Ballroom dress blog along

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by mindputtee, Oct 5, 2011.

1. NonieS

NonieS Well-Known Member

Yeah I am a blonde myself and it is definitely easy to get washed out in certain colors. For example, I like yellow, but would look bad on the floor in yellow. I have found that pale girls with blonde hair (moi) look the best under bright lights when we are wearing rich colors (royal blue or purple for example) or jewel tones. Neons or pastels, unless in accents, are generally not a great idea.

2. twothreefourone

twothreefourone Active Member

Wow! Great job mindputtee, on both the dress and the dancing, they both look great! Love the way the bodice sparkles under the lights :)

3. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

I pledged to be blonde for this entire year. My hair is tired of the yo yo-ing between bleach blonde and red. I think the blonde goes better with the green in real life than in the videos, I think the videos just kind of wash it out.

[​IMG]

The red certainly would pop more, but the red doesn't look as good in everyday life, and sadly, ballroom competitions are not everyday life.

EDIT: Wrong picture

ETA: I have the happiest partner.

4. singndance

singndance Well-Known Member

Video is beautiful and so are you and your dress. Your partner, well, what a joy! I think his face sums up why we dance!

5. NonieS

NonieS Well-Known Member

Definitely blonde translates better in the real world than dyed red lol. I think the blonde suits you.

6. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

I think if anything, aim for a brighter golden blonde with this gown. Red's going to clash with that shade of green. (Honestly, I think the dyed reds are very hard to pull off and unless you have a fantastic colorist who can make it not look horribly fake, it just comes off as harsh and very, VERY fake.)

7. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

lovely!!

8. Standarddancer

Standarddancer Well-Known Member

This color is very bright and vibrant on the floor, you are the best dressed in your heat, good job!

9. gardinercd

gardinercd New Member

You look beautiful, Mindputtee. Definitely the best dressed in your heat.

I'm curious - what did you make the sheep sleeves out of? Powermesh? I don't remember it being a part of your original design but love how it turned out!

10. mindputtee

Thank you everyone!

I was red for quite a while and the problem I kept having is it would wash out too quickly and I'd have a weird gradient going on where my roots were nice red, but the ends were a brassy orange/yellow. I got so frustrated that I decided to just go bleach blonde. I do my own hair, and unfortunately, the last time I colored the brand I used wasn't quite as bright as I thought it would be. So much for trying something new. :rolleyes: In about a month when I color again it will be back to being brighter.

The sleeves are made out of stretch net (which I'm pretty sure is the same thing as powermesh). They were not part of my original design, it went through quite a lot of changes before reaching the final stage, but I am very pleased with the end result.

11. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Time for a new avatar, methinks!

12. mindputtee

13. JANATHOME

JANATHOME Well-Known Member

I loved the picture you posted of "happy" partner..
    The close up of the gown in this picture really showed all the stone work you did... The previous pictures although beautiful really did not show all the details, nice job!!

LOL, I thought Joe was telling you to die the gown red, not your hair!!
    I am like really, he wants her to die this green gown red???

14. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

That is an awesome picture, Janathome. It even shows off the hair jewelery. Very cool. :-D

15. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

I'm just impressed all around mindputtee! Your dress is gorgeous, you dance beautifully, and the look on your partner's face in the still photo... wow! Not only does he express the joy of dance, but more importantly , the joy of dancing with you! Well done!

16. mindputtee

To dredge up an old thread, I realized tonight (in an effort to avoid studying for my biochem exam) that I had never posted the stoning pictures I took a while ago and promised. So here they are:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Gorgeous! :-D

18. Ambao

Ambao Member

Gorgeous indeed! I wanted to make the most of this post by thanking you for sharing your sewing process. It convinced me to try and I am making my first Latine Dress : stressful but so exciting!

19. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Yay for procrastination!

j_alexandra likes this.
  20. mindputtee

So this dress underwent a massive renovation in the last month or so. I've done a couple more dresses in the meantime, and started taking a costume construction class, and so I've learned a lot more. There were a lot of things about the original dress that I wasn't happy about, number one being some of my stoning choices. So after a lot of thinking, I decided it would be better to redo it and have something I would be happy wearing than to grudgingly force myself to wear it.

If you'd like to see the full process and blog post, it's on my blog but I'm not going to repost it here. I've come to ask you all a question though. Here is the stoning on the dress as it stands:

[​IMG]

I feel it needs more stones on the main body of the dress to look really finished and I'm trying to decide how to do it. I've got 16ss peridot stones, 20ss fern green, 16ss crystal, 16ss purple velvet and a smattering of 12, 16, and 20 ss ab. The ideas I've been throwing around are either crystal lines weaving up from the points on the skirt or more little ~1" lines of stones at different angles (in peridot, fern green, and maybe crystal). I'm open to any other suggestions as well.

Miss Silly likes this.