Ballroom dance and metatarsal pain

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by fkissam, Apr 10, 2004.

1. fkissam

fkissam New Member

I have extreme pain in the metarsal area and I can barely walk. I am male and in my 40s. The DPM said it is probably a stress fracture. It is caused by overuse by my athletic activities, a completely flat arch, and underlying Morton's neuroma. The pain is worst when I do ballroom dancing and rise on the ball of the foot. The pain seems to be in the center of the foot just beneath the toes…. Probably around the 3rd metatarsal. It is a deep pain that is somewhat localized.

I am currently using the BarefootScience type orthotics and they are helping a bit.

Does anybody have some remedies or info or web sites or products they can share so that I can remain active?

I am currently using an orthopedic shoe that has a high toe box. It also has great depth for all types of orthotics.

My questions are as follows:
    () My most important question : It appears that it would be helpful to build up the orthotic on one side and shift the weight. Should I build up the inside of the orthotic so that I place more weight on the lateral side of the foot? Or is it the reverse?
    () There is a special sandal I’ve heard about at orthopedic stores for metarsal stress fractures. What is its name and where can I obtain it?
    () Should I use an orthotic that is high in the middle so that it raises my flat arch?
    () It appears that the orthotic is equally as important as the shoe. For ballroom dancing when rising on the ball of the foot, should the orthotic be hard, medium or soft?

I am desperate so any resources would be helpful.
  2. Genesius Redux

Genesius Redux New Member

Well--I wanted to say welcome to the forums at least!

But for the stress fracture thing--go to a good sports doctor and do what s/he tells you to do. When I was sparring a lot, I'd often come in with a broken toe which I'd tell my teacher about or a broken rib which I wouldn't tell her about (or else she wouldn't let me dance).

But I would say don't mess around with problems in your feet--there's a lot of pressure on your feet when you dance--the more technically proficient you get, the more pressure you'll put on them.

Good luck!

Genesius
  3. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Hi fkissam. Welcome. :D

I bet we have some members who're experiencing the same problems. Maybe they'll see this thread and respond.
  4. Sakura

Sakura New Member

Welcome to DF, fkissam! :D Here's where I get to shine! (I'm a student trainer at my school, took the course, so I'd like to think that I'm qualified to have my say in this! :wink: )

We didn't learn *much* about orthodics in my Sports Med class, so I can't help you out on that, but I'll agree with Genesius and say you definitely need to get into a doctor and figure out if you've really got a stress fracture. It's important to detect this early -- before it becomes an actual fracture and *really* keeps you off of your feet! Try and keep off of your feet (as blasphemous as that sounds to say to a dancer!), and ice them to help with the pain (as well as any swelling you might have).

Item number two: your flat arches. While you're at your regular doctor, checking that potential stress fracture out, ask him/her for a good Sports Med office (if you don't have a place for that in your Family Practice office) and see about getting your feet taped before you go out dancing. There was one tape job we were taught called "X-arch" with is used for people with: flat arches, pes cavus, or arches that are falling/need support. It raises the arches up and provides a high amount of support. (I would know -- we did taping labs and I walked around for the rest of the class nearly with that job on.) Your doctor may decide that this isn't right for you though, and that's entirely up to him/her! :)

That's all the real input I can give you, so I hope that it's helped at least some! Again, welcome to DF, and have fun here!

Sakura Kitty :kitty:
  5. fkissam

fkissam New Member

Metatarsal pain and Morton's neuroma

Keep the suggestsions and responses coming! Thank you.

I did just go to a medical supply store and got the metatarsal felt pads that attach via the toe. I could feel some relief immediately. I am thinking of buying the more expensive gel type metatarsal lifts. Wanted to let other people know about these products.

I am following the suggestions given.

Any other suggestions , web sites, or resources?