Ballroom in Dallas?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Dancing Irishman, May 21, 2013.

1. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

Hey all,

My dance partner/fiancée and I just graduated college and will be heading to Dallas Texas this summer to begin working full time (we both went to school in Indiana, so it's a big move). We've found a Latin coach that our coach recommended to us, but I was wondering if anyone knew of good places for instruction in the other three styles (we dance all four at something between silver and novice at am-am comps, but most of our coaching has been in Latin and standard).

I'd also love to hear of any amateur friendly comps in the general area (we're not opposed to driving to other cities for comps). We're working on a tight budget for competition travel, so flying in for all of the Midwestern comps we used to go to is probably (definitely) not in the cards for us the next couple years.

Thanks!
    Mike

2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I bumped 3 threads for you...one is called dancing decisions...the other two have the word dallas in them...they are old but are a place to start....you can also google for instruction in dallas...and I am sure others will pipe in here are about current teachers

3. bia

bia Well-Known Member

I think the nearby comp situation may be somewhat difficult, though the local folks can tell you better once you're there. A couple of possibilities: Texas Ballroom, the club at UT-Austin, has a small comp every spring, and USA Dance has the Gumbo in Baton Rouge every summer. There's also the Sapphire in Austin, but I think it tends to be low on am-am dancers and comparatively high in expense.

4. Sania

Sania Active Member

Southwest Invitational in Dallas area, I believe in September (NDCA)

Sapphire Dancesport Championships in Austin in June (NDCA)

Texas Ballroom has an all amateur competition each April - incredibly low fee for unlimited entries and quite good amateur turnout especially in syllabus levels

Texas challenge in Houston in March (NDCA)

Philip Stevens has a new comp in Houston, I believe in April - he is a well respected adjudicator and coach. His studio is called The Dance Place

I may have missed some. I'm in Austin - feel free to pm me for more info or if you want to discuss coaches

Sania

5. jjs914

jjs914 Active Member

Gary McIntyre is in Austin, I think. He and Susan Kirkland are pro smooth dancers and have been in the open pro smooth final at Ohio. I've never worked with them, but have met Gary and he's very nice as a person.

dlliba10 likes this.
  6. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

I have worked with gary and he is excellent

7. Sania

Sania Active Member

Also in Austin - Denis Generalov - outstanding coach for standard and latin. Former US Amateur 10 dance champion and a really great teacher.

I've never worked with Gary but he is a great to watch! I believe his partner's name is Susan Kirklin.

8. Mr 4 styles

correcto!!

9. Olga Y

Olga Y Member

Hi Mike, early welcome to Dallas! I highly recommend Studio 22 in North Dallas, they have great coaches in all four styles (www studio22dallas com). I've been taking standard lessons and practicing there for over a year and I couldn't be happier. Also, check out Tango Cha Cha's in Plano. There are more studios in DFW area, I think there's one in Carrollton, but don't know the names off the top of my head.

As for competitions, me and my partner are in the same boat, we try to drive everywhere on a budget. As others have mentioned there is Southwestern in Dallas (September), Texas Challenge in Houston (March), Gumbo in Baton Rouge (June) and Texas Ballroom (April) and Sapphire Ball (May/June) in Austin.

10. Mr 4 styles

goooiiiinnngg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

Good info. I was just trying to get some information for someone on Dallas dancing. Thanks!

12. Olga Y

Olga Y Member

I was committed to going for a while and thought may as well register now, but what is the deal with the pricing? $155 flat fee per person is a bit much, I don't think I can pay that for dancing two events :( Was early bird price much better?

13. Mr 4 styles

yep 120 but I do 8-12 events so its a great deal for me

but you get a dinner and gumbo!!!

Olga Y likes this.
  14. Sania

Sania Active Member

Is that the USADance comp?

15. Mr 4 styles

yes it is

16. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

Dang, if only I was getting to Texas a month earlier!

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions everyone, I've started seeking out Craig Shaw for standard coaching and marked a bunch of these comps on the "to be considered" list when my partner and I sit down with our budget.

Olga, Michelle Haffle was actually the coach our coaches recommended! Who do you take standard from at studio 22? Rangel/Veronika?

17. Sania

Sania Active Member

re budget: Texas Ballroom's comp (The Austin Open) has been under $30 for unlimited events, and you dance in the Texas Union Ballroom on a beautiful permanent floor.

18. muyv

muyv Member

DFW area has a few latin teachers, but the standard scene is not so great.

I would highly recommend Ryan Lewis as a coach, he teaches at Tango&Chacha I think. He specialize in latin, but also teaches a standard group lesson on the weekend.

19. Olga Y

Olga Y Member

Yes, Michelle is great! We take lessons with Rangel :)