Ballroom Sponsorship

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by pygmalion, Jan 8, 2004.

1. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Agreeing with what others have said, even though semi-sponsored by BBG, I fall into the work for category (or rather, invested in when I had the kuwait job and no lessons to spend money on ;) ). My shirts (smooth and latin), aren't from BBG, but bought them both before she started making men's shirts. And she still ggives me a hard time about it. :p

I must say Im' curious about the woman Liz is dancing with too. I haven't known any pro-am people to be sponsored, in any respect of the word, unless they had some other association with the dressmaker. Certainly not that I don't believe you Liz, just curious. :)

2. star_gazer

star_gazer Active Member

I would love for my daughter to have a dress sponsor but that said, if you buy good dresses and maintain them well, the resale is okay. Not that we make money but we don't lose lots of money either. What I would really love is a sky miles sponsor, or Marriott to sponsor them...or a Shoe Sponsor!!!

3. dressgirl

dressgirl New Member

hey I need a sky miles sponsor too!!!! And Marriott!! As much as I promote and use Delta, they still want me to pay for tickets.........hmmmmm, imagine that:)

4. star_gazer

star_gazer Active Member

Yeh, a little far-fetched.

5. reb

reb Active Member

Its good think you're finding out before you win at Ohio . . . :D

6. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

from your mouth to God's ear...and my practice floor...but I will just settle for dancing awesomely :)

7. Standarddancer

Standarddancer Well-Known Member

that's very nice of you actually. Communication is certainly necessary, just like you are at work, you must ask permission from boss for vacation or time off.

Just thinking in rare occasion might be a dress with distinctive style or somehow TOO unique so hard to find someone fit the dress (or just bold enough to wear it) plus have the wallet to buy? certain dresses takes a way longer to sell than others. I've been lucky to sell my green Sapiel after 3 usage, someone approached me after a comp and offer to buy; also my red Elegance of London dress were sold immediately after a show; just lucky, met the buyer at the right time and location. I have other designer dresses equally beautiful but takes much longer to sell, maybe because the price (designer dresses have higher prices) and maybe the economy, etc. Even rocky Larinda stuck with a dress for 9 months (see a few pages before)

I think the sponsored girls all want to sell the dress, I guess if someone constantly having trouble selling the dress she's wearing, probably she will be too embarrassed to ask the sponsor for a new one either.

8. Standarddancer

shoes actually ok, if you use heel protectors, preventing wear down slower. Hotel is expensive, but there are ways to get around, such as sharing with dance friends, only airline tickets & quality dresses have very little ways to get round, thus IMO Sky miles sponsor & dress sponsor would be most lovely. lol.

9. liz

liz New Member

I dance ladies A Open Gold or just open events. I wasn't going to name names but, I know for sure that karen Angell is sponsored by Irina's Fashions. It also says so on the website. I know that when Nancy Senner was still an am she was sponsored by may different dress sponsors over the years. I am sure that Tracey Childers and Ruthie Perkins work for Designs to Shine and wear their dresses for free( as in sponsored if not said so in so may words). I am not 100% sure if Kristine Stanko is sponsored by Jordy, but i do think she works with them in some form. I think that Pamela is working with Elle in some form. She is the model in the new pictures on their site... That is all I can think of at the moment. I am really good friends with Zhanna Kens who wanted to sponsor me, but, I can't wear any of her dresses.. My boobs are just to big..:D

10. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

Just curious, how do sponsored ladies work for designers? Run the booth at the competitions? Design the dresses? Make the dresses? Sell them?

11. Laura

Laura New Member

High-profile ladies wear the dresses as marketing and bring attention to the designer, plus customers (often in the form of their students and/or their partner's students).

12. liz

liz New Member

I would say yes to all...

13. dressgirl

dressgirl New Member

Ruthie and Tracy are reps. They "literally" work for the company ........as in travel, deal with shipping, lugging, tugging, setting up, tearing down, zipping, responsible for inventory, money, receipts, alterations, paperwork out of this world and expenses. They make a commission for their efforts and yes, they get to wear gowns. I wouldn't want it any other way for them. How would it look to have them in the booth and wearing someone else's dress?

As to the others, Christine, I am almost positive, is on her own. And modeling in an ad does not necessarily constitute sponsorship. Karen Angel was a rep for DTS, although that may have changed, but she is definitely trained as a rep.

I am not "the authority" but I get around a little bit. I know of very few truly sponsored pro-ams. And most are connected to an exclusivity of a studio, a teacher etc. Again, I think you need to ask yourselves, what do you have to really offer a company? Why should a company design, order fabric and stones, construct, pay labor costs and overhead, take time away from the next paying customer in line, to make a dress for you to dance, sweat in and thank them for? I think of this in regard to every pro, every am we have.

So now you know that we have some really valuable people!! :)

14. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

I specifically had to talk about this with my new sponsor. I would not want the sponsorship if it was to be exclusive for obvoius reasons in my dresser.. So any agreement with the designer has to be mutually beneficial.

15. Standarddancer

you are so used to have new gown for each comp, if that's exclusive, would be so hard for you. I can't imagine seeing kat in same gown twice on the floor...lol... Some girls have no problem wear the same one for a year;) but she's really nice so good for you:)

16. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

As i asaid its mutually beneficial :) and i believe in her product

17. emkey

emkey New Member

this might be in some way offtopic to what you guys are already discussing but.
    I'm part of the Ateneo de Manila DanceSport Club and we've been winning closed syllabus competitions for the past year and we're moving up to open competition now and could really use sponsorships but I'm not to familiar with getting sponsors for things such as this (athletics but I do know how to get sponsors for events and the such) can anyone give me any tips as well as any companies that sponsor teams or clubs? I did try sending an email to supadance

18. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to DF

This thread is 176 posts long of sponsorship ideas. Just read some of it to get ideas.

19. TAK

TAK Member

Very interesting thread.

I can imagine that it would be harder for a collegiate amateur dancer, all else being equal, to get sponsored b/c the circles in which she runs (i.e. students) are not very high-income.

Does that sound accurate to you guys?

20. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Moderator

They might not be high-income at the moment, but they are potentially high-income.