Ballroom dance exercises

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by workinprogress, Jun 19, 2010.

1. workinprogress

workinprogress New Member

What off-the-floor exercises do you do for standard ballroom?

Things for balance, stretch, strength, timing?

Just wondering...
  2. CANI

CANI Active Member

Hi workinprogress - I think it depends on what you need and where you can most easily get it. I remember Josh once posted something I found useful about basically being able to get what you need in many areas by doing dancing itself. So, your teacher may be very helpful in giving you dance exercises or drills or something that you can do that help you work on balance, streching, strength and timing within actual dance movements that you would use while dancing standard. There are some things -- such as stamina -- that I personally think are a bit hard to develop in standard if you have only a small kitchen space or garage within which to practice -- still might be able to develop it, but it certainly is easier to develop stamina if you can dance non-stop in a bigger space such as a studio or gym area. So, if you have only a kitchen space, there may be other exercises that help with developing your cardio capacity.

There are a number of good threads where your question has been asked --one I remember was either balance or foot exercises which included some exercise instructions Warren Dew developed. So hopefully searching on those terms may turn up something for you. Hope that helps -- good luck!
  3. wonderwoman

wonderwoman Active Member

Even if your goals are competition-oriented, social dancing can be the best learning experience. Obviously its a great venue for practice, but I believe constantly readjusing to different partners makes you a more sensitive follower and that will be a great quality to have.
  4. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Moderator

5. Naululani

Naululani Member

I do Pilates. I think strong core helps moving through with good balance.
  6. jerseydancer

jerseydancer Active Member

I take ballet lessons, endurance training sessions (so i can last thru quickstep), i work with a personal trainer on my balance and my core - this includes planks, many slow moving exercises when i hold light weight in my hands and do plies, or lunges, or foot/heap lifts...my trainer strongly recommends yoga and pilots, but i am still looking for an instructor that i can understand and follow without hurting my back
  7. tunape

tunape New Member

there's been a number of threads on this, a quick search will give some nice results. Most notably one by (forget the username) which talks about how his dancing drastically improved in a short period of time from going to the gym and working with a personal trainer. I've also done the same, and can testify that it might be the biggest thing to your dancing.

the exercises are more extensive than can be discussed in a thread - involves parts of the body as well as whole body workout; with and without weights. A good personal trainer will help you reach your goal.