Ballroom Sponsorship

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by pygmalion, Jan 8, 2004.

1. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Chrisanne does not. Some other companies have, albeit on an infrequent basis at best, and then usually (as noted above) only for a student who works for the dress company in question.
  2. samina

samina Well-Known Member

it just sounds to me like a violation of the terms of being pro-am... it is compensation. are you saying it's actually allowed???
  3. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

please...they'll come up with a new rule!! :roll: I don't think sponsorship is any more "compensation" than a scholarship.....
  4. Standarddancer

Standarddancer Well-Known Member

oh I saw it, nice latin dresses!
  5. Standarddancer

why you think sponsoring pro-am is like violation of the term of being pro-am?
  6. etp777

etp777 Active Member

thanks standarddancer. :)
  7. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Dress sponsorship is not compensation, especially if you realize that the sponsored person (usually woman) is more "mobile dress mannequin" than "temporary dress owner."

Shifting from pro-am, and just to make my point clear, at USDC I witnessed several pro finalists came back to their sponsor's booth (after their events) to be told that their USDC dresses had now been sold. Didn't matter if the pro loved the dress or not, the point is that the sponsor is sponsoring in order to sell, and if they want to, that's what happens. So, is there an economic advantage to those who are sponsored? Absolutely! ...BUT sponsorship is not the same as compensation either (and their are no rules against it).
  8. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

Dancing Billboard.
  9. samina

samina Well-Known Member

i beg to differ, actually. scholarship winnings could be considered a token reimbursement just for having entered the comp...there's no gain.

at the same time, who spends more money in the competitive industry than pro-amers? seems like it's the least that could be allowed to help offset the considerable costs at that level. so no complaints from me.

i don't understand the logic behind allowing it, tho, considering how protective the industry is of pro-am status not becoming like that allowed to full-fledged amateurs.
  10. Standarddancer

or dancing model;) Sponsors need good looking models who dances well in their dresses to make the images of their companies look great to attract the public to boost sales.
  11. samina

samina Well-Known Member

huh...interesting.
  12. samina

samina Well-Known Member

that's nice
  13. Standarddancer

The only disadvantage of being sponsored is that no matter how much you love that dress, it's not your dress:( you don't have ultimate control of when to sell it:( the good thing is that you've been told you look so great in that dress, someone wants it as soon as they see you:) and you'll get a new dress next time!
  14. samina

samina Well-Known Member

<<sound of paradigm shifting...>>
  15. etp777

etp777 Active Member

That's for sure. :) And besides good business, I enjoy watching. ;)
  16. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

I've heard pros talk about their dresses being sold while they were still wearing them, and I've always wondered how this works!

So I could be watching a competition, see a dress I like and a sponsor name, and head to the dressmaker's booth and say "Is X's dress for sale? I want to buy it!"

Huh.

But how in the world would a potential customer know if such a dress fits, or how it might look on her body? Would the potential customer just be claiming first dibs on trying it on? Can dresses be altered for their new owners? (It strikes me that a somewhat higher percentage of pros are size 0 or 2 than members of the potential customer base.)

Do the pro dancers care if the dresses sell?
  17. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Yes dresses can be altered, and they can be sold out from under you.

Works other way too. dressmaker that sponsors my dad's pro was at one of our comps doing their regular trunk show. She wasn't exactly paying attention to time, and his heats creeped up on her. :) She ran from job as floor captain over to dressmaker, grabbed one of their dresses off rack (one she had worn before) and threw it on for comp. So works oth ways, can be sold out tfrom under you while you're on floor, and if dressmaker is there, poosibililty of pro grabbing one of dressmakers dresses to dance that day. :)
  18. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

Yes dresses can and often do sell the weekend that a pro is wearing them.

I have had dresses sell BEFORE I wear it, while it is still hanging in the vendor booth. The new owner is told that I will be wearing it and then can have it as soon as my event is over. Sometimes they are wearing it the next day. Usually this is at major comps like USDC or Ohio, when I want to wear that particular dress. If it is a regualr comp and I don't mind switching it up before I dance, the new owner can walk with my dress and I will take something off the rack to wear instead.

More often after a pro wears the dress someone heads to the design company, the pro is associated with, and buys the dress. I have several ladies scattered around the country that know if the dress fits me, it will fit them. So a lot of the time it is a repeat customer.

Dresses that are sponsored dresses are usually sold as "New" and come with whatever conditions a customer would get with any regualr new dress they purchase, alterations, repair kit, return for resale...

And yes I care if a dress sells. I want the company (companies) that clothes me to be happy and successful.
  19. dressgirl

dressgirl New Member

larinda rocks that way! Sponsorship is great but not for the faint of heart. One very high level pro was "naked" at the end of USDSC. She had 3 dresses going into Nevada on the rack and we made 3 for her for Orlando. By the end of USDSC all were gone. So, if you get nervous not knowing everything about your dresses, I would advise against sponsorship.
  20. delamusica

delamusica Active Member

When I danced pro-am I wasn't sponsored - I only competed a couple of times a year at best - but there was a dressmaker who had known my partner and I for a LONG time. He would sometimes invite me to browse the rack of dresses he had with him and would let me borrow one for my events if I wanted. It was never about giving me a dress (as in compensation) - it was about getting his dress out where people would see it, and hopefully come buy it.

Dancing billboard is right. And as a bonus for advertising you get to wear a pretty dress for an hour or whatever. Win-win. :)