Ballroom hair

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Nallesommer, Nov 5, 2010.

1. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

you can back comb/tease it...then spray it...or you can put the ponytails at the top and swirl that hair around the top

2. fire_dancer

fire_dancer New Member

Bump Its! Those little plastic half-moon things that lay on top of your head and you comb your hair over them.

I haven't used them myself (my head is already "long" shaped so more height on top makes me look like a horse) but some friends use them for everyday looks and like them. Be warned, though, that even the "small" bump-it size still gives a good amount of height.

I think they sell them almost anywhere nowadays. Target, CVS, Walgreens, etc.

3. Nallesommer

Nallesommer New Member

Thanks, I'll see if we have them in Denmark, I'm sure we do!

4. Standarddancer

Standarddancer Well-Known Member

Primer are something you put on your face or eyelid before applying foundation or eyeshadow to keep foundation longer wearing. Usually it is liquid or creamy form.

Do you have Sephora in Denmark? Sephora have a few good eye primer I really recommend:

- Urban Decay – Primer Portion
    - Too faced – Shadow Insurance
    - Lorac – Behind the scene

You can go to sephora .com to search, hope this helps.

White shadow is usually applied above the crease line and below eyebrow to shape the eye contour area. If you have dark smoking eyeshadow for a smoking eye look, looks very effective with this white shimmering shadow to create contrast look; good white shadows you can get from either fabulous makeup from Leila (Italian brand, really good, I buy from her from Blackpool, you should have more access to her than I do); or Ben Nye or Make Up Forever Diamond shadow or MAC

It’s hard to say what’s in, makeup is very creative artistic work, you have to do whatever you like, or sometimes the eyeshadow can match your dress, etc. In one of my album photos I had a green dress, and my green eyeshadow from make up forever is applied between the crease and upper eyeliner, and I used black shimmer shadow to applied to crease to shape the eye contour

5. Nallesommer

Nallesommer New Member

Thank you, I will try to have a look at stores in Denmark :)
    My dress is orange-hot pink, but wanted to get some more color to the eyes - anyone who knows which colors would go with this? I am dark-blond-ish

6. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I have a hot pink eyeshadow for the lids...then use orange-ish brown in the crease and white on the brow :)

7. Nallesommer

Nallesommer New Member

But when I think about how it would look, I think it seems too pinkish - but I guess it works when it on! :)

8. fire_dancer

fire_dancer New Member

How about a deep copper, with an orange undertone? Under the lights, the copper might give a neat brown/orange effect depending on how the light hit you. :)

9. waltzgirl

waltzgirl New Member

I need volume on top, too--I look terrible with slicked-back hair. Here's what I do: Set my hair in fairly large rollers. Then, as I take out each roller, I tease the section of hair, spray it, and dry it on low. By the time I'm done with this, I have a huge mass of something not resembling anything found in nature on my head. Then it's a matter of sort of sculpting this mass into the shape I want, then lightly combing the top layer smooth. More hair spray follows.

I got this trick from a comp hairdresser who did my hair in a great French twist this way. I'm not so good at doing the back of my hair, so I usually put it in a ponytail and add a fake bun (my hair is shoulder-length).

10. Nallesommer

Nallesommer New Member

That's a great advice, thank you for that! :)

I will let you all know how it turns out, lol!

11. MissKitty

MissKitty New Member

Foundation:

The BEST is Kryolan ultra foundation. It stays put, does not slide off at all. I can go a 9 hour comp without having to touch it up. Only needs a little powder once or twice during the night to stop it going shiny.

I buy it from a cosmetics shop here (New Zealand) and it costs me only $22 NZD. Im pretty sure you can buy it from the danceshopper website.

I use Natural beige 2 normally but for comps use natural beige 4 as it matches better with my tan (a white face and brown body is not good!)

Just apply with a damp sponge and presto! perfect base.

I am a make up artist so have tried many different brands...you will not find better than this!

12. MissKitty

MissKitty New Member

To the person who asked about white eyeshadow - use it under your brow, it needs to look really white in normal lighting, to show up on the comp floor!

13. Standarddancer

This is a quite cool pinkish smoky eye look, It's very daring, using MAC pigment and MAC brush 239 (I have this brush, very good); if you think this pink color too strong, you can use MAC pigment "Fushia" which is also a gorgeous shade of pink, lighter than this, or blend some MAC pigment "Neo-Orange on eyelid"; The eyelash are bit too much, you can use black ones
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZgkAIxfvck

You can probably blend make up forever Diamond shadow in 302 (gorgeous shimmering pink) with shimmering white shadow below brow at outter corner

14. Standarddancer

This could work too, MAC shadow Amber lights or blend UD Smog & Toasted could do this effect (UD Vegan Pallete has these colors). Also Kat Van Dee (Sephora Brand) makes an eye palette called "True Love" contains 2 gorgeous color of gold and copper, I mix and blend them, it's very beautiful.

15. NonieS

NonieS Well-Known Member

I would recommend for ballroom purposes that you put the fake eyelashes on before you put on any other makeup. By glueing the lashes directly to your bare skin, they will stay on much better once you start moving around and sweating :)

16. Standarddancer

I found no difference put fake lash on before eyeshadow or after, maybe I don't normally sweat too much. I usually put fake lash after shadow only because many times I like to use loose shadow or powdery shadow like MAC pigments or MUF star powder, the loose powder can fall on top of fake lashes and takes extra time to clean up afterwards. It's possible to clean out, just use a black liquid liner to wipe out any colored shadow dust from lash, but this takes extra time

17. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Interesting thread. Does anyone have any suggestions about what brand of hairspray produces the best hold for rhythm/latin? I usually have a pro do my hair and makeup, but since latin hair is mostly just a pulled back hairstyle from what I can see, I am thinking of doing my hair myself.

18. NonieS

NonieS Well-Known Member

I just went to a drug store and bought whatever hairspray said "ultra super mega hold" haha. I just got the most industrial strength can I could find, and it happened to be one of the cheapest. No need to spend a lot of money on it, IME.

19. musicchica86

musicchica86 Active Member

A lot of dancers still use Aquanet, don't they?

20. waltzgirl

waltzgirl New Member

As long as it's a strong hold type, it's less the kind of hairspray and more the amount that counts. Besides spraying while teasing, I usually spray a generous amount, dry it with hair dryer on low, then spray and dry again. Repeat as necessary.