Ballroom Sponsorship

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by pygmalion, Jan 8, 2004.

1. reb

reb Active Member

too funny :D
  2. njdancegirl

njdancegirl Active Member

I did this with the red latin in my avatar pic...bought the dress the day before the pro was supposed to wear it. I was told she had to wear it the next night and they did knock off a small amount of $ off the original (new) asking price.
  3. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

"Sponsoring" may not be direct compensation, but it is compensation. If you didn't have the sponsored dress you'd have to either buy or rent one. Wearing a sponsored dress means you are not out of pocket. Yes, you are providing a service for the dressmaker--so you both benefit--but there's still an exchange of value. It's like the old non-teaching rules (don't recall if it's am or pro/am) that used to say you couldn't teach at a studio in exchange for lessons (or something like that) even if you were not being paid cash money.
  4. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I have seen a dress on a top smooth pro (the only one large enough whose dresses I could wear) and gone looking for it afterward to buy...sadly, it seems to be gone but if I find it I will be trying it on
  5. liz

liz New Member

Yes, I only dance pro/am. Most of girls in my division are sponsored.
  6. Josh

Josh Active Member

The new pro/am rules have nothing to do with compensation. The am in a pro/am partnership can't teach, even for FREE. It's that the NDCA doesn't want the am to teach, period. Thus, receiving a dress for free would have nothing to do with it.
  7. samina

samina Well-Known Member

this is my own logic around the situation.

of course, i still wouldn't argue against the benefit...:rolleyes:
  8. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Exactly Josh.

Students teaching is what would threaten teachers livelihood, so the NDCA -- whose primary constituency are teaching organizations -- is protecting their financial lifeblood in restricting student teaching. Seeing as the vast majority of teachers do not even compete, the non-teaching issues thus become non-issues from this perspective.
  9. fascination

lol...running off to pursue a dress sponsor
  10. Standarddancer

Standarddancer Well-Known Member

Just curious, how many of you sponsored gals signed a contract with your sponsors that you have to wear exclusively sponsors' company's gowns?
  11. SDsalsaguy

Don't know about signatures, but I don't know of any sponsors who are OK with you wearing other gowns while sponsored (at least per style, and with very specific exceptions).
  12. barrefly

barrefly New Member

Wow....interesting thread.
    Take a look at this link.
    http://dancesportinfo.net/DisplayTopCouples.aspx
    ...what's all the "by so-and-so" about. I assume it some sort of sponsorship arrangement.

Also, ....some said an am can't teach. Is that "can't teach" in the dance the event is in? My daughter teaches salsa. That should affect her in ballroom/latin?

I am also curious about the other ways dancers get sponsered. i.e. Free use of the studio, or...perhaps the studio (or just rich affecionados) pays for things such as airfair, hotel, entrance fees...if the dancers rep. the studio or simply hang with the sponsor during the event...I dunno? Perhaps dancers are paid out right if they contract with a company, saying they only wear so-and-so dresses etc.

Ballroom/latin is becoming very intriguing to me.
  13. SDsalsaguy

If she is teaching slasa then she can compete as part of an amateur couple but cannot compete as a student in pro-am.
  14. Standarddancer

Logically yes of course someone give you things free to wear, you are not supposed to wear someone else' creations. But what if the sponsor doesn't give the girl new gown unless she sells the one she's wearing and for whatever reason, she has difficulty to sell the existing one. And she's not allowed to wear other gowns? So she's stuck to wear the same one until that one sold? Just a thought.
  15. barrefly

barrefly New Member

Thanks Jonathon, I will mention it to her studio/instructors. She has also made money from competing in salsa....I figure that would make a difference as well.
    By the way, the designer/owner (Tosca) told Missy that she will be adding a children/teen? line and asked if Missy could model for her catalog. Should Missy ask for compensation? How much...a free dress?

P.S...I enjoyed your dissertation. Are you working on any other projects. Johnny Vazquez is coming to the U.S. in Dec. You should try to get an interview with him. (Why did so many of the big L.A. salsa dancers move to europe?).
  16. Standarddancer

maybe a free dress, or some practice wears...
  17. SDsalsaguy

Sure, but you're only looking at it from the dancers point of view. Selling the gown is why the sponsor agrees to sponsor you in the first place, right? So if you're not selling gowns why would they want to sponsor you? (And if they hypothetically don't care about selling gowns, they'd make you a new one anyway.)

(barrefly, I'm heading out the door now so will have to respond later.)
  18. Standarddancer

Never heard studio paying competitors airfare, hotel, etc. I've only heard pro-am students paying their teachers' hotel sometimes, if the students' entry fall on a different day causing their teachers must to stay in hotel for an extra one or two nights.
  19. dressgirl

dressgirl New Member

The only way one of our sponsored couples would be wearing someone else's dress would be with permission. Communication in sponsorship is key. And it wouldn't work for me to have smooth sponsored by someone else and rhythm by me or showdance or whatever. You can't be loyal to two companies. And it would just work out to competition between the two. For showdance, couples can put together something on their own......... jeans etc with our embellishments or not.

As to what to do if you don't sell your dress, the question would be why are you sponsored and what are you doing for your sponsor? If you are living up to your part of the bargain, it probably won't be an issue.

And thoughts on Pro-Am sponsorship.........who is the sponsor of all these girls in your division Liz? Believe me, being sponsored is not about just being a model. Or about telling people about your dress. I only sponsor pro-ams who work for me. And not all people who work for me are sponsored. Plus, some of the ones I sponsor, choose to purchase their gown from me vs. guess if their gown might sell at a comp.
  20. fascination

gotta say this thread was the first I ever heard of any pro/am.s being sponsored ....kind of embarassing not to have known that... I would figure they would have to be pretty doggone big names...ya learn something everyday