Ballroom dress blog along

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by mindputtee, Oct 5, 2011.

1. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

haha!

2. smidra86

smidra86 Active Member

Yay for elastic! And yay for snaps! At least going to the bathroom while in the dress won't be too problematic. I hate getting my dress completely on only to realize that I still haven't gone to the bathroom and then I just have to take it off completely and then put it on again. Annoying.

3. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

So the bodice is about 80% done (that's a random number I pulled out of the air, but approximately correct). The top part has been attached to the bodysuit as have the straps. Yay! I made straps using a thick (1") piece of elastic and a lycra casing and attached them to the bodysuit. It took me remarkably less time than I expected to attach the outer bodice to the bodysuit. I expected to have to rip everything out and do it all again once or twice, but I think (I'm hesitant to say for sure) I got it right on the first try! This must be a miracle. I did spend about 10 minutes just staring at it and flipping it around to make sure I was pinning it together right so that I would get a nice smooth top edge and not sew the wrong sides of the fabric together. Then I realized I had put the pins on the wrong side of the fabric and had to move each one to the other side. Then I realized I still had put the pins along the line that would be sewing (is it sad that I thought line of dance when typing that?) and had to go back and move them all 90ยบ. So after doing all that I used a zig zag stitch to secure the elastic down and attach the outside part to the top of the bodysuit. Here's the result:

[​IMG]blurry face!

I pinned the skirts to the bodysuit to give the full effect, but the bottom of the bodice and the skirts are not finished yet, so the wrinkles and lumps will get flattened out. Also the skirts are a little see-through so I'm going to have to make an underskirt lining that goes to my knees or so so that it doesn't look like I'm naked.

4. MissKitty

MissKitty New Member

I am absolutely loving the colour!

5. NonieS

NonieS Well-Known Member

dress looks great... a few layers of green chiffon should do the trick in making it less see through...

6. dancewi

dancewi Member

what sewing machine do you use to make this dress?

7. ktia85

ktia85 Member

Wow! I never thought about making a dress form much less one made of duct tape! That is a great idea!!

8. mindputtee

I used a very old Bernette serger and a regular machine, the make of which I cannot remember at the moment. It's nothing fancy though, just basic stuff.

Thanks, I do too! It's even more vibrant in person too.

Thanks! I'm thinking of just using the extra satin chiffon which is mostly opaque as it is.

9. mindputtee

So I'm doing more sewing, bodice is probably 90% done now, but I checked what brand of sewing machine I am using. It's a brother xr7700 and my serger is a bernette 203.

10. mindputtee

I've tried to post this message three times now and it keeps failing, so I'm not going to write the whole thing out a fourth time, so here's the cliff notes version.

I haven't had any time to sew because of school/competitions, but I got to actually take out my dress last night and look at it for the first time in two weeks. I decided though that it is really boring and needs something to add interest to it. So here's the new plan:
    [​IMG]
    Left is back, right is front. The white x's are representative of rhinestones and the transparent green is stretch net.

This means I'm going to have to rip out a lot of seams in the next few days, but I think I will be much happier with the results.

11. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Your partner will not enjoy all those rhinestones on the back! ;)

12. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

FWIW, the last dress I had made did something similar in terms of drawing the eye in to the waist and out to the hips. And it makes my entire hip area, especially my butt, look big. No two ways about it. TDNWMH, but done is done, and I have learned my lesson.

13. Griffico

Griffico Member

lol seconded!

14. mindputtee

He can stink it up. =P It probably won't really be as thick as it looks, I was just kind of randomly clicking. Touchpads are not ideal for drawing on the computer.

I'm still a few weeks out from stoning as well, so we'll see what I even feel like doing by then. I might leave the mesh in the back mostly unstoned except for a few here and there. Not sure. It also depends on how far my rhinestones get me for the main design, I do not want to have to buy more.

15. mindputtee

Hmmm... that's an interesting point, I hadn't thought about that. I might need to play around with this design some more... bah... I like it in theory, I just need to figure out the best way to execute it.

16. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Thumbs up to this plan.

17. Standarddancer

Standarddancer Well-Known Member

I've always wondering if men partner mind a dress with back (especially where the man's right forearm connect to the back) heavily stoned, then watched Blackpool and UK vids, some top couples do wear dresses with high back and stoned, so guess it could be acceptable by some guys; very good drawing and design by the way!

18. etp777

etp777 Active Member

stoned back bothers me less than a long heavily-stoned skirt. To quote my dad "When she spins it's like getting hit in the leg with a sack of rocks"

19. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

LOL....I'm afraid of few of my partners have experienced that....

20. dlliba10

dlliba10 Well-Known Member

Relatedly, former partner bought a dress sight unseen that ended up having strings of beads instead of fringe like she thought it was from the picture ... We were doing Gold Latin and she didn't have any stockings, so by the end of a single round after all the spinning and sharp turns and everything, her legs were covered in welts and I'm sure mine would have been too if I didn't have pants on. We almost knocked a few judges and competitors out too ... Not the best experience.