Ballroom at the 80s

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Joe, Mar 7, 2007.

1. Ithink

Ithink Active Member

I believe Piano Man is very much a 70s song though:( A nice one but definitely from the 70s...
  2. Medira

Medira New Member

Ack! You're right. Piano Man was '73 and She's Always a Woman was '77.

*snaps fingers* Darn.
  3. DrDoug

DrDoug Active Member

I believe that was Simple Minds.
  4. Medira

Medira New Member

Ack! You're right. I think my brain was already on to the next song.
  5. SyrU_dancer

SyrU_dancer New Member

kenny loggins - footloose theme - jive/lindy
    frankie goes to hollywood - hustle
    oo you could cha cha to the Beverly hills cop theme! +5 for authentic eddie murphy crazy outfit!
  6. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Possibly. :)
  7. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

I see the list is very heavy on Latin. Any more Standard dances? There's a Billy Joel song that makes a nice Foxtrot...um, "Leave A Tender Moment Alone?"
  8. suburbaknght

suburbaknght Well-Known Member

We're talking Billy Joel?

"Christie Lee," makes an awesome (though fast!) swing.

"Shameless," is technically a foxtrot though it never had the right feel for me, but then again I like my foxes to have more of a brassy sound.

"Everybody Has a Dream," works for waltz.
  9. Angelo

Angelo New Member

Could you quickstep to "I want candy" by Bow wow wow?
  10. Ithink

Ithink Active Member

Taco's Puttin' on the Ritz is a slow q-step.

Aerosmith" Janie's Got a Gun - foxtrot

U2's With or Without You - foxtrot

Hello Again - cha cha or tango (but more cha cha:()

Waltz is gonna be tough - not much written in 3/4 time in the 80s, the age of the synthesizer...
  11. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Oooh, if you can bend your brain to make With or Without You a foxtrot, then you could also consider "Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" a foxtrot, too. I like this idea.

(Still Haven't Found is DH's and my song... Happy thoughts...)
  12. Ithink

Ithink Active Member

I think timing wise, yes you could dance Ft to it, but there is a lot of percussive guitar there (a U2 trademark) which kinda prevents my brain from bending that far:) Foxtrot, at the very least, has to be smooth...
  13. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

What about some music by Van Morrison? He's usually good for the occasional foxtrot.
  14. Peaches

You know, I never specifically noticed the percussive guitar before. How 'bout that. Meh. Wouldn't phase me, but that's probably b/c of my attachment to the song. (Or b/c I've been too heavily influenced by AT, and will dance what I want to dance, to what I want to dance it to. Percussive guitar be damned! :) )
  15. marktheshark

marktheshark New Member

Isn't that a cha-cha?

Btw:

Alphaville - Big in Japan (Samba)
    Fine Young Cannibals - Good thing (Jive)
    Elton John & KD Lang - Teardrops (Jive)
    Gloria Estefan & Miami Sound Machine - Conga (Samba/Mambo)
  16. Ithink

Ithink Active Member

You forget that I am also a westie and have been very much exposed to "I will dance WCS to whatever song is playing, character of the music be damned";). But when it comes to foxtrot, all I know is that it has to be smooth and lyrical and/or smooth and jazzy.

I do love the song you speak of though. I love many songs by U2!
  17. Peaches

If you're doing 80's classics, you absolutely MUST include "Video Killed the Radio Star" by The Buggles (hustle). How can you not, with the MTV link and all that?
  18. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

Ditto. I *love* "One", however I am much more partial to the version with MJB (a nice rumba)...I suppose that would be cheating as it was only released last year.

I actually had this thought while trying to come up with 80's music. What do we call the particular decade we're in right now? I mean, in 2011, we can say it's the teens, in the 20's, obviously the 20's, etc...
  19. Medira

Medira New Member

Hmm....must think on this.

However, you can tango to The Proclaimers' "(I'm Gonna Be) 500 Miles"
  20. hamstersphere

hamstersphere New Member

My sad little contribution :) :
    XTC - 1000 Umbrellas - VW