Ballroom Dance and Haiti

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Linda J Schlensker, Jan 14, 2010.

1. TinyDancer109

TinyDancer109 Well-Known Member

My deepest sympathies, condolences, and prayers for Emmanuel. It is a terrible tragedy to lose a child.

Likewise to everyone else who has lost a loved one in Haiti, and my prayers and best wishes to Ricardo Sopin to find his daughter.
  2. Angel HI

Angel HI Well-Known Member

Things like this are the reason I have stayed away from this thread. May God be with this family, and the poor people of Haiti. I am trying to find info on a friend of mine, as well.
  3. Linda J Schlensker

Linda J Schlensker New Member

Most of the family and close friends are staying away from this thread and that is very much as it should be. The emotions and tasks at hand are rightly focused on finding and reconnecting with family if at all possible. The rest of us need to be aware of what is going on so we can help effectively. Give space where it is needed, make a phone call and sit on hold forever, donate money to the right places... The dancers are our own community but I think everyone is looking far beyond the people they know to help. One of my chief concerns is the people here is the U.S who are looking and can't put enough money together to get back. I have been there. Thank you for your comment.
  4. Linda J Schlensker

How to Help Ricardo Sopin

Maksim Chemerkovskiy, Corky Ballas and others are coming together to help raise funds to help Ricardo Sopin find his daughter and return to the states. This appeal is one they are promoting on Twitter. Please help and Thank You Gentlemen. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvBFYOxsiZs&feature=youtu.be
  5. Linda J Schlensker

Ricardo Sopin HAS FOUND HIS DAUGHTER!!!!!

Ricardo Sopin has found his daughter and is now working to bring her back to the U.S. Thanks to Maksim Chemerkowskiy for passing the info along.
  6. TinyDancer109

TinyDancer109 Well-Known Member

that is wonderful news!!! :D
  7. CANI

CANI Active Member

Hi Linda - This is excellent news. Just wanted to mention that I visited the link in your earlier post and made a donation -- the video talked about raising money for finding Ricardo's daughter and for bringing his injured mother to the US for medical care. So, even with this wonderful news, it sounds like donations are still needed. Just wanted to mention that in the event anyone is intending to donate.

And, my deepest sympathy to Emmanuel and his family, and to everyone.
  8. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

9. DL

DL Well-Known Member

10. CANI

CANI Active Member

11. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

It really is CANI. :cry:
  12. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I would just like to share that I have had contact with one bereaved family from Haiti and their grace, selflessness, spirit of gratitude and faith, is astonishing...and if that is typical of the culture, as I have heard it is, I have great hope for the ability of the people to recover...eventually
  13. Linda J Schlensker

I agree.

I have been talking with several Aid Workers who have come back and they report the same. A group from SOIL said that the first night, people had come together and were singing together on the street. I have nothing but admiration for their courage. We could learn a lot from them.
  14. Linda J Schlensker

Thanks to Miranda

Much of the early information I've received on Ricardo Sopin has come from one of his students, Miranda. Without her help, some of the money coming in for him now, would not be. She should get credit for her efforts.
  15. Linda J Schlensker

I made an error. The information came from Miranda. Thank you Miranda. She is a good person.
  16. Angel HI

Angel HI Well-Known Member

:notworth:
  17. Linda J Schlensker

18. Linda J Schlensker

19. Linda J Schlensker

20. Indiana_Jay

Indiana_Jay Active Member

A student organization at an Indiana college campus has planned a ballroom dance as a fund-raiser for Haiti relief efforts. Everything I know about it is in the second half of this article from a local newspaper.

Something ironic about the article: the writer implies that it's difficult to find a place for a college guy to take his girlfriend ballroom dancing. But the night before, the local USA Dance chapter conducts its monthly dance in the very same room!