Ballroom hair

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Nallesommer, Nov 5, 2010.

1. mad123

mad123 Member

I'm a fan of Aussie's Hi Hold + Hi Shine hair spray. It's slogan is "Hold on tight!!! Sparkling shine spray meets hair spray might." It gives me the helmet hair I so desire for Latin, doesn't cost much and I get some bonus shine/gloss out of it.

2. Standarddancer

Standarddancer Well-Known Member

I saw some of the professional hair dresser uses this brand called "Got2b", it's a yellow bottle, holds hair up-do pretty well; yes I agree with the previous post that need to spray a generous amount, and best if also used a hair dryer to blow dry it.

3. NonieS

NonieS Well-Known Member

Since I am blonde, and don't like how some hairsprays darken my hair, I have been using a hairspray made for blondes that has a shimmer to it to bring out my color... forget the name of the brand, and I don't have the product with me, but I bought it at a generic drug store (duane reade).

4. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

I use Bed Head's Hard Head hairspray....the name says it all....

5. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

This is what I switched to a few years back and am loving it. The trick to keeping it (or any spray) from darkening my hair is not to wet the hair with the spray. But spray it soft layers that build up. Once the hair looks, gets "wet", or saturated with spray it just ends up looking dark, which is cool if you have dark hair and want to deepen it. But as for most blondes I want to keep it light.

I also love that the spray nozzle is not exposed and so there is not problem with losing the cap and then having hairspray being expelled all over the inside of my luggage.

6. Standarddancer

Standarddancer Well-Known Member

I love this design too, definitely very smart design, very suitable for travel.

7. squeak

squeak New Member

Here is how I do my hair:

1. Separate into front and back
    2. Wet hair substantially, but not so much that it's dripping wet
    3. Take huge dollop of gel through back section of hair, comb, and secure in a ponytail
    4. Swirl a small part from the front around the ponytail to hide it
    5. Begin sectioning parts from the pony tail and doing various designs
    6. Finally, tackle the front part of the head for a nice touch
    7. Hair spray everything, glitter spray everything, and insert hair jewelry

I regularly use 50+ bobby pins in my hair. A very important part of it is, in my opinion, wetting the hair before you gel it. I also use a full tube/bottle of gel in 2 competitions, on average. For 2-day competitions I sleep with my hair as it is and just touch it up with some hair spray and a couple more hairpins the next morning.

Re: Larinda. I do have very dark hair. Darker means shinier for me. Have no idea how to deal with blonde hair.

8. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

Welcome to DF Squeak. Great steps for doing hair, thanks so much!

9. katherinejh

katherinejh Member

John Freida makes a blonde hairspray that is better to a degree but the hold just isn't the same.

10. hereKittyKitty

hereKittyKitty Administrator Staff Member

Freeze it with Optical Brighteners is great for blonde hair....and does indeed freeze!

11. skwiggy

skwiggy Well-Known Member

I like Paul Mitchell Freeze and Shine Super Spray. Although I too have dark hair so I don't know how this would look on a blonde.

12. chocobebe

chocobebe Member

what is the trick to getting the hair completely sleek like the pros? I always seem to be left with stringy looking hair after I hairspray it. Tips?

13. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I make sure my hair is well conditioned to begin with and then after I spray it I use a very fine comb and then my hands to smooth it...shrug...dunno beyind that...but we do have numerous threads on it if you do a search :)

14. Naululani

Naululani Member

I use this "Got2b" too. Works very good for me. The nozzle design allowed to spray only where I want... And very inexpensive!

15. fascination

that stuff is good for sticking...but not for shine

16. 3wishes

At a recent competition Boyko did my hair with a brand of hairspray he had not used on me before. In a black tall canister. I believe it was "Got2B" as well. I have medium brown hair with red/blonde undertone highlights (thank you mommy for the red hair) and the spray produced a nice shine and my hair had the ability to crack walnuts when all was said and done. really.

17. fascination

oh...wow...well then I retract previous statement ..partially :)...the yellow gel is very tacky feeling and opaque, it will hold anything but it will not make anything sleek and you have to be very careful b/c it is very sticky and messy...but I will have to look for the hairspray...I have not seen that

18. 3wishes

bingo fascination, me too. The key, I've learned in watching and asking Boyko when he does my hair, is using a very very fine toothed comb as you spray the hair. Place the fine toothed comb at the root of a section of hair and as you comb back spray as the comb travels through the hair. Adjust hair with fingers, pin. Now, this works for my hair absolutely. Will it work for others? unknown. Fun to try though.

19. gracie

gracie Active Member

Black tall cannister that imparts fantastic shine? Silhouette Pure invisible hold by Schwarzkopf