Ballroom Sponsorship

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by pygmalion, Jan 8, 2004.

1. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Moderator

Welcome to Dance Forums, emkey! :)

2. emkey

emkey New Member

thanks for the welcome Ive gone through around 1/4 of the posts already but is it actually possible for companies to actually sponsor a collegiate team?

3. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Definitely welcome to DF, emkey.

There's a lot that goes into choosing a couple/dancer to sponsor, and requirements vary by the costumer/shoevendor/whatever. Just dance skill or income is not always enough though, esp for smaller makers. You have to remember that these are often people running a small business themselves with their name on every label. So They aren't just looking for the best dancers, but the best representatives of their name all around. Hard workers, honest, trustworthy, basically, someone who they're willing and happy to have their name associated with in all ways. Course, doesn't hurt if you know those dancers will also have your label showing during pictures of finals in their category at USDC and OSB too. ;) But not always the first concern, esp for smaller costumers.

4. etp777

etp777 Active Member

It is certainly possible emkey, and depending on their particular setup, can actually be an easier writeoff for them than normal sponsorship.

That being said, if you're looking for donations/help for a college team, you might also post something in Latingal's thread on donations to collegiate teams over here:

http://www.danceforums.com/showthread.php?t=32086

5. emkey

emkey New Member

Uhm USDC and OSB might be a little too far for us after all we are a team in the Philippines (Ateneo De Manila University).
    I have emailed supadance though I'm a little scared since their a big company. We did compete in the Philippine Star Ball (actually that was my first competition)

In terms of hardwork I don't think I've seen people work as hard as my team mates, we only started in late 2007 (with only around two couples) and got supported by the school physical education department in 2008 (currently ten couples with a training pool) and most of us only started seriously training last november and we're already dominating top 6 rankings in closed syllabus competitions but well thats closed syllabus...

I've been sort of hoping our coach's name (Belinda Adora), would help us grab some companies...

Supadance has replied but it was the secretary and they haven't given a straight answer.

6. anniep

anniep New Member

I believe Designs to Shine only did the 1st season... it is now Randall's Designs. Their main office is in Phoenix and their prices are a little lower than Designs to Shine. :)

7. jjs914

jjs914 Active Member

I had also heard that LeNique was doing some costumes for DWTS (I think the men's costumes), but I've not checked the accuracy of that.

8. Jananananana

Jananananana Active Member

Hey Emkey, welcome!! The teams in England have tons of sponsors. They are also very collegiate dancers and they just go around and ask for sponsorships. I know that they wear shirts with all of their sponsors' names on them. They get costumes, and other random things. So, it is definitely possible. For example, the Featherwaits are the team that I am specifically referring to.

I think the bigger question is: how popular is it in your country? How well do the companies know of dance sport? and How willing is your team to go out ask for sponsorships and negotiate the terms of the sponsorship?

9. emkey

emkey New Member

well right now I'm looking mostly for shoe sponsors. it may come as a shock to you guys but none-dance companies i find might be easier to ask sponsorship from since I'm not actually negotiating for their goods and I'm used to this from my other school organizations

10. emkey

emkey New Member

I hate to double post but

Great news!

They haven't completely said yes yet but i spoke with a local company that makes dance shoes here in manila and they seem to be willing to donate! However, I spoke with supadance through email and they also seem to be willing to donate....

hmm lol dillema!
    Hope one or the other gives cash sponsorships as well for the clubs finances

11. TinyDancer109

TinyDancer109 Well-Known Member

Ballroom dancing is $$$

So obviously ballroom dancing is one of the most (if not THE) most expensives sports... after complaining to someone who does not know nor follow ballroom, they suggested a fab idea... "why dont you get sponsored to compete?" why didnt i think of that? :doh:

so i started researching how to get sponsored and i read that the best thing to do is to get an agent (talent agent?)

had anybody ever heard of this or done it? does it work? if so, does anybody know an agent/how to get sponsored in the nyc tri-state area??

I could really use some help because i dont know how much longer i can afford to do what i love most in this world :cry:...

thanks in advance!

12. Whats the name of the Website? I'm looking for sponsorship on a team wide basis.

13. inftaxs

inftaxs New Member

There were several designers on the DWTS, Dress4Dance one of them.

14. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

hmmm, some other designers at DWTS are Randall Designs, Designs to Shine, LeNique and several others. Costume costs run in the thousands.
    Randall has a section on their web site that you can view DWTS costumes for sale with details of such as does Designs to Shine. LeNique also features costumes used on DWTS in the text about the costume itself.
    Happy reading.;)

15. Praesul

Praesul New Member

Sponsors

I'm sorry if there is another thread similar to this one. Please feel free to attach this one onto to it.
    But how does an amateur dancer find sponsorship? Does one go to a doctor or a lawyer and ask for funds? What are other ways for someone to find help affording competitions? Especially one who is not a pro yet. Thanks in advance! :D

16. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Moderator

17. XL_PT

XL_PT Member

Hi everyone.
    Someone reminded me about this thread some months ago when I asked for it (Thanks, Terpsichorean Clod :) )...and now I will "give life to it again"...a sort of Frankenstein. A FrankenThread. :D

Anyway, I am trying to get some sponsoring in order to start my next season with lesser problems than this one (no sponsorship at all...and my monthly wage is gettin shorter every month!)
    I would like to hear from those who have sponsoring how does it work and how could I "approach" the potential sponsor. I have some ideas but...as it is the first time (I am trying but not having much answers, and even less positive answer) maybe I am doing it wrong.

Feel free to reply...and thanks in advance. :D

Terpsichorean Clod likes this.
  18. Kelly Long

Kelly Long New Member

Hello everyone, I am new to this site. I have been reading every post and I initially came here hoping to get some information on sponsorship for lessons. I have been dancing my whole life (since age 9) but I stopped when I joined the Army. As a veteran, I spent 4 years in Iraq and did multiple deployments to Afghanistan and east Africa as well. I mention my military service because I didn't make much money then, nor do I make enough to support competitive dance either. I dance at the open gold level in international standard, and I am trying to see if there are sponsors out there who sponsor lessons. I found a dressmaker to make cheap dresses and I do all the stonework myself. I can afford the shoes as long as I am reasonable about it.

The lessons are stressing my budget, and I have a lot of potential (my instructor wants to take me to USDC this year.) I won nationals when I was 13 in open American smooth (pro-am) so I definitely think I could do well there. I know for many people, talent might not be enough. I am in Virginia Beach and I am new there, so I don't really know that many people. I would love to hear ANY advice on where to start. I'd certainly be willing to do tradeoff work such as marketing, office work, etc. In return for lesson sponsorship. I am so passionate about dancing and I am sincerely hoping to make something possible. Thank you all!

19. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

it is exceedingly rare for someon in pro am to be sponsored and even then it is usually only dresses...let mealso say, and I mean no offense, but winningin pro am at usdc as a junior and winning maybe 8 yeasrs ago, was a bunch easier than you are going to find placing in A1 now...so prepare yourself for that...the comp has grown exponentially.....I think your best chances would be to offer to do some work for the studio ....or to pick up more work elsewhere...sorry to say

stash likes this.
  20. Kelly Long

Kelly Long New Member

It's ok, thanks for your reply. My hopes just deflated....I appreciate the feedback!