Ballroom Sponsorship

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by pygmalion, Jan 8, 2004.

1. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Another dance website out there has a forum designed for dance groups looking for sponsorships -- financial, costumes, shoes, etc.

Question: How does sponsorship work in the ballroom world, and is sponsorship a viable option for just your average dancer to help offset the enormous cost of performance and competition? Or is this something that works only for the top pros?

2. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

Speaking from my personal experience...
    We got our first sponsorship from Dore Costumes. We were attending our 4th professional competiton together, so we were by no means anything special. (we came in absolutely dead last at our first comp)

We simply went up to the Dore sales rep and said "Hi! How does someone get sponsored?" Her answer was "We sponsor couples that we like and are nice to us, not neccessarily the champions."

So we said, "What can we do for you...??!!!" And this is my biggest point to make. Companies like it when you have something to offer them, not just that you are a extraordinary dancer.

For all of the sponsorships we have and are woking towards now, we have always taken the attitude that we must earn the companys trust and admiration as people first, then as dancers.

Also, we have been offered sponsorships from companies that we have turned down. We simply did not believe in the product and did not feel comfortable receiving compensation for helping to market something we would never ever purchase for ourselves.

Just a few thoughts...

3. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Wow! That's great advice. Kind of like networking in other aspects of life. Make sure you use, but not abuse your network. Meaning, make sure you have something to give, and not always go looking for something to take.

Interestingly, it does look like sponsorship might work on a smaller level as well. I got a PM from someone looking to sponsor a couple. How about that? It's not just the ballroom big wigs. It looks like it could work for the little to medium wigs as well. 8)

4. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

Sponsorships

Are competitors allowed to have sponsors? Are there limitations/rules??

5. alemana

alemana New Member

you mean pros, right?

6. mamboqueen

No...amateurs.

7. Porfirio Landeros

Porfirio Landeros New Member

Yes, at least the last time I read the rules.

You just have to let USABDA know/approve the arrangement in advance.

8. mamboqueen

Thanks. And these rules carry over to ams that do pro/ams? (Pardon me -- that was probably a stupid question...) :shock:

9. Porfirio Landeros

Porfirio Landeros New Member

As long as the sponsorships aren't direct cash, I don't think the NDCA/PRO-AM circuit will mind. Like, if you had a dressmaker giving you dresses, or a shoe sponsor, etc...

The NDCA still may not even mind cash for lessons, as long as it's getting paid directly to your teacher. I don't know if you remember the stink that came up with scholarship checks being made out directly to the Pro; Ams have felt the check should be there's since they could use it as a reimbursement for past lessons and/or travel to the comp.

10. Chris Stratton

Chris Stratton New Member

You might have problems in pro/am if the pro has existing arrangements with another outfit. There's only one pocket on his suit, and it may already be allocated to whoever made his pro partner's dress.

But then you probably would have the most luck with a company outside the dance industry. For those inside, pro/am students are the market, and pros the billboards.

11. alemana

alemana New Member

MQ you got a big sponsorship to tell us about? :)

12. mamboqueen

Nothing big. Working on something from a local company. They probably won't do it because the comp is out of their market area, but I'm pushing nonetheless. I have to hone in my sales skills (which means I usally cry).

13. Laura

Laura New Member

USA Dance rules do not have any bearing at all on anything that is sanctioned by the NDCA, including (especially) Pro/Am competition.

14. Wildon

Wildon New Member

Correctamundo, oh wise one!

15. DancingJools

DancingJools Member

Nancy Senner, who dances pro-am with her husband, Eddie Ares, was/is sponsored by a major name in dance couture in the US (I'm not being intentionally vague - it's just I'm on the road and can't check the comp programs for the name). It is a well-known design house, and last year used to feature Nancy quite prominently in their ads - may be they still so. I don't know of any reason why a pro-am student should not be sponsored.

16. Laura

Laura New Member

Joolz, you're thinking of DeRay.

A friend of mine who used to do Pro/Am was briefly sponsored by Dee's Creations.

17. Ithink

Ithink Active Member

Dress Sponsorship

I was wondering, for anyone who is familiar with such arrangements, either personally or through friends, what does a dress sponsorship usually entail? What are some of the terms, arrangements people make with their sponsors and their sponsors with them?

Any and all examples would be welcome!!!

18. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

A lot of couples that are sponsored only have to wear the dresses, some are responsible for helping promote them as well or even selling them. It really depends on the level of the couple and which designer we're talking about. It actually varies quite a bit... (Although getting one would be so wonderful...:rolleyes: )

19. lynn

lynn New Member

do you have to ask or do the designers come to you automatically? I guess that kind of depends on the dancers' reputation....

20. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

I haven't figured that one out since I don't have one :( ..
    I am sure the highest level couples are approched, other couples ask or are approached because of standing out in some specific group... ideally group with a nice income etc...