Ballroom dress blog along

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by mindputtee, Oct 5, 2011.

1. dancerdol

dancerdol Member

Your dress is beautiful! Congratulations on getting to this stage of the design process! PM me if you want to chat about more stoning tips- I have worked on organza before and on one dress I added a line of stones along just the bottom edge of skirt which helped catch the light when dancing. Consider varying sizes of stones...or adding some larger jewelry stones for accents.

2. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

Well done! Love going along for the dress blog ride.

3. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

It is gorgeous, isn't it? :-D

4. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Wow, amazing dress! I am very impressed.

5. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

I think Joe has a point, too. The skirt will draw more eyes, with a bit more sparkle. :cool:

6. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I would consider getting some of the peridot stones to lightly dot the skirt and the sleeves in addition to the bold swathes of AB that you are planning

7. MissSongbird

MissSongbird Member

With such a beautiful bright color and those sparkles, people won't be able to look away. Great job on it!

8. Standarddancer

Standarddancer Well-Known Member

I also agree the skirt & sleeves are little too plain, agree some peridot stones on skirt and sleeves would make the dress sparkle more under the light!

9. twothreefourone

twothreefourone Active Member

Looking great Mindputtee! The combination of that colour and the blank skirt made me think of a canvas, I'd be tempted to go crazy with fabric paints and try a leafy swirl (batik-esque) with a dark green, and stone over the painted design with green and clear stones for accents.

Pro - lots of swirling colours, con - more weaponisation? :p I've seen hand painting done on bodices but never skirts, that may be why. Heck, I've just had an idea for the dress I'm helping my sister with, to the batcave!

10. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

I decided to try and make a dress using Burda's pattern for a dance dress (pattern #7879), since a) there was a big sale on lycra fabric in a local store and I bought a lot of it b) after I made a couple of practice skirts and tops, which actually came out wearable, I decided to try and make this dress. If it comes out nice, I'll stone it.

11. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

I'll join you there TTD - I pulled out my Kwik Swimwear patterns(for the body of the dress), and a picture of a standard dress that I saw years ago along with the fabric I squirreled away in the closet. I'm quite inspired again MPP by your efforts. I love sewing and creating - it's a matter of having the time and focus for me. Your dress MPP is coming along quite nicely.

12. tanya_the_dancer

I don't know what the people who designed Burda's dance dress pattern were thinking, but it needs a zipper! Especially for someone like me, the difference between my biggest and narrowest points is too big to get through and still have the dress fit snugly.

So, I have made some adjustments in the order the pattern is put together, so that I can put a zipper along the left side. At this point I have the outer bodice all sewn together except for the left side seam where the zipper will go. I'm leaving that exercise for the next sewing session.

13. smidra86

smidra86 Active Member

Wait Burda has a dance dress pattern? How did I not know this. I kind of fail....

14. tanya_the_dancer

Yes, it's their pattern #7879. It's a dance dress with a body suit. There was a poster here who had a blog about making that pattern as well.

15. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Moderator

16. ktia85

ktia85 Member

I found a smooth dress for sale that I am wanting to purchase and possibly alter into a latin dress and change the stones. It is priced really low (due to having korean stones) and thought this might be a way to "flip" a dress as well?? Any opinions/thoughts?

Attached Files:

17. bia

bia Well-Known Member

That's a pretty dress! Seems to me that it's a good idea for getting an affordable dress for yourself. But (speaking as someone who has never sold a dress, so what do I know) I wonder if you'll make back more than the price of the stones in a sale. Nothing wrong with selling it when you're done with it, of course, but I wouldn't expect to make a profit on it.

18. dancerdol

dancerdol Member

TC - you are amazing! Thanks for always coming to the rescue with the thread everyone is looking for!

To all the moderators - thank you for the job you do as volunteers to make DF a great resource for dancers...

19. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

LOL...did you know that TC has his own appreciation thread? We really are quite lucky to have him...he's kinda' like magic - pops in and poof! Threads magically appear. (are you blushing yet TC?)

...and you're welcome to dancerdol! This community is a pleasure to serve....

20. tanya_the_dancer

Here's my sewing update. The bodice is almost put together. Like I said before, I am using Burda's pattern 7879, but I am also using my own dresses as a reference. So far, other than lack of zipper in the pattern, the other deficiency compared to high-end dresses is that the bodice was supposed to be only double-layed. On all my nice dresses the bodice is triple-layered - two layers to the inner swimsuit and a 3rd outer, decorated, layer. The skirt may be attached to that layer, or to middle layer (one of my dress has the latter, the other two have the former). When I was trying this on, the lack of 3rd layer really made a difference, the bodice was just too flimsy. So I bought some swimsuit lining fabric and added a second layer to the inner layer. The upper part of the bodice is still double-layered, but it will also get bra cups, so that should be OK, but the middle part is now triple layered. I attached a photo of my duct-tape body double wearing the bodice.

Attached Files: