Ballroom dress blog along

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by mindputtee, Oct 5, 2011.

1. canismajor41

canismajor41 Active Member

Mindupttee - I made a dress recently and had the same frustration with elastic. I tried all methods and found this way to be the easiest (it also provided the best fit and look.) I practiced a while until I had a feel for how much tension/stretch to put in the elastic and then I was good to go. The only thing I did differently is that I did a zig zag stitch on both sides. Good luck!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOlQp83HstU

2. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

That's the method I use. I found that actually casing the elastic was too bulky.

3. Zhena

Zhena Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting that!

4. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

Thanks! I'd been doing something relatively similar, but kept getting the tension wrong. I forgot to account for the fact that the fabric is being pulled and stretched a little bit as I sew as well as the elastic. I think I might also want to use 3/8" elastic instead of the 1/4" I've been using cause it has less potential to cut into my skin.

5. canismajor41

canismajor41 Active Member

3/8" is what I used too.

6. scullystwin42

scullystwin42 Active Member

This is so cool to follow along. My mother and I both have sewing experience, and I was continually frustrated by the lack of resources online for making a gown or latin dress, and also frustrated by the cost. Now that I'm seeing what goes into it in more detail, I get why they do cost so much.

7. bowman500

bowman500 Member

Hi everyone one, let me first admit I'm a lurker and love reading everyone's tips. I use the same method but use my serger for the first step. I think the key is the type of elastic you use. I've have never had any luck with any kind of elastic except for 3/8" cotton swimwear elastic. It hold up with out stretching out and is so easy to sew. Happy sewing!

8. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

I have actually used the clear elastic, in an effort to further reduce edge bulk, since it's thinner than the cotton elastic.

9. bowman500

bowman500 Member

I have too, but it snapped once, so now I stick to cotton......Maybe willl try again

10. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Yeah it doesn't handle needle punctures as well as cotton. Using a wider elastic can help with that.

11. mindputtee

So I switched to 3/8 in elastic, pulled out the serger and conquered the elastic in less than 40 minutes. I'm in love with my serger by the way. Until it started to eat the arm hole... a little fussing and adjusting elastic though and it's all ok; it won't be visible once the outer bodice is on anyway. I just stitched the elastic once and will do the second stitching on it when I attach the bodice so that the seams look a little more finished and there's not a huge bulk of thread.

I serged all the seams and now the bodysuit is almost done! It still needs some more snaps in the crotch but then I can get started on the fun parts- the parts you actually see! I'll make an official blog entry once the bodysuit is completely done but I thought I'd give an update.

Next step is either going to be cutting out, serging and hemming skirt pieces or working on the bodice pattern and getting it fit just right. I haven't decided which, skirts are a lot less thinking than bodice so they might win seeing as I have a midterm next week.

12. mazharshah

mazharshah New Member

Wow.Awesome!! Will you share the tutorial? secret of this..:)

13. CANI

CANI Active Member

mindputtee, just wanted to say thanks for sharing this journey with us! I am really enjoying it and in awe of all that goes into these dresses. And thank you to everyone else who has shared their experiences and advice!

14. mindputtee

You guys are awesome. Like seriously. <3

I can try to do a video of it if you like, I'm actually debating right now on whether or not to use the extra lycra I have (there's a ton extra, I over-ordered to be safe) and make another bodysuit so that I can avoid some of the little imperfections of the first and try to really make it perfect. I know it will take me a lot less time than the first one did because I've got the experience under my belt, but it's a question of whether or not I want to go back down that road.

15. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Less than 2 weeks til DCDI!

16. mindputtee

There's noooo way it's going to be done. If I'm lucky I'll have it done by Columbia, but I'm just going to wear the orange and purple dress from my avatar at DCDI instead of trying to stress myself out to finish it.

I did have some fun making a bracelet yesterday using some lycra scraps and the rhinestones I had ordered. I think I'm going to put up a video tutorial of what I did as I make the other ones (for a total of 4) instead of pictures because the pictures don't do the sparkle justice, plus it's an easy project anyone can do to make some bracelets on the cheap that look like the expensive ones.

17. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Not stressing sounds like a good plan. I, for one, have to say that I really admire your taking this on, at all. A major, expensive project, plus school, dance, competition and whatever else is on your plate. That's a lot. (That said, in the interest of full disclosure, back when I used to make all my own clothes, I never took my own advice. Hemming a skirt while you're wearing it, anyone? :oops: :raisebro:)

The orange and purple dress is gorgeous, anyway. :cool:

18. mindputtee

So I wrote another blog entry which you can see here I'm not going to copy it here because it's more idea related and less actually sewing, but I'm taking a poll. Do you like stoning on skirts and do you prefer a skirt that starts at the natural waist or just above the hips? (Drop waist is not an option for my body type.)

19. MissKitty

MissKitty New Member

Please do put a video up of the bracelets Mindputtee that would be very much appreciated!

20. mindputtee

I took the video, I just need to edit it now and make it into useable footage not just a stream of me doing stuff. As soon as I finish studying for this exam I'll get to work on that! >.<