Ballroom dress blog along

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by mindputtee, Oct 5, 2011.

1. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

I just got back from a week and a half away and seeing at with fresh eyes, I have to agree with you. The sleeves are definitely going to be plenty stoned, but I need to decide how to do the skirt now. I might continue the stones from the bodice down and taper them out into thin lines.

I was thinking about the stones on the bottom. I've seen it on a couple of dresses and really like the effect.

The sleeves are definitely going to be stoned, just haven't gotten a chance to get to them yet!
  2. mindputtee

I'm a little too scared of fabric paints to venture there just get. Too much potential for complete ruination and I haven't had any practice with them! Some day though. I like the idea, just don't think I could execute it.
  3. mindputtee

Stoning update!

I've gotten a lot more stoning done so I thought I'd post an update with some pictures! I'm still going to be adding a lot more, this is about 2/3 done. I ordered some more stones today too in purple and some ss12 ABs as well. I'll post a video of it so that you can get a better idea of what it looks like once it's totally done.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
  4. dancerdol

dancerdol Member

Beautiful!! Consider adding some "jewelry" larger stones at key junctures of your stoning design. PM me if you want to chat about where I would suggest a bit more bling. You have done an awesome job on this dress! Can't wait to see video of you on the floor!
  5. llamasarefuzzy

llamasarefuzzy Well-Known Member

I've been lurking on this thread since the beginning- thought it was finally time to say something!
    The dress looks absolutely incredible! I especially love the zig zag stones on the sleeves!
  6. mindputtee

Ok, I've got six days starting now. I'm going to have this thing 100% done and ready to debut. (First comp wearing it will be UPenn Classic 2012, if all goes well.)

I ordered some jewelry stones, but I don't have high hopes that they will get here in time. They will add another dimension to the dress, but they might just have to get added after UPenn.

I did start making some hair jewelry to go along with the dress though.

[​IMG]
    mostly done

[​IMG]
    still in progress

Let the countdown begin!
  7. mindputtee

8,000+ rhinestones and I-don't-even-know-how-many hours later and I'm finally done gluing!

In the end I used 3 different sizes in 4 colors:

12ss AB stones (3/4 of a pack)
    16ss crystal (2 packs), peridot(2 packs), and purple velvet stones (1 pack)
    20 ss AB stones (1/2 of a pack)

I used the wax paper technique for some of the mesh parts so I wouldn't get the dress form all glued up, but I'd like to add to that, if you are going to use this technique, make sure you pull the paper off before it's fully dried. Perhaps my wax paper isn't waxy enough, but the first part I let it dry too much and now there is a little bit of paper still stuck to the back of some of the rhinestones. I'm sure it will wear off before too long, but it was annoying to try to peel off the little pieces enough that it wouldn't be visible.

The other thing is I'd make sure next time to start my stoning patterns in the areas I want to be most heavily stoned. I was scrambling a little bit at the end of some parts of the design that are more visible to make it look as heavily stoned as other parts that are not going to be as visible when I'm dancing. Not smart. It ended up ok in the end, but next time I'd think it through a little more. I ended up completely using 5 packs of 10 gross each and about 3/4 of another 10 gross pack and half of another. In total I estimate that there are about 8,000 rhinestones on this now.

I'll be adding some jewelry stones once they come, but I am not considering that one of the requirements to be "done".

The only step left now is attaching the floats and then I can say I'm done. I probably won't have pictures or video until after this weekend when I'll be wearing it for the first time at UPenn Classic! If you see me there, come say hi!
  8. dlliba10

dlliba10 Well-Known Member

I'll be there! So excited to see this gorgeous project in action!
  9. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

The pictures so far really have looked great. Have fun storming the dance competition! (No miracles required.)
  10. dancerdol

dancerdol Member

Mindputtee - congratulations on finishing the dress! Have a wonderful time dancing this weekend! I can't wait to see photos and video!
  11. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

Congrats! Looks GREAT!
  12. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Small piece of advice: wear it to practice with your partner before you wear it at a comp.
  13. Jananananana

Jananananana Active Member

Yes :-D
    It looks beautiful, great job!
  14. mindputtee

I was already planning to do that today. =)

I'm going to try to get somebody to snap some pics and maybe take some videos today, so I might have something to show y'all before this weekend after all.
  15. stash

stash Well-Known Member

Can't wait to see it today :D yay!
  16. mindputtee

PICTURES! YAY!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

AND VIDEO! ZOMG!

I'm not entirely sure why the audio cuts out halfway through. As you can tell, I'm not filming this.
  17. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

You look lovely, as does the stoning. I love the front of the bodice. It looks so much nicer on a human than it did on a dress form.

You're going to look beautiful this weekend. :-D
  18. llamasarefuzzy

llamasarefuzzy Well-Known Member

I love the way the stoning catches the light at the end of the video- looks great!
  19. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Moderator

Love the float movement, especially on the double reverse spins!
  20. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Nice! I hope your partner doesn't wear white socks in competition!