Ballroom Sponsorship

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by pygmalion, Jan 8, 2004.

1. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

I cut out a star shaped piece (or buy) and than tape it with almost any decent tape around the heel. I don't tape it to the bottom of the heel only, but let the suade wrap around the heel.

2. Chris Stratton

Chris Stratton New Member

Trace the heel tip onto a piece of leather (from a craft store, old item of clothing, or leather store). Draw five tabs extending from that maybe 3/4" long. One on the straight end, two on the sides, two more on the curved end. Cut it out with a razor knife on an old cutting board or wood scrap. Fold the tabs up the sides of the heel and wrap with 1/2" adhesive bandage tape, or something else to your preference. (sometimes you can get first aid tape in a flesh color not too different from the shoes). Somehow, for someone who doesn't wear them I've made quite a few of these...

3. Medira

Medira New Member

Dr. Scholl's Kurotex moleskin will probably work as well. We used to use it for the toes of our pointe shoes.

4. Dancebug

Dancebug Well-Known Member

I got a pair of heel protectors with cork on the bottom from a local vendor. Let me tell you they last forever. I got them early this year and they are still in pretty good shape.

I used to wear off regular plastic protectors in a day. So this is a huge difference.

5. Another Elizabeth

Another Elizabeth Active Member

I've used white surgical tape and "colored" it with a fabric marker with pretty good success. You can get fabric markers in an astonishing array of colors at an art supply store.

6. Medira

Medira New Member

I'd suggest copic markers. They're fabulous.

7. Dancebug

Dancebug Well-Known Member

AE,

Does the fabric marker comes off or bleed easily, or leave stain?

8. Another Elizabeth

I've never noticed a problem with this when using it to color the tape on the heels - I'm not sure what it would come off onto, though. On the occasion where I used a highlighter pen to dye a pair of slightly-worn shoes (my comp shoes were stolen out of my car a day before a comp), it did bleed onto my pantyhose and skin, but I'm not sure I would have had the same problem with a real fabric marker. (This was in the days when you dyed your shoes to match your dress, instead of everyone wearing nude shoes like they do today.)

9. alemana

alemana New Member

so the suede is somehow better than the plastic heel protectors? i've used both but don't understand the preference.. please to explain.

10. Chris Stratton

Chris Stratton New Member

Or simply the days when ladies kept a dress longer than they keep a pair of shoes ;-)

11. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

I don't see (didn't see) much difference when dancing latin, but for standard, the plastic ones tend to hear out a lot faster.

12. Another Elizabeth

I don't like the contact properties of plastic on the floor - it just doesn't feel "right" to me. My heels may skid when I'm going forward, and they feel as if they're going to break free and skid going backwards (although they rarely actually do). So I'll wear either the plastic protectors that have the suede attached to the bottom, the heel tips with suede glued on, or suede stars, but not the plastic caps without suede.

13. Ithink

Ithink Active Member

I feel like the plastic heel tips are really bad on a sticky floor. At Ohio one of my non-sueded heel protectors came off during dancing - I think it just stuck to the really sticky floor there. So suede also has has the benefit of better traction than plastic...

14. alemana

alemana New Member

plus i am constantly stabbing/slicing myself with my heel protectors. maybe i'll go back to suede. fo rsome reason i thought the suede that my first teacher put on my shoes was a "stopgap" measure until i procured plastic protectors... i see now that was not the case. thanks.

15. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Seems to me the "cut it out and glue it on with contact cement" method is much less work. ;)

Not to mention looks better.

16. Ithink

Ithink Active Member

Another dress question: are sponsored ladies usually expected to sell the dress they wear at a comp? If so, what kind of time do they have to sell it? How do they go about doing that? Do they get compensated somehow for selling it?

17. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

I have been sponsored by Dore as a rising star, then for a short stint Maria McGill, and now finally Chrisanne for a long time.

Most companies will expect you to sell "at least" the dress or dresses you are wearing before you get to move on to get another dress. They generally also expect you to sell their dresses to your students and other dancers. So in a sense you are really simply a sales agent with no income but get to wear the goods. If the dress you have doesn't sell you are stuck with it for a LONG TIME. I once wore the same dress for 9 months, at about 3 or 4 comps each month, rising star and open division. That pretty much sucked, same dress 54 times ... generally the dresses can sell in a few comps though.

I guess those are pretty much the rules when you approach a company or are not a finalist level dancer. The top dancers with the top companies do very little except wear the dresses and return them (hopefully clean). And there is no real limit to how often you can change your costumes. Getting show dresses is a little trickier since they have a harder time being resold.

Through all of the years I have rarely designed my own dress. I give general ideas and let it be at that. Mostly I am happy, occassionally I have been disappointed. With Chrisanne I have never even designed a dress at all though. I simply browse the website with everyone else. That way they are not having to make extra dresses for me. Except for right before Ohio and USBC, and then they make 4 or 5 dresses specifially with me in mind but I can choose any of them that I like or take something else from the rack. There is little pressure on anyone this way.

18. Ithink

Ithink Active Member

Thank you so much, Larinda! That was really helpful to me. I now see that what I've been offered is a pretty standard arrangement re: having to sell the dress.

I am however getting to give some input on the designs and colors and such so that should be fun:) Hopefully, my tastes don't stink so much that I am stuck wearing a dress for 9 months;) At least it'll be my own fault and I'll have noone else to blame...

19. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

:p yup that was always my reasoning... I didn't want to be blamed if the dress sucks.

20. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

Does anyone have a sponsor?

Hi everyone! I was wondering if anyone had a sponsor to help support them with their dancing? I had never thought about it until my step-dad mentioned it over the phone the other night. And it's like what he said, that I would have to become really good first, but then maybe I could get someone to help support me in my dancing as long as I help support their business. Has anyone thought of that or has even tried this yet? I know that I've met people that do have sponsors for their sport, but these are professionals of course though. What do you all think? Could this be an idea worth pursuing?