Ballroom Sponsorship

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by pygmalion, Jan 8, 2004.

1. Bailamosdance

Bailamosdance Well-Known Member

Kelly, why not look for sponsorship of your coaching? That way you can use the $$s meant for coaching towards your dress.

I would be proud to teach a returning veteran for free simply to show my gratitude for your service to our country. I am sure I am not the only one...

ajiboyet and Kelly Long like this.
  2. Kelly Long

Kelly Long New Member

Bailamosdance, do you mean for the lessons/coaching? That's exactly what I am looking for. My husband is also retired military, so we do okay, just not well enough to afford the lessons and competitions. I may be asking for the moon here, and I just want to be realistic. Thank you for your kind words, I am very proud of my military service! Fox News did a story about my ballroom dance and job in the combat zone on my second deployment. I don't know if it helps my cause or goals, but I am still going to try to arrange something. Thank you for the reply!

Bailamosdance likes this.
  3. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

I think the most likely scenario is a simple military discount on lessons. Sponsorships and freebies are far and few between even for adept pros.

I offer a military - law enforcement discount on privates and groups. It never hurts to ask.

ajiboyet, stash and Bailamosdance like this.
  4. Kelly Long

Kelly Long New Member

Larinda, thank you. I have even been tossing the idea around about starting a non-profit group for veterans who want to dance. I think being in a big Navy community, it might give combat veterans a great way to integrate back into the community and do something fun and rewarding. I really think ballroom dance is a wonderful thing and part of me feels like it's a shame to exclude it for people (especially veterans) that might not be able to afford it.

5. llamasarefuzzy

llamasarefuzzy Well-Known Member

Have you explored teaching wedding/social couples? Sometimes teaching a few lessons is a nice way to supplement income and feed it back on dance

6. Bailamosdance

Bailamosdance Well-Known Member

She is not allowed to teach, as a pro am am half.

7. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

sorry...not my intent ....just sharing my honest assessment

8. RiseNFall

RiseNFall Well-Known Member

Google "Dancing With Our Heroes" to see one program for veterans that involves dancing. This is primarily a fund raiser, but the veterans involved really enjoy it. The studio that I am at does a lot of community activities. I'm sure it is partially for the PR, but they also truly believe in community involvement. (And as the owners are European, they are particularly psyched about their sponsorship of a girl's soccer team.)

Kelly Long likes this.
  9. Kelly Long

Kelly Long New Member

RisenFall, that's a great idea! I am not trying to "get something for nothing." I am a very hard working person both in my professional and dance life, I just want to maximize the dollars invested for the good. I am going to see what my studio owner says. Thanks everyone for your replies and if you hear of anything that could apply please let me know!