Ballroom dress blog along

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by mindputtee, Oct 5, 2011.

1. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

You already have a pattern on it...you could just connect the ends of your pattern.
  2. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

Connect them into vertical lines or on diagonals? Diagonals might work, but the problem with verticals is that they aren't all perfectly in line and if I connect them it will become very clear they are not.
  3. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Active Member

I just want to say i've been creeping your blog and i'm thoroughly enjoying it! Thank you! :D
    mindputtee likes this.
  4. Jananananana

Jananananana Active Member

I would make the pattern thicker. Add large stones (sew-ons) and just chunk it up a bit. Don't be scared. You really can't go wrong.
  5. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

diagonals are my personal fav in looking at what you have goin on the dress, throw in some large stones (sew on) just for texture interest.
  6. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Active Member

I agree with the larger-stones comments. I've recently starting going that route and for some reason i think it ups the sophistication-factor a lot more than using smaller rounds all the time. The great part is that they take up more room too hahaha so stoning goes faster ;-P
    Jananananana likes this.
  7. mindputtee

I forgot to add, the back of the belt looks like this:

[​IMG]

And has some very large sew on stones, so I wanted to keep the rest of it a little more simple to keep the focus on the belt and waist.
  8. mindputtee

9. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

Eh. No. Sitck with relatively vertical lines. You can make them thicker, as suggested above, by nestling more stones alongside the spaces already present (either one side or both, as I attempt to show below:).
    ..*
    *..*
    ..*
    *..*
    ..*
    *..*
    ..*
  10. jiwinco

jiwinco Active Member

FWIW I think the diagonals take away from the beauty of the belt. I agree with nikkitta, enhance the design that you already have with more on the verticals
  11. smidra86

smidra86 Active Member

Where did you take a costume construction class?
  12. mindputtee

It's offered by my university's theater department.

I forgot to post here, I ended up going with vertical lines of the fern green in between the peridot. You can see the overall effect a little bit in this picture:

Attached Files:

3wishes likes this.
  13. Jananananana

Alright mindputtee - I'm going fabric shopping this weekend. It's going to be a gray costume. I'm debating between two designs right now - and guys, I need your help deciding which! I'll sketch them up quickly and send them along.
    mindputtee likes this.
  14. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

Yep, I was cleaning out our "work-out/reference/sewing room" - truly, I don't mean just putting away - I was tossing, destroying, donating, etc etc - yesterday....and during all that found my patterns and reference materials and thought...hmmmmm.
    Haven't done this, "make myself a dress thing" for a few years. THEN, as luck would have it,,,RTW ballroom dresses came via UPS...lovely,,,and did not fit...let's just say,,,,my chest is always a problem....for clothing. SOOOO, sending back the dresses today, headed out for tracing paper, thanks MP for the inspiration to return to a passionate hobby that I have put on the back burner for soooo sooo long. Ordering fabric later in the week.
  15. Jananananana

Alright, scratch that. I rummaged through my boxes of fabric this weekend and I know what I'm making. It should be ready by MAC. Ready? Set.... BLOG!
  16. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

So I finally read your blog a bit, this is so much fun. !!! Wish I gave making things a try. I like your last creation
  17. Standarddancer

Standarddancer Well-Known Member

Dress look very bright on picture, the green is such beautifful color, great job!
  18. Jananananana

Alright, here is the beginning of my new dress. I've been so inspired by this blog-along, I decided to blog along, too. The end goal of this dress is MAC:
    New Dress
    3wishes, Miss Silly and latingal like this.
  19. smidra86

smidra86 Active Member

Your little helper got a fur cut. So cute.
  20. HolyCross Ballroom

HolyCross Ballroom New Member

This sounds fantastic! One of our girls is into dys gemming of her dresses so this would be the next step. Can't wait to see progress!
    Jananananana likes this.