Ballroom hair

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Nallesommer, Nov 5, 2010.

1. Nallesommer

Nallesommer New Member

Hi everyone - I am new to this forum, so there might be a thread about this, I just can't find it :)

I am having a hard time with make-up and hair for competitions - I am on elite-plan, or that's what we call it in Denmark (is that what you call "amature" here?)

I would love to see some pictures of how you have done your hair and make-up for competitions, and maybe some tips on what brands to use?

2. NonieS

NonieS Well-Known Member

There are lots of threads on this (Oh TC, where are you?).

And DF user Katarzyna has a whole album on her fotki site devoted to pictures of comp hair and makeup: http://public.fotki.com/klh/ballroom_dancing/new_stuff/

Good luck!! I am terrible at doing my own hair so thank goodness new dance partner has skillz.

3. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

welcome to df...if you use the search function entering key words like hair and make-up...you should find lots of old threads

4. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Well, one thing I learned, especially if you do your own hair, don't dye (and by necessity deep-condition it) less than a week before the comp. My bun came apart in Jive. That was embarassing. But it was just too slick to hold.

5. fascination

20 safety pins and a half a can of hairspray is not too much

6. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

LOL...safety pins? that could be painful....I know...bobby (or hair) pins.

7. fascination

snort...I got NO sleep last night...oops :)...um yea...bobby pins

8. Nallesommer

Nallesommer New Member

well, safety pens would hold it in place, i guess - LOL!
    But thanks for the advide, I will try to have a look around .. What do you use to make it/how do you make it so sleek and shiney?

9. fire_dancer

fire_dancer New Member

My hair is to my mid-to-lower back. Getting it wrestled into a decent hairstyle is impossible, and even a bun by myself is a feat of Herculean strength.

Cue current dance partner, who has offered to learn how to do hair. Now, I just slick it back and he does the rest with bobby pins and a twelve-gallon (it seems!) jug of hair spray.

My advice? Definitely look at pictures and see what works for you, but also consider roping friends/partners/random strangers into helping!

10. Joyful Dancer

Joyful Dancer New Member

Fasc, I would love to meet you in person at a comp as you seem so very nice, but you are NOT getting anywhere near my hair with your safety pins.. ha ha ha....:car:

11. fascination

:)...I do have a high tolerence for pain to be sure

12. fascination

some folks with long hair use a hair net...i prefer the clear hair bands, then I loop my hair around as I please...pin, spray and go

13. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Usually a ton of hairspray is all I need to make it sleek and shiny. But some people use a combination of gel and hairspray.

14. Yana

Yana Member

I have side swept bangs so I use the combo of gel and hairspray to make sure they stay slick back. So far so good, they haven't come undone yet :)

15. fascination

I only use hairspray...but if you spray it then comb it while the spray is wet, then blow dry it on low, it will basically turn into shellaque(sp)...a hard shiny helmet

16. Standarddancer

Standarddancer Well-Known Member

A very good hairdresser always tell me to spray my hair every 20 mins after hair done to keep the shape and joked “you should spray yourself until you’ve overdosed yourself with hair spray..” LOL

17. Nallesommer

Nallesommer New Member

Thank you for all your great advice - I have pretty long hair, and sideswept bangs, but I would like to make a hair-do where the top of the head is liftet, if you understand .. Like, not just combed back and flat, but high on the top?
    Any advice on how to do that?

18. Standarddancer

Standarddancer Well-Known Member

I always do my own makeup, makeup is the easiest, I love it, also did makeup for others at comps…important to find a good foundation suits your skin tone with right shade of blush/bronzer, and long wearing, highly pigmented eye-shadow. Use face primer & eye primer to keep foundation and shadow long lasting; Professional brushes are easier to use than those cheap cotton applicators for blending eyeshadows…

I really can’t and don’t enjoy doing comp hair, maybe cos I have very strong, thick, and difficult to manage hair, I’d rather pay some professional hairdresser to save myself. DF’s katarzyna is very good at hair, she’s fast too; Larinda also has very nice hairstyle all the time on the floor, she looks great with either hair in high bum or down

19. Nallesommer

Nallesommer New Member

I'm not sure what primer is?
    And I've seen that many dancers have a very light, almost white eyeshadow and a lot of it, is this what's "in" right now?

20. jjs914

jjs914 Active Member

I've tried just spraying a good amount of hairspray and then sort of placing and pinning and holding until the hairspray dries for a few seconds. Then more hairspray.

When I've had my hair done, they've done similar, but I think with spray and gel.