Ballroom dress blog along

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by mindputtee, Oct 5, 2011.

1. GGinrhinestones

GGinrhinestones Well-Known Member

Love stoning on skirts, as long as it doesn't make the skirt too heavy.

I'd say just above the hips, though the two skirt locations are pretty close (at least in my case). Since drop waist isn't an option for you, the just above the hips at least hugs the body a bit more, showing off the curves. High waisted (unless it's empress style or something similar) just looks very 1980s to me.

2. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

I have two presents for y'all today! A promised revised sketch and a video tutorials for rhinestone bracelets.

[​IMG]
    Qualities not great, I was sketching in class on notebook paper and took the picture with my cell phone camera. Sorry!

My green pen sadly exploded recently so I couldn't make it actually green, but the purple will have to work as a stand in. The solid purple is satin chiffon, the dotted is georgette, and the striped is organza (with crinoline in the bottom). I debating putting boning in the bodice to give it that nice shape, but the stoning also adds some stiffness so I might not. It has skirts now but my cell phone camera was being fussy and deleted the pictures before I got to transfer them.

And here is your rhinestone bracelet video tutorial!
    http://youtu.be/l69kY-CQQEM

3. gardinercd

gardinercd New Member

Fantastic tutorial, mindputtee! I've always put elastic into my bracelets, but now I'm starting to wonder why. If you use lycra, it realy doen't look like you need the added bulk.

I'm also amazed at how you stone with your fingers. I would have Gem-Tac everywhere! I use a toothpick/beeswax combo I got from Rhinestoneguy that really works for me.

You can make earrings and necklaces in much the same fashion by rhinstoning fleshtone fabric in a design you like, cutting around the design and painting the back with liquid latex.

4. mindputtee

Oh whoops, I forgot to mirror the picture of the sketch. The large float is on the right wrist and the small scarves are on the left side.

Thanks gardinercd! I tried the wax sticks and it just wasn't working out for me. I like the added dexterity of using my fingers.

I'm thinking about making a matching necklace in a similar method, once I have some more free time.

5. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Interesting. I would have used chiffon, rather than georgette, for floats.

6. NonieS

NonieS Well-Known Member

Her fabric is Chrisanne. "Georgette" is chiffon in Chrisanne-speak. Georgette is their sheer chiffon and then they have the satin chiffon if you want the shiny option.

7. Jananananana

Jananananana Active Member

I thought georgette was just a slightly heavier sheer fabric, similar to chiffon but with more weight to it.

BTW I love love love the design!!!!!

8. mindputtee

That's right Nonie, it is really more like chiffon. What they call satin chiffon is much less transparent than normal chiffon and what they call georgette is like normal chiffon as I know it.

So I finished restoring the orange and purple dress in preparation for DCDI, and my midterm ended just a half hour ago, which means tonight I get to sew!!! =D It's been a while since I've been able to have a sewing night. My goal for tonight is to get the skirts properly attached and maybe even get the crinoline attached too.

Thanks Jananananana! It's gone through a lot of iterations, but I think I've finally settled on this design.

9. NonieS

NonieS Well-Known Member

Maybe for other fabric companies??... for Chrisanne, the georgette is the regular sheer, opaque chiffon. I don't know why they do that... it confused me too the first time I bought Chrisanne fabric. But on their website, they describe their georgette as sheer chiffon. Hey, if it makes them happy....

10. mindputtee

Yeah, I had them send me samples to make sure I knew what it was I was getting before shelling out for it.

11. NonieS

NonieS Well-Known Member

I was always confused on the difference between dance crepe, angelskin, and lycra, and for what purposes one would be better than the others, since they all seemed kind of the same to me. While I was at Blackpool, I went to their kiosk and made them talk to me about it, and then touched all the fabrics haha.

For the record, I am still a little bit unsure.... LOL

12. GGinrhinestones

GGinrhinestones Well-Known Member

I'm currently in the process of making a dress out of their angelskin, which is basically just very thin, very stretchy lycra. Their lycra is much heavier - well, "sturdier" might be a better word. The angelskin is very delicate and tough to work with, and incredibly lightweight, but also very drapey, which is what I love about it. Not sure about the dance crepe, but I'm guessing it's more "cotton-y" than the others?

13. Jananananana

Jananananana Active Member

I'm working on a dress made out of silk organza right now... OW OW!!!

14. NonieS

NonieS Well-Known Member

I mean... I touched them all.. I know what they are... but I still am confused lol. I got that the angelskin/dance crepe less sturdy than the lycra the Chrisanne people said they recommend using dance crepe for draping details and what not... but I am still confused between angelskin and dance crepe. They felt almost the same. I guess I just cannot imagine when I would even need angelskin over dance crepe. The Chrisanne people at Blackpool were not entirely clear either. I guess it just goes down to personal choice. No need to answer that... I was just sharing my confusion.

Either way, I am glad I got to touch them at Blackpool since I couldn't tell from the website and was dying from curiosity haha!

15. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

So I wonder what you ask for from Chrisanne if you want real georgette?

16. CANI

CANI Active Member

Thank you, mindputtee!! Greatly appreciated. I've never been down this path, but I've got the thread bookmarked should I do so in the future!

Sketch is beautiful -- looking forward to seeing the end product! Will watch the tutorial in the future -- thanks again!

17. mindputtee

I finally got time to both take and post some pictures with skirts. Sadly the in progress pictures didn't save so I'll just have to give a text explanation of what I did.

[​IMG]

The skirts are 3 half circles per layer (there are two layers) that's just been sewn together using my wonderful serger and then hemmed with crinoline (again, using the serger.) If you are planning to do any appreciable amount of sewing I highly recommend getting a serger. They are amazing and save you so much time. In the process of fitting the skirts though I realized I had a problem: I want the skirts to sit just above my hips so that means the opening needs to be smaller than my hips, but I also am not putting a zipper in so the problem is getting the skirts over my hips so they will stay. My solution is to put in a snap closure so that it can be open while I slide the dress on and then discreetly snap shut under the bodice and be hidden out of sight. That's the next step followed by actually attaching the skirts to the bodysuit.

18. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

I prefer not to use my serger until the seams are complete, because it's much easier to rip a sewing machine seam if you made an error. If you've serged it, it's harder to rip, plus you're stuck with the exact amount of ease that's been trimmed by the blade.

19. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

I'm with Joe on that one. I use a straight seam first then my serger. (off topic) currently making superhero blankets for my 3 texas grandchildren for Christmas (watch out Jet Blue!Superhero power will be flying this holiday season). Love the serger for the blanket finishings!

20. mindputtee

Perhaps my serger is different (it's incredibly old and weighs a ton) but I find the serged seams way easier to rip out. I can just run my seam ripper down the horizontal threads and the seams pull apart, rather than my machine with a straight stitch where I had to go every few inches and rip more little threads. I used my machine with a straight stitch for the bodysuit and will use it for the bodice too, there's just a lot of room for small errors in the skirt due to the nature of the cut, not to mention they're pretty much just straight seams and pretty simple to sew.

I am by no means an expert on any of this by the way, I'm just sharing my experience so I welcome the wisdom of more experienced dress makers.

I've been thinking more and I think I'm going to have to break down and put in a zipper to get the right fit. ::sigh:: I didn't want to put in a zipper because I always find zippers to be prone to failure, plus it's a pain to actually sew one in.