Ballroom and the economy

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by pygmalion, Apr 20, 2005.

1. Wannabee

Wannabee Well-Known Member

San Diego has definite possibilites...
  2. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

i knew id find one!!! LOL
  3. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

I'm thinking you are out west?... :)
  4. Mr 4 styles

[/QUOTE]
    I'm thinking you are out west?... :)[/QUOTE]

yup im thinking im the only one too:(
  5. frotes

frotes Member

6. Mr 4 styles

its a miracle
  7. Wannabee

Try being from a southern "fly-over" state if you want to really feel alone..
    debmc likes this.
  8. Mr 4 styles

at least you are in the same time zone as all the east coast peeps when you post:rolleyes:
    Wannabee likes this.
  9. bia

bia Well-Known Member

Hey, Wannabee, I know of at least three other DFers who join us in that category. We're not as alone as all that!
    debmc likes this.
  10. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Present...
  11. Wannabee

That's good to know! :). I was beginning to think i was the only ballroom dancer west of the Mississippi, south of the Mason-Dixon, and east of the Rockies lol. Now if only they would host 5 or 6 decent sized comps a year within easy driving distance of me...
  12. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Same here. Though I'll even go so far as to skip the venue hotel if there's a cheaper hotel in the vicinity. At Michigan, assuming they're at the same hotel under new management (I don't remember what the old Hyatt became) I'll just stay at the Extended Stay America that's a four-minute drive around the loop. I also vend at steampunk events and just did the same thing--I got a much nicer room for a better rate at the Comfort Suites next to the Marriott where the convention was. Five-minute walk or two-minute drive, saved probably $200 over the four nights.
    3wishes and Bailamosdance like this.
  13. Bailamosdance

Bailamosdance Well-Known Member

Amenities are nice I guess but one thing nobody mentions is that many comps are held in convention / meeting hotels that are really set up for large groups during weekdays. Weekend staffing and quality of meals and service drop decidedly, usually when you are needing this the most at a comp. Comps that are in isolation in an industrial park or non walkable area also means you are a captive to their food hours, prices, etc. Getting food at 11pm (after you dance) can be impossible. Add in daily parking and drivability to the real cost of a hotel stay and it sometimes is much better to stay away from the hotel for these conveniences. And, hotel food is not really very good for you most times lol...
  14. Standarddancer

Standarddancer Well-Known Member

Well, high cost of hotel and airfare had always been an issue and biggest barriers for entering the comp, with this bad economy, most of the time the deciding factors for whether or not entering a comp really depends the deals from hotel and if could find reasonable enough airfare, plus if comp is good schedule, no need for an extra day hanging there paying extra day hotel and cannot work. We had to decide to not going some comps because bad scheduling such as our events were on a Friday and Sunday, leaving Saturday for us hanging there, taking extra day off work but had to pay hotel.

At some Florida comps, it is possible to find cheaper smaller hotels near venue and paying a fraction of comp hotel price, We've done that. Sometimes it is cheaper to buy a package deal from website such as travelocity, sometimes it is cheaper to book directly from hotel using my hotel credit card and earn points. I've tried all possible ways.
  15. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

I can see that, but it seems that during a comp I am often going back to my room for something...between different rounds. It helps if my room is at the comp hotel. That being said, I hardly ever take full advantage of the hotel amenities ( like the wonderful spa at Grove Park Inn in Heritage.. I've done that comp twice, and still have not used the spa), in fact, I hardly ever even see the city that I am in! I may have to change that! Meals at any hotel during competition week can be a disaster... I agree with that!
  16. jump'n'jive

jump'n'jive Active Member

you are missing out on a lot if you are not seeing any of ashville! such a gorgeous city, great food and art, the biltmore is awesome to tour, excellent live music.
    GGinrhinestones likes this.
  17. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

If I'm not doing a local comp, I try to do one that either

A) has nicer weather (e.g., Florida in winter), or
    B) is the home city of close friends or relatives with whom I can go out to a meal post-comp.

It's a different way of getting bang for the buck.
    Bailamosdance and fascination like this.
  18. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

I know! I did get a chance to tour the biltmore but would love to see more of the city. Maybe this year!
  19. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

Don't JUST TOUR the Biltmore, if you have time, take the short hike to the Lake where she would fish with her daughter, the path is stellar easy touring hike, and if it's October and the colors are changing - a camera is a must. Goregous. just sayin!
  20. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

I have stayed off-site a few times and I found it to be too inconvenient. I'd rather share the room with pro's other student, which actually worked quite well. At this point, the only comp, where I'd stay off-site again, is Colorado Starball, which is in my parents extended backyard (20 minute drive :) ).