Ballroom Dancing and Injuries (Study)

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by stretch2ballroomdance, Dec 4, 2007.

1. ACtenDance

ACtenDance Active Member

I frequently feel a blunt pain on the inside of my right knee when I practice Latin a lot... not sure what the problem is, but it doesn't feel like the usual muscle pains that I grew accustomed to when I used to play soccer.

2. White Chacha

White Chacha Active Member

Same here. I'd get really bad muscle spasms to the point of being in pain no matter what position I was in. It was so bad I called my HMO emergency number one night. They said to call them back if anything got numb! Lovely.

But none of that since I've been dancing and it's been six years now :)

3. I am looking for injuries/problems that are caused from ballroom dancing (I have a pain on the inside of my right knee that has developed over time due to ballroom dancing). I am interested to find out the specifics of the injuries/problem and what you are doing to prevent further injury/what you do that makes it better or worse (i.e. stretches, apply ice/heat, medicine).

4. samina

samina Well-Known Member

i tore a groinish muscle (the muscle the connects the bottom of the glutes to the groin area, without which you can't sprint) twice when practicing spins. i think it's finally healed, but took a long time...

5. Angelo

Angelo New Member

I guess I misunderstood you. From your original post I thought you were doing a semi-academic survey rather than looking for practical infromation for yourself. I don't get knee pains anymore unless I really overdo physical activity without adequate recovery. When my partner has knee pains she uses stuff like icy hot or tiger balm for immediate pain relief. If you don't like smelling like a cough drop you can use an ointment called Flex Power that accomplishes the same thing whithou the odor. Interestingly, she has experienced much reduced knee pain by adjustments in her dance technique alone.

6. nucat78

nucat78 Active Member

Soft tissue injuries are notorious for taking a long time to heal. Just remember RICE - rest, ice, compression, elevation. Not sure how to apply all that to a groin pull or tear though.

7. samina

samina Well-Known Member

lol... yah, can't wrap groin injuries. ;) tore the inner thigh-->groin muscle when i was a teenager, doing splits in cheerleading routine. that was the same thing -- can't isolate it very weel. took years to work thru that scar tissue. one word: yoga.

8. K_8ie

K_8ie New Member

My toenails are constantly falling off and the skin on my big toe splits all the time (hurts like a b****!!!!!)

Tendinitis in the right wrist (connection arm).

Does extremely itchy skin from Protan count?

9. standardgirl

standardgirl New Member

My foot is injuried. No doctor can seem to tell the reason behind this, but I know exactly when it happened. It was 2 summers ago, I woke up one morning after a night of quickstep practice doing those "hops+jumps." I did physical therapy for a while, but didn't help. The foot just seems to very slowing healing itself. I can walk fine and dance, but if I stand on one-foot only and put all my weight on that foot, then the foot just hurts very bad. As a result, my dancing is not quite as strong as before and sometimes I have problem supporting/using my right foot.... =(

10. White Chacha

Where in the foot is the pain?

11. Thank you for all your replies. Just want to clarify from my previous posts that what I'm looking for is:
    I'm doing research on common injuries for Ballroom Dancers. In your opinion, what would you say from your own experience and training are the top 2-3 injuries/problems that Ballroom Dancers experience?
    I'm sorry for any confusion in my previous posts, and again, thank you for all your replies so far :)

12. standardgirl

standardgirl New Member

a vertical line between the big toe and the ball of the foot; like the pain is from just below the big toe and runs in a vertical line to the end of the ball of the foot (kind of the beginning of the arch in the foot)....it's a bit hard to describe without a picture. :p

13. White Chacha

I was wondering because it was a bit too much experimentation with scatter chassees that put the final nail in my full blown plantar fasciitis early this past summer. I'm just now getting down to the last traces of it and still shy from scatters until I'm darn sure my foot is fully healed.

Maybe you got a stress fracture, or strained the joint? A hairline fracture in the big toe often doesn't show up on x-rays, said my MD. And they don't tend to do anything about them either, except tell you to stay off it/ take it easy for some amount of time.

14. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

Hmmmm.... my massage therapist is trained in reflexology, and she noted that tightness and pain in this area is due to restrictions higher up in the leg. Sorry, I'm not good with human physiology, but I know when she works on this other area (which hurts like HELL), it loosens up my toe and lessens the pain there. I will ask her about it the next time I see her and take good notes :)

15. standardgirl

standardgirl New Member

With holiday seasons coming, and me switch insurance, I think I will visit a different doctor next year. It was sugessted at one point to maybe take an MRI for my right foot...I was just *too busy* all these times to get it taken care of. Plus, if I was strong enough to dance through bleeding foot and competed while having 101F fever, who cares about a little pain in the foot, right? :mrgreen:

16. standardgirl

standardgirl New Member

thanks a lot! I will wait to hear back and I guess I really need to go see a doctor again myself or go back to physical therapy or something. It just makes me feel sad when I suddenly fell on a soft foot in the middle of my dancing due to the pain...

17. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

OK, got a lovely massage beating last night :rolleyes:, and it's actually less complicated than I thought. For me, the area that needs to be worked on the relieve pain in my big toe joint is approximately in between the inner ankle bone and the shin bone. She touched this area and I nearly kicked her in the face from the sudden pain :shock:. For you, it may be somewhere else, so feel along the sides of your shin bone beginning low near your ankle and work your way up. When you find sensitive areas, put pressure there as long as you can stand. It may feel like a burning sensation if it is especially tight and congested (lactic acid buildup). When you can tolerate more pressure than your fingers, graduate to a tennis ball or something similar. Keeping the muscles on the front of your lower legs more pliable should help your toes feel better (though you should massage your toe joints as well). Works for me -- worth a try for you.

18. Alex the Nifty

Alex the Nifty New Member

Dancing has helped my back. Before starting one year ago, I had every one of these:
    http://exrx.net/Kinesiology/Posture.html
    Now, there's almost no sign I ever had them.

My right knee has been feeling loose for a few weeks now, ever since drilling samba voltas and such in sneakers (after dancing in proper shoes for four hours.) The next day I almost collapsed while standing and had to limp home.

It looks like most of us attribute our injuries to bad technique or not warming up or other things we know are risky. Doing things properly doesn't seem to cause any problems. (Captain Obvious, signing off.)

P.S. That site is a great guide to all the muscles and how to stretch and exercise them, as well as realted subjects. I don't believe dancing is specifically mentioned, though.

19. LaLoona

LaLoona New Member

I have a pain in the join that connects big toe to the foot. It is called 1st MTP joint. I have not checked it out yet, but it is for sure associated with dancing on 3" heels since it gets worse when i dance in heels vs. practice shoes.
    My friend who is a volleyball player had very similar problem (being on heels is aside:)and what helped is going to a podiatrist and making a custom-made orthotic based on the specifics of his foot alignments. I am waiting to go there since i doubt that placing a orthotic into latin sandals is something i can really do...
    Have people placed orthotics into their latin shoes? Can somebody share the experience? Thanks!

20. standardgirl

standardgirl New Member

Never tried placing one in a latin shoes as I am not really a latin dancer, but my physical therapist has tried placing one in my standard court shoes. It did NOT work...(however, I have seen people with one in their court shoes). I just can't imagine one to work in a latin shoes.