Ballroom Sponsorship

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by pygmalion, Jan 8, 2004.

1. chachachikka

chachachikka New Member

sponsored amateurs?

Is it true that Amateur competitors can be "sponsored"? What does this mean? What are the exact rules? What does it entail? How does it work? Is anyone that you know sponsored?
  2. swan

swan Member

I've seen many types of sponsorships. Gowns, shoes, etc. There might be some companies out there willing to sponsor dancers for publicity. What does it mean? Sometimes the dancers may wear sportswear that carries the logos of that company (whatever products that they're advertising). The companies may sponsor couples for specific competitions (covering some expenses, etc.)
  3. contracheck

contracheck New Member

Doesn't Capezio sponsor Eugene and Maria?
  4. fenixx

fenixx Member

Yes, they are. When they received their sponsorship, they had the largest sponsorship contract ever for a DanceSport couple in the USA. They received cash over 3 years as well as shoes and other apparel. Besides Eugene, lots of amateurs have sponsorships, but they rarely involve cash (still speaking about the USA). Shoes and costumes are the easiest. Most of the time you have to give the costumes back so they can sell them.
  5. Laura

Laura New Member

When asking about rules in the US, remember that there are (at least) two governing bodies you have to make sure you do the right things for.

If you are asking about USA Dance, then the regulations regarding sponsorship are covered in the rule book, which can be found in the DanceSport section of the USA Dance web site. If you are talking about NDCA competitions, then I don't know what the rules are and I can't recall if they are in their rule book or not, but you can find the rule book on the NDCA web site.
  6. Keelzorz

Keelzorz New Member

I know I've seen a number of nearly-identical threads go by...lemme pull a few of them up. Most the combined knowledge on the subject has already been collected here.

Sponsorship

Dress Sponsorship

Does anyone have a sponsor?

Think that should cover things, for starters.

*waves hi to chachachikka*
  7. chachachikka

chachachikka New Member

8. barrefly

barrefly New Member

Sponsors...

Laura mentions "sponsor" in one of her posts. Are some dancers "sponsored"? What does it mean?

My daughter just purchased her first quality latin costume from a company called "Tosca". She loves it...but it was pricey (relitively speaking). I was thinking that when one becomes a top rated dancer...such "dress makers" sponsor such dancer with outfits to wear at no costs, for comps and shows. (..like dress designers loaning outfits to actresses for the Academy Awards). Any truth there?
  9. GJB

GJB Well-Known Member

Yes, lots of the top couples are sponsored by dress makers.
  10. liz

liz New Member

I know alot of the girls in my division are sponsored or work for the different dress vendors at the competitions.They wear the dresses but don't keep them. I is one of the perks of being one of the top dancers.
  11. samina

samina Well-Known Member

liz, do you also dance amateur? i guess i thought you competed only pro-am, in which case pro-am dancers can't have sponsors, correct?
  12. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Why not Samina?

Most, of course, do not, but some do.
  13. Standarddancer

Standarddancer Well-Known Member

I have never heard of pro-am girls can't have sponsors. I sometimes see Chrisanne use some pro-am ladies' testmonies at back of dance beat (at one or two issues). so these ladies aren't sponsored?

Also heard that some sponsors look at dancers' ranking (nationally and Internationally) but also some of them care about more if the sponsored dancer has the ability to sell gown after usage. Some of the sponsors tell the girls they are more likely to get a new dress only if they sell the one they wore.
  14. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Haven't seen ads, so could they be just regular customers?

Dunno, I get large discounts from bonnies belle gowns, but not free, so if it is an issue, I'm fine. :) We sponsor a local pro couple though.
  15. Standarddancer

Agree:)
  16. Standarddancer

haven't heard about bonnies belle gowns, any site? are the gowns nice quality like Chrisanne or Dore?
  17. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Website link is right in etp's signature line. ;)
  18. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

Chrisanne does not sponsor any pro-am ladies. The women sometimes featured in the paper or on their US site are just happy customers.
  19. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Local (IL/IN/WI) only. But yeah, link is there. :)
  20. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Thanks Larinda, thats' what I thought, was'nt sure though. Certainly doesn't make their opinion any less valuable of course. :)