to actually come up with the cash as they go? I am actually glad that is not an option with most pros and comps, because I could see spending way more than I could afford if I could put it on a credit card. Having to come up with a check for comps and lessons keeps me from overextending myself financially in the dance world.
    GGinrhinestones likes this.
  2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

two things my spouse will never allow: a gun and dance lessons on credit....not certain which he would find to be more dangerous, but I am certain that neither would be tolerated...and probably with good reason
    GGinrhinestones and debmc like this.
  3. JANATHOME

JANATHOME Well-Known Member

I guess I also read it wrong Jump...
    I thought with a transfer, not a sale, it was the cost of the sender (me)
    Anyway this turned out to be way too much work for just points....I am back to check/cash basis....
  4. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

I agree Fasc. Knowing I could charge all the lessons/coachings/comps I wanted to might be too much for me!
  5. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

I use PayPal Janathome to transfer $$ to my daughter(s) since it's direct into their accounts. The transfer fee, if assessed is based on what you select as the reason for the transfer of $$. I've never been charged a fee. It does take a few days for the funds to clear and be available in the other persons account. For my Oregon Daughter this is a God-sent, for my Texas daughter - she never remembers how to do this. sigh. For me? it's quicker than a check going through the mail - just sayin. And I don't charge by CC my dance lessons, ever. I also do the reward points though on CC - via everything else including groceries - paid off always - monthly basis. Use points for travel and hotel rooms, down payment on car, gift cards for Christmas. Those are the biggees for us.
  6. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Sigh... Last night DW and I decided not to go to Nashville Starz, which we had been planning on. It's just too much money, and after seeing the schedule we realized that we'd have to take three days off from work, just a few weeks after Christmas. We were hoping that we'd be able to share some of the instructor costs, but the guy who was going to split the cost on our female instructor won't be able to go for medical reasons, plus the hotel is not included in the package and it's high.
  7. fascination

bummer...hug
    cornutt likes this.
  8. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Thanks, Fasc. We're looking for something else to do this year... We have fun at the small comps we attend, but I'd like to go to a bigger comp where I will have more competition, so I can kind of see where I stand. We're trying to find one where maybe we can do a multi-dance and a few scholarships and it won't cost an arm and a leg. I'd also kind of like to get out of our usual circuit and do something in another part of the country. See some new territory, so to speak.
  9. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

I don't know what part of the country you are in, but I like Heritage. Hotel is beautiful, but expensive, but there are less expensive hotels in the town. The comp is big enough for good competition,but small enough that it is not overwhelming.
  10. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

My teacher suggests it every year, and I keep saying "no" to it. I feel like it's too expensive, especially airline tickets and hotel part.
  11. jump'n'jive

jump'n'jive Active Member

heritage is my favorite comp of the year. the hotel is amazing and the spa is out of this world. sucks they closed the dueling piano/cigar bar downstairs though :(
  12. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

Well, if you were willing to consider dancing just with your wife, it's hard to beat the value of the USA Dance competitions. (Particularly since I don't believe we have any of the larger, open-to-the-public college comps anywhere close.) Usuing an admittedly generous defintion of the term, there are multiple NQEs within driving distance in 2013. Many of those should have a good-sized Huntsville contingent, so you could even find someone to carpool with if you wanted to go that route. (And yes, that's me making an offer for any comps I go to.)

On the pro-am front (and I totally understand and respect the idea of wanting to stick with that), I think you'd be hard-pressed to do better than Vol State in July. It's not quite as big as Starz, but it's not trivial either. And it's a bit cheaper. And, of course, its being very nearly local would maximize your chances of getting someone else interested in going to help divvy up the costs.
  13. fascination

I love heritage but I would not call it cheap if one is staying on site....certainly, I know many who come and stay off site...I try to never miss heritage
  14. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

LOVED HERITAGE my fave event soo far!!! the property is beautiful pony up and stay there!!!
  15. Wannabee

Wannabee Active Member

I also decided to forego Starz this year. Last year it was freezing cold, middle of winter so it gets dark so early, and as we were a couple of ladies on our own, we didn't want to splurge for a cab and we didn't feel comfortable walking around downtown at night in a city we barely knew, so we ended up eating almost every meal in the hotel bar/restaurant. One night our pro went to dinner/club with us and we walked to a couple of places, but he knew where to go. We didn't. We had a hard time finding restaurants within walking distance (and it was freezing to be walking around a lot anyway...did I mention that? lol).

The best part of it all (and obviously had nothing to do with the actual comp itself)... the heat was out in our room. We asked the desk to move us, but they kept insisting they would be right up to "fix" it. They had to come back multiple times and in the end, it never got fixed. Thankfully, it was working just enough so that we didn't see our breath, but not well enough at all to warm us up in the middle of winter after spending all day in a freezing ballroom, walking around outside where it's cold, etc. Our only solice was a steaming hot shower. The hallway was much warmer than our room.

And alas, since I don't get to do comps very often anyway, I think I'm planning to try a comp out in a city I've never been, just for funsies (in the spring, summer, or fall because clearly I HATE winter lol), if I can find one in my price range...
  16. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

Just my personal pov, but when I go to a competition, my primary goal is to compete. Most of the time I don't get to enjoy the amenities like a spa or a pool anyway, there's just not enough time (and after I spent money on the entries and other related costs, I just don't feel like plunking more on a spa or pricy meals). So, a very opulent & expensive property is an overkill IMV. I do prefer to stay on site, because it's much more convenient that way, so when the hotel becomes too pricey, it becomes a deciding factor for me whether I will say "yes" or "no" to a comp.
    danceronice likes this.
  17. Mr 4 styles

\

see u at galaxy in az you will love the weather
  18. singndance

singndance Well-Known Member

Agreed! I hope I will be able to attend this year!
  19. Wannabee

Wannabee Active Member

That sounds like fun... but if I adhere to ALL of my criteria, I've already been to Phoenix/Scottsdale :).
  20. Mr 4 styles

see you at san diego dancesport??

holiday???

colorado dancesport jam???