Ballroom attire stores in NYC?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Smooth Dancer, Aug 7, 2011.

1. Smooth Dancer

Smooth Dancer Active Member

We l live in the midwest (central Illinois) where well-stocked ballroom attire stores are about as rare as oceans, but we'll be in NYC in a few months. Does any know of a large, well-stocked ballroom attire store there? This is my first shot at buying this stuff (we just started competing, at Bronze). Nothing fancy or "designer-ish" -- only basic Smooth/Rhythm attire. Especially men's, but ladies also. Would be nice if they had a sales staff that could offer sound advice! (Probably should PM me on this one.)

Alternately, we'll be driving there so we could stop at any big city along the way, so they're fair game also.
  2. tangoking

tangoking Member

Male, female, or both? Shoes too?
  3. shimkirina

shimkirina New Member

Worldtone Dance is a good one for shoes! They are at 230 7th Ave, 2nd Floor, New York, NY 10011, between 23rd and 24th St.

I also just discovered Glamour and Glow. They don't have as many shoes as Worldtone, but they have a really great selection of practice and competition dance attire for both males and females. They are located at 252 West 38th Street Suite #1401, New York, NY 10018, between 7th and 8th Ave.

Basic Ballroom also carries Dore costumes and a few items of practicewear. They are at 335 West 35 Street (5th floor), New York, NY 10001.

Hope this helps!
  4. Smooth Dancer

Smooth Dancer Active Member

Men's performance clothes primarily, but shoes for both, and lady's performance dresses would be nice. (Again, all basic stuff.)
  5. dlliba10

dlliba10 Well-Known Member

Worldtone is GREAT for shoes - fantastic selections for both men and women, great sale section, friendly and helpful staff as well. The downside is that the only men's attire they have consistently is Latin pants - I've only seen one type of men's shirt there in the last five months.

Looks like I have some new places to check out ... Thanks, shimkirina! :)
  6. cloey

cloey New Member

I bought my black practice skirt in Capezio (1650 Broadway) years ago and still wear it every week, great quality.
  7. TinyDancer109

TinyDancer109 Well-Known Member

Glamour&Glow in NYC (fashion district) has EVERYTHING... practice clothes, shoes, jewelery, costumes, tanner, etc.
  8. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

I was in NYC today so I checked out both Glamour and Glow and Basic Ballroom. I really liked Glamour and Glow, they had a nice selection of gowns and the staff was very friendly, very helpful, and not pushy at all which I liked. Basic Ballroom had very little stuff and the Dore costumes were just on a rack and my mom and I just went to look at them, no one helped us out at all.

I was only looking for gowns though, so I can't say anything about anything else, but Glamour and Glow also had a lot of other stuff around including some nice costume jewelry that I wouldn't even let myself look at because I know I don't need any right now!
  9. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

If you are still in NYC, there is a competition with vendors galore. Comp is in hotel on broadway and 49th, the crowne plaza
  10. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

Unfortunately I'm not going to have time to go into NYC tomorrow (I'm actually staying in Jersey.) Thanks for the tip though!
  11. TinyDancer109

TinyDancer109 Well-Known Member

thank you for the kind compliments, mindputtee and shimkirina! :)