Ballroom Dancing and Injuries (Study)

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by stretch2ballroomdance, Dec 4, 2007.

1. Hello. I am a ballroom dancer and I am doing some research about the most common injuries associated with ballroom dancing. I would appreciate all the help I can get with this topic. Thanks!

2. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to DF stretch2ballroomdance!

I can start the list off with; Turf Toe, Bunions, muscle spasms and/or pain in the neck, shoulders and back.

3. tunape

tunape New Member

associated as in happens to ballroom dancers more frequently than with other dancers, athletes, and normal people? Or how injuries(which are not necessarily caused by ballroom dancing) can interfere with dancing?

Besides what latingal has said, also plantar fasciitis has been popular. I've also had shin splints on and off(but that could also be from tracking and field). Others include twisted knees and ankle injuries. I haven't seen anyone get a torn ACL yet, but I would imagine it's likely. There's also incidence of concussion from a collision where two couples spun into each other. Feet problems include common blisters(and blood blisters!) and ripped off toe nails. Various fungi and athletes foot as well.

4. White Chacha

White Chacha Active Member

Lower back soreness due to incorrect posture combined with insufficient core strength.

5. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

Torn muscles? I know a number of people who tore muscles because of insufficient warming up...

6. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

tendonitis

7. gingerbread

gingerbread Member

Many years ago I did tear myy ACL doing tango. I chose physical therapy over surgery and have never had a problem since.
    From my own oberservation of top professionals who have had knee surgery, both ballroom and latin play havoc on knees. Personally I also have knee problems, but I think mine are due to age and arthritis, but as professionals far younger than I have had knee surgery, there is obviously a lot of stress there.

8. chica latina

chica latina New Member

I've noticed: knees and feet.... and I am starting to feel it too.... But I'm guilty of not warming up/stretching before or after every practice.

9. jwlinson

jwlinson Member

My partner has had a few shoulder / rotator cuff problems from incorrect leads when she's danced with others in a group class or social setting. Thankfully they weren't permanent, but she was sore for almost a week in one instance.

Personally I haven't (yet) experienced many injuries or pain. Back when we were new to dancing, what hurt the most was finding those muscles in our legs and arms we'd never had to use before. That went away with practice.
    And of course breaking in a brand new pair of dance shoes (Ow toes! Ow feet!)

10. Egoist

Egoist Member

That's a very broad description. Tendonitis can be in many places.

I get episodes of patellar tendonitis, but it started before dancing. Same as episodes of piriformis syndrome.

For a while I got tendonitis in the joint behind the big toe.

11. nucat78

nucat78 Active Member

I pulled a hamstring last weekend. I suspect I was overreaching to my left on an American tango step. Thing spasms on me when I sit down the "wrong" way now. :(

12. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

My shoulder and upper back starts to hurt whenever I dance with a tall guy who leans forward on me.

13. Me

Me New Member

I am happy to report that since becoming a ballroom dancer and Argentine tango dancer, I have had no significant injuries. Minor muscle fatigue, sore feet and the occasional blister are my complaints.

This is in stark contrast to my ballet days of frequent ankle sprains, shin splints, stress fractures in my feet, severe blistering on my feet and damage to toenails.

14. Angelo

Angelo New Member

Same goes for me. I've been pretty lucky I guess. In contrast, I have managed to suffer a painful pinched nerve and a torn muscle from wrestling and tae kwon do.

15. Me

Me New Member

Hey that's pretty cool! I used to compete in Shotokan. :)

16. Ithink

Ithink Active Member

I get pinched nerves all the time. Never know if it's from sleeping funny or from dancing, though...

Back and neck pain were more common when I wasn't in the right position relative to my partner (or vice versa, him to me); it's less frequent now...

17. Laura

Laura New Member

I just re-injured my bad ankle for the nth time today dancing rounds. I don't know what it was, we were on our second round and just setting up for the waltz and I felt something pop. I danced the round, but by the time I drove home the ankle was swollen and painful. I'm icing it now.

18. waltzgirl

waltzgirl New Member

That's not good! You're going to Holiday Classic, aren't you? I hope it's better soon.

And I do so know how to waltz! (see Liar's thread.)

19. elisedance

elisedance New Member

pretty lucky here up to now - only problem is squeezed feet with pains between the foot bones

20. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

My back has actually gotten better since I started ballroom dancing. I still do get lower back pain sometimes, but not like I used to (serious compression injuries from repeated falls as a horseback rider.) It does, however, have a tendency to aggravate my bad knee. I dislocated and fractured my right knee when I was fourteen, and it's missing a lot of cartilage now. For some reason, Smooth and Latin seem to aggravate it the most, though it's also not fond of Bolero.