Ballroom dress blog along

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by mindputtee, Oct 5, 2011.

1. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

So I've been talking for a while about when I make my dress..., I'm going to make a dress that's..., I'm ordering fabric for my dress, where's my fabric for my dress etc etc etc.

So tonight I actually started real work on my dress, and as promised, I'm going to blog along as I go! I'll post updates here as well, but if you want to see my actual blog it's at stitchesandsparkles.blogspot.com

So up until this point everything was pretty much the fun, happy, glowing stage of a new project where you're planning everything and super excited and it's all you can think about. Today, the work started. I sat down tonight with a mission: to get a leotard pattern on paper. I decided that I wanted to do a leotard with a little bit of a boyshort to it, it covers my bum better and is less likely to cut into my thighs/hips and ride up. I couldn't find any patterns that I liked (that weren't $40, and let's face it, I'm cheap.) So I started to draft a pattern. I've never really made a sewing pattern before. Whenever I knit I always made my own patterns and I read a lot of books on pattern/dressmaking and researched what leotard patterns typically look like. The good thing is, it's supposed to be stretchy and tight, so it should be a little forgiving... right? Let's hope so.

So I spent about an hour and a half measuring myself, measuring paper, sketching on paper, measuring sketches, measuring self again, making adjustments etc etc etc. So I came up with this:

[​IMG]
    Yay! Paper pieces! And the piece in the middle is intentional, I will explain

The piece on the left is the back/side (there will be two of these sewn together in the back and they will wrap around my sides.) The piece on the right is the center/front (fold on the fabric goes on the dotted line to make one piece twice as wide.) And the liiiittle piece in the center is the crotch. This is by no means a finished pattern, it's a draft that should work in theory, it needs to be tested in practice now.

So this weekend I am going away to IL for my uncle's wedding and I won't be able to actually do any sewing tonight (it's 1 am and I'm so tired just from making this stupid pattern) so I'll get to that next week, hopefully Tuesday. The plan is to make a mock up in some stretch knit white fabric that I have lying around (I'm really not even sure what it's made of, maybe a cotton/polyester blend) so that I can get an idea of if my pattern is working at all before cutting into the good stuff.

Speaking of which, I ordered all my fabric and after a whole little mix up, it came! It is super exciting, here is a sneak peek:

[​IMG]
    It's like the greenest green ever!

EDIT: Also, I apologize for the poor quality of the photos, I'm just too tired to find my real camera (instead of cell phone) /to care enough. Blehhh...

2. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Awesome! Thanks, mp. :-D

3. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

You have 30 days, get cracking! ;)

4. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

ooohhhhhh pretty....and the brain fast forwards with huge amounts of sewing imagination. (a passion of mine for which I no longer have time).

5. Olga35

Olga35 New Member

Hi mindputtee, just wanna wish you good luck in making your dress! It's so exciting! I am making dresses for couple years and still learning on my mistakes:)..I would recommend you to use the same stretchability fabric for your sample leotard as your dress fabric, make sure your white knit fabric has the same stretch!Or it will fit your body differently.
    Good luck!

6. mindputtee

I know! I'm hoping it'll be done by DCDI, but I don't know. It's not for want to sew, it's for lack of time! Now that I have a little break from exams though I'm going to get as much done as I can.

7. mindputtee

My brain is continually fast forwarding with sewing imagination! I just hope I can properly execute my vision. I'm going to take it slowly and not rush ahead though so that it will (hopefully) turn out well.

8. mindputtee

Yeah, I need to check the stretchability of the white against my lycra. I ordered twice as much lycra as I will need so that if I made a mistake I can recut and not have to make a whole other order. I'm planning to make it a little bigger using a long stitch than I think it needs to be and then just adjust and trim it down before finishing the seams properly. That way it will fit me just how I want it to. I need to get/make a dress form so I won't be stabbing myself with pins though.

9. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to DF TurCouture....

10. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

Duct Tape Double!

www. threadsmagazine.com/item/3631/duct-tape-dress-form-2

11. GGinrhinestones

GGinrhinestones Well-Known Member

Joann's Fabrics just held it's occasional really good online sale - dress forms for 50% off and $1 shipping. I realized I am NOT going to get a better deal anywhere else, so I broke down and ordered one...keep an eye on their site, it will come up again...though probably not soon enough to be useful to you for *this* project.

Love the plan as revealed so far, btw! Leopard bodysuit and green fabric? Gorgeous! What kind of fabric is the green stuff, anyway? Lycra or something else?

12. singndance

singndance Well-Known Member

Looking forward to your progress. I am so in awe of you doing this, as it is something that I would never attempt. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

13. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Lemme know if you want to borrow one.

14. Olga35

Olga35 New Member

:) Thank you!

15. Olga35

Olga35 New Member

The dress form will help you A LOT! I can't imagine how to make dress without it! I agree, adjustable dress forms from Joann fabrics is a good thing to have:).
    P.S. I looked at your blog, you made pretty cool dress there!

16. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

Welcome to DF TurCouture,
    Geezzzz, so I looked in my cabinet at all my fabrics....sigh. When I have time......

17. mindputtee

Your support makes me feel so good and like I can actually do this!

I was in the process of making a dress form using plaster strips when a. I ran out of strips and b. I realized I needed someone to help me because as it dries I won't be able to move. I got more strips and my sister promised to help me, but between her full time job and my school and practice it's difficult to find time when we are both available and not dead tired.

I did end up having some time yesterday and cut out the pieces in the scrap fabric and pinned them together. It surprisingly actually is pretty close to what I want, it just needs some minor adjustments. I didn't have any time to take pictures yesterday though, so I will have to take some when I get back.

The green fabric is the lycra for the body suit. It's going to be rough when I have to bring myself to actually cut it. Once that happens there's no going back!

18. mindputtee

Thanks! I really enjoyed making the corset, it was a lot of fun. I need to do some more sketches of what the final dress is supposed to look like, I decided to take out the drop waist and move it up to above my hips since I have a bum that refuses to be nice and sticks out.

19. NonieS

NonieS Well-Known Member

Joe has whole room housing his dress form army lol. If ever they come to life like the plastic in that episode of Doctor Who, Joe will be screwed ;)

ETA I don't even know if Joe has many dress forms... for some reason I just seem to remember there being a few in there LOL. Maybe I am lying....

20. mindputtee

Haha that's fantastic. I'm a total Doctor Who fan. I got DP into Doctor Who and that's how we bonded and probably 70% of why we are actually friends not just dance partners.

I might take you up on that offer though Joe. What are your dress forms like?