Ballroom dress blog along

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by mindputtee, Oct 5, 2011.

1. etp777

etp777 Active Member

This is definitely my problem when I get called on this too, Joe is right on here.
  2. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

Judging by the other thread, there seems to be a lot of controversy on this issue. Ab activation is a good way to think about it though. For the most part I had been thinking about straightening out my spine, but I don't think that was the right thing exactly. I haven't gotten called on my butt sticking out anytime lately, I guess I just got really self conscious about it after those few instances.

I still think I am going to wait for OSB (seeing as it's only one week away) and try on a bunch of different styles to get a good feel for what looks good on my body. I'm amazed at how many ladies I see on high level competition floors wearing dresses that just do NOT flatter their body types.

So tomorrow I should have sewing time and my plan is to knock out the bodice (or as much of it as I possibly can.) We'll see how this goes. :D
  3. Andreth

Andreth Member

Thank you! Yes, it's Venice lace. I bought white lace motifs and then dyed them navy blue, and then stoned them with dark indigo, siam, and siam AB stones. I'm also going to stone the dress itself with siam and siam AB stones. It was easier to stone the motifs before sewing them onto the dress though. I still have the floats to do too. I think I'll be trying to finish up tomorrow.
  4. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

I was kidding. :wink:
  5. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

There's a difference between sticking your butt out and having a pronounced butt.
  6. pygmalion

I know. I was kidding. And, just for the record, I've been advised that I have both ... situations. Darn those honest dance teachers. :lol:
  7. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

Nice job so far Andreth! I'm resisting, resisting I say, dragging all of my fabrics out and sewing. Although reading this blogging dress construction - has me screaming...noooooooooooooo....don't let the fabric sit again!!!! lol. sewing addict that I am.
  8. pygmalion

Dying the lace? Masterful, IMO. Gorgeous. Beautiful dress. How did you get the blue (boning? I guess) around the hem without creating crimps, when you were working with such fragile fabric? And did you buy that white and dye it as well?
  9. Andreth

Andreth Member

The blue satin bias binding worked out well for a couple of reasons; one, because it's cut on the bias, so it can go around curved edges, and also because of my sewing machine. I couldn't find any in navy blue, but since it's not a dyeable material, I found some on Ebay from a UK seller...only $15 including shipping for a 25 meter roll! It was perfect. I also have a machine that has a built in dual feed, which is so wonderful for sewing with light fussy fabrics, because it really helps keep them from puckering.

Dying the lace wasn't that hard really, because it's easy to do that in a small bucket or plastic container, and it's easy to swish the pieces around and make sure it gets even. I've done fabric in the washing machine (actually the lycra for this dress was dyed from white in the machine), and that's more of a challenge. Dying is intimidating and I think it's kind of scary because you don't know how it will turn out, but sometimes it's the only option if you're really particular about color (like I am ;)).

I finished the rest of the sewing on the dress today, so now I just have a bunch of stoning to do. Here's a fuzzy picture I just took:

[​IMG][​IMG]
  10. mindputtee

Project update!

The story of this dress seems to be that I start another section and then decide to do it entirely differently than how I had originally planned. The funny thing is it's actually going back to closer to the original design. After thinking a lot about how I was going to make it so that I could actually put the bodice on, I decided to scrap my plan to use the satin chiffon for the bodice. Since the satin chiffon does not stretch like the lycra I would have to put in some kind of closure. Zippers are for losers, so I decided to use the extra lycra I had (I'm so glad I ordered twice as much as I expected to need!) This means I'm going to have 2 extra meters of satin chiffon (in addition to the 2 meters of georgette [Chrisanne's version of chiffon]) to use. So I'm entertaining ideas now for what to do with it. I had originally intended to make the floats out of the georgette, but now that I'm going to have all of this extra satin chiffon I might do some combination of the two. Floats are still a few steps off though. So here's another work in progress picture:
    [​IMG]
    I decided to go with a drop waist. It just looks prettier now that I can see it. The top and bottom edges of the bodice aren't done yet (and it clearly has no straps yet which it will soon) but the middle part is pretty close to being done, so I thought I'd give y'all an update.
  11. etp777

etp777 Active Member

As Mindputtee said, make sure any material you dye will actually accept dye before you try it (on the other side, make sure you get perop dye to match the material in quesiton, where applicable)
  12. Andreth

Andreth Member

Amen!

I like the drop waist on your dress. It seems like the stiffer fabric with more body in the skirts lends itself well to that style.
  13. pygmalion

Oh my gosh! Gorgeous dresses! *jealous*
  14. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

The drop waist is a more modern look.

It looks to me like the skirt is all [conventional] georgette. I think it does need a top layer of [conventional] chiffon, to give it a little movement.
  15. smidra86

smidra86 Active Member

Isn't that how usually dress making goes? At least for me it does. I start with one design and I try to work towards it and then realize either it is much easier to do it another way that looks just as nice or to change it completely. The first dress I ever made [which is my smooth dress in my avatar] I started off with a completely different design and I guess because it was the first dress I was making I was unsure of what went where and how it would look on the floor. All in all, though, it turned out pretty well and moves nicely on the floor. And so far the picture looks fantastic.
  16. skwiggy

skwiggy Well-Known Member

Agreed. I am in the latter category, so I can relate.

The way to tell if the butt is sticking out is not to look at the shape in the back of the body, but to look at the shape in the front of the body. If the pelvis is tilted back, allowing for a large gap or crease interrupting the frontal curve, then the butt is sticking out. If the frontal curve is a continuous shape, then the butt is not sticking out, no matter how pronounced it is in the back.

The will be a slight curve just standing in proper natural alignment, and there will be more pronounced in the back for some than for others. It's when this curve is exaggerated that one runs into functional problems with alignment, connection and movement, and this is what can ultimately cause or aggravate lower back pain.
  17. skwiggy

I have sewing envy. :notworth:
  18. mindputtee

Haha thanks! I love your purple gown, I saw it at DCDI and it's beautiful!

It has a fair amount of movement as is, the skirt is all organza. I'm thinking about sending it through the wash (or hand washing) before attaching it to the bodysuit/bodice to get some stiffness out and bring more movement to it, though I'm definitely going to test it on some of the scraps first (so I DON'T ruin the whole thing) to see how it changes the qualities of the fabric.
  19. skwiggy

Thank you. I certainly had no hand in making any of it!
  20. mindputtee

Quick update: there are now (proper, ahem) snaps in the crotch and elastic in the top of the bodysuit. If you have never sewn with elastic before, you have no idea how happy this makes me.