Ballroom Sponsorship

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by pygmalion, Jan 8, 2004.

1. wyllo

wyllo New Member

I would guess (and hope) that this arrangement goes further than free dance supplies -- it only seems reasonable that if they are the face of Capezio dancesport and endorse the product then they are being compensated monetarily. I don't know if they are, but I believe this would be allowed under USABDA rules since they are among the elite dancers.

I also have heard that some of the top pros are getting corporate sponsorship from non-dance companies (you know, like NASCAR).
  2. Kitty

Kitty New Member

I heard that top dancers go through lots of pairs of shoes - like a new pair every week... especially since they are wearing them all day long since they are teaching. so it would be a lot of shoes and I would think it is a good deal in itself.
    maybe they get money too, I don't know.
  3. Kitty

Kitty New Member

Laura, thank you for the answers. Wish you lived in NY :) Or I lived in CA, or both of us lived in Chicago:)))))))))
  4. ACtenDance

ACtenDance Active Member

There are plenty of expenses that can be covered through sponsorships... just think of how much a top couple could spend in travel alone.
  5. Laura

Laura New Member

Section 4.12 of the rule book covers sponsorships. 4.12.4 is of particular interest:
    Technically, what I wasn't doing wasn't even a sponsorship. It was rather a deferral of payments program -- the women I made the dresses for paid me for the dresses, just not up front.
  6. Yeah, the thought is amazing, and ... disturbing at the same time ... (referring to how expensive ballroom is, I mean)
  7. star_gazer

star_gazer Active Member

I noticed that Capezio was the grand sponsor of the East Coast Junior Superbowl and awarded the overall winners in each category a 1-yr contract which included 12 pairs of shoes for both dancers of the couple. Shoe costs considered, I thought that sounded pretty good.
  8. Ithink

Ithink Active Member

Thanks everyone for your input. I have a better idea now of what exactly being sponsored means. Someone approached me with some terms and I just wanted to compare them with other similar or dissimilar arrangements to get an idea just what it means.
  9. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

Good for you !
  10. wyllo

wyllo New Member

Congrats -- hope it works out for you!
  11. LXC

LXC New Member

12. Ithink

Ithink Active Member

Thanks. We'll see how it goes:)
  13. fenixx

fenixx Member

I can tell you for a fact Eugene and Maria were compensated monetarily. In fact, when Capezio contracted with them, their contract was the largest in American DanceSport history (this became sticky with USABDA, but it was worked out). Clive and Karen were also sponsored at the same time by Capezio.

A lot of Amateurs, even in America, are sponsored at some level or another. Whether it be shoes, costumes (discounts or free), or what have you. Usually shoes are pretty easy to get.
  14. Kitty

Kitty New Member

hmm
    how?
    I could use a shoe sponsor. I hate spending so much on shoes and I really need several new pairs.
  15. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I even need a sponsor for heel protectors ...I swear I go through a bag a week..good foot pressure:cool:
  16. Katarzyna

Try suade, it lasts a lot longer :)
  17. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

on the ones I'm using the suede comes off in a heartbeat....I like the extra hard ones by freed the best...they DO last longer
  18. wyllo

wyllo New Member

Try superglueing suede to the bottom of your heels. Sometimes the suede pieces pop off, but you just replace them and they protect the heel from wearing down. But I really love this method becuase then the entire shoe that contacts the floor has the same 'feel'.
  19. Katarzyna

I always tape a piece of suade to the heel.. That lasts me for a while
  20. wyllo

wyllo New Member

What kind of tape do you use? I can't imagine regular scotch two-sided tape holding anything for very long that gets as much abuse as a heel.