Ballroom dress blog along

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by mindputtee, Oct 5, 2011.

1. Jananananana

Jananananana Active Member

Well, here's some progress! http://janatomie.com/2012/draping-fabric/
    I've draped the fabric and created my pattern. I've already cut out the final dress and now I'm putting it together. Cutting the fabric was the toughest step because my dog kept seeing the fabric as an invitation to walk over it, take a nap on it, dig into it, etc.

Sania and HolyCross Ballroom like this.
  2. twothreefourone

twothreefourone Active Member

Hi everyone! I love this thread :) You've all inspired me to give it a go too after, so if you'll forgive me for digging up an old thread, I'd appreciate any tips and feedback as I've just put the learner plates on my shiny new-to-me sewing machine.

I'd to make my own shirts, trousers, guy stuff... and finally bit the bullet, ordered fabric and thread, won a sewing machine at auction, and spent the last weekend terrified, clueless and amused. This journey has already given me so much enjoyment: things like browsing at the fabric store, sheepishly walking back into the fabric store after trying to start and realising I needed ballpoint needles, and hanging out with my lovely and patient friend who's joining me on this adventure as I try to make her a dress that won't fall apart in the middle of a competition. :D

The story so far is: we discussed some ideas, sketched up Dress 1.0, did a fitting, cut a pattern, made a potato sack (v1.0), and now we're on v1.1 :D during her trying on the dress last night, its design evolved some more, and now I would love some help here... we're now thinking deep V neckline by draping the fabric, to show off a stoned bra.

So ladies... my question is, what's the best way forward here (decorate and stitch in a pre-made bra, made from scratch with dance bra-cups, usw...) to make something comfortable and supportive (A/B cup).

TLDR: A dressmaking newb is looking for ideas on making a decorated bra, because he thankfully has never needed one personally and does not want to make an instrument of torture for his friend .

Last edited: Oct 14, 2013
  3. middy

middy Well-Known Member

Just buy a well-fitting bra and stone the heck out of it! :)

Sania, twothreefourone and stash like this.
  4. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

LOVE the jump in with two feet and creative thoughts your asking about, twothreefourone. Take gal pal to store - purchase a well made fitted bra in a color or pattern that will accent or be accented by the draped fabric. I suggested a "molded for sweaters" bra because it holds stonework quite well...and you have yet to decide décor for this item. You can use sew on stones, glue on/hot fix stones, pearls, etc etc, don't limit yourself when it comes to a fabulous top. I suggest as well, that you cruise through the many latin costumes, by various designers, that are for sale on the internet for inspiration as to décor. Unless your really versed in creating good supportive bras for your dancer....take the shortcut route for now and purchase one with her as let's say,,,practice.

twothreefourone likes this.
  5. 3wishes

ok, I have a question....I'm doing a PasoDoble for Christmas Showcase,,,,,to "DONE" by The Band Perry. It's not a nice song, it's strong. she's FINISHED with him and DONE. At the end, I walk off with my little man GS#2 who offers me his arm after I throw away my pro.
    Pro has us moving slowly towards each other from opposite ends of floor, and each of us "spreading the cape" with both hands as we square off with each other with other accents in the first few measures before we come together. He asked if I could make something for the dance...or if I was going to use my latin comp dress, which is short and the skirt only goes to the bend of the knee. So I'm pondering...long skirt? for Paso that can be ripped off reveal the latin costume I would wear later in the song. Or just make a long circle skirt with top for this song and use throughout the 2 minutes. hmmm hmmm.

6. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

Do you plan to "spread the cape" or play with the skirt elsewhere in the routine?
    Maybe a matching half-skirt would be good, meaning it's only on your backside.

7. 3wishes

oh HEY! that idea never crossed my mind,,,it would essentially be easier to move/grab,etc. thanks!

8. twothreefourone

Thank you! I love our DF community, everyone's so helpful to each other :)

Pre-made sounds good, I'm going to have to replace straps already with the clear rubber ones, so I'll skip the front end of things this time round :p I was watching the Internationals and snagged some inspiration from there for shapes and styles for body types.

On the Paso front, I've always wanted to make a dress that has fabric wrapped around the waist and tied off at the back with the trailing ends falling down the back of the legs; a kind of kimono-meets-gypsy look. You could even be "unwound" during the choreo :)

9. middy

middy Well-Known Member

I'd suggest using nude-colored straps over the clear plastic-y ones - they're just kind of eh. And it's acceptable to have nude straps as part of costumes. They are also more durable and not prone to sticking to sweaty bodies.

twothreefourone and stash like this.
  10. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

Definitely go pre made bra. I'd do nude straps as well, if you get a bra that's convertible it will be easier to switch out the straps, though I do think that the ballroom nude straps look nicer than bra nude straps because they are typically one piece, not designed to be adjustable. As far as stoning the bra, I'd look into beaded appliques and trims to add more dimension. Otherwise you will probably want to stone every single open space on the bra to make it not look flat or cheap (or lingerie like).

11. 3wishes

I strongly suggest not to use the rubber clear straps. They will not move on the skin, and rather they will remain "stuck". Instead of cutting off the straps. Replace as suggested with nude straps (you can stone those as well and they would be much more comfortable for dancer as she moves) or wrap the bra straps in a nude lycra cover if your concerned about the "bra strap" look. I've had those rubber clear straps before...and it's why I don't use them anymore. quite uncomfortable.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2013
  12. twothreefourone

Nude straps, noted! Thank you :) Definitely liking the t-shirt bras, they seem much easier to decorate and incorporate.

13. Stacie Charmaine

Stacie Charmaine New Member

I've got two different coloured 4 way stretch standard practice dresses, one white and one light aqua. No zippers, "U" scoop neck front and back. I've got a beautiful sheer 2 way stretch chiffon in a softer pastel aqua that I want to make an overlay to wear over either dress, the original pattern has fitted princess seams to the hip and inserted godets in the skirt. I'm planning on using the same pattern, but am unresolved in how to close the overlay to allow it to be used on/over each dress. Any suggestions? I thought of a side zipper, or maybe a line of invisible snaps. I'm also changing the neck line in the chiffon to either a cowl or boat neck.

14. mindputtee

The chiffon is stretchy? Any way chance you can just slip it over your head so you won't have to put in a zipper? There is no real hiding a zipper in a light colored chiffon.

15. mindputtee

Also, I thought you all might like to know that the dress from this blog-along has been sold! There are only some last small modifications to be made to make it wearable by its more petite new owner and then it will be out of my hands forever!

Miss Silly and Lioness like this.
  16. Stacie Charmaine

Stacie Charmaine New Member

Yes, the chiffon does have good 2 way stretch across the grain, not so much down the grain. I plan on cutting it with the stretch going across the body. The dress/dresses I want to wear under this overlay have great 4 way stretch, so much so that I cut it 2 sizes smaller than what the pattern sizes suggested.
    If I just slip it over my head, should I cut it to size or only one size smaller because of it only being 2 way stretch? I want it to be fitted to my torso, to lie flat against the solid under dress, without having to make a chiffon waiste belt/cumber bun thingy.