Ballroom teachers needed - no experience required

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by pygmalion, Aug 6, 2004.

1. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

Yes, one of my couples was informed, this past weekend at MIT, that they had pointed out of silver and must dance up to gold. I was thankful that someone was watching the points.
  2. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Usually your fellow competitors are also keeping an eye on you, as well, if only to kick you up and out of their level.
  3. SamanthaRumba

SamanthaRumba New Member

I need advice. I grew up in dance but was new to Ballroom when I noticed an ad with Arthur Murray saying they needed people who love to dance and would train - so no ballroom experience necessary. After two interviews I was asked to sign a contract after a brief explanation of how things would go for the first year. Now, I should have asked more questions but I thought I understood everything they told me. After I signed, training started. Non paid, 5 days a week. This lasted for over a month. Needless to say, my bank account was hurting but I truly enjoy to dance so was excited to start teaching (with on going training). It's gotten better, but I'm not happy with the compensation or the mandatory on going training. We are constantly told we have to go here or there for more training (mostly sales - not dance. I rarely get to dance with any one other than students at parties) and drive between the multiple studios -even out of town. All of this extra time is unpaid. On one hand, I know it's necessary.. but on the other, it's mandatory and makes it impossible for me to hold another job to pay my bills. I've mentioned this and am told to "stick it out", and to generate more lessons so I can make more money. Well, we are not allowed to advertise and there aren't many people rushing through the doors.
    Has anyone gone through the training at AM and have advice for me? We fill out our own payslips weekly, and after doing the math... it seems like it would take years upon years before any money would be made. I also noticed that the hours we are paid more for are subtracted twice from the rest of our compensation, so we are still making minimum wage.
    Granted, I did go into it realizing that this was a passion and that I shouldn't expect to make a lot of money, especially right away.. but it's not even enough to live on, and the hours make it hard to make money elsewhere (which was originally my plan). It just feels a little sneaky on their behalf.
    That being said, I don't want it to seem like I am bashing all AM's. I do like the studio, and the students... I'm just a little lost on how it will pay off in the long run, and would love some other points of view.
    Also, has anyone signed a contract before? If it is a year contract, does that mean I cannot leave without having to pay for the training? I have sold some really expensive programs and am not certified yet. Thank you for your input.
  4. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

take the contract to an attorney....

it is probably unenforceable....this sounds shameful
  5. SamanthaRumba

SamanthaRumba New Member

Thanks for the advice. I think that may have to be my next step. Which really is a shame because I do enjoy the students and the actual dances I just wish I knew more and was better prepared for the training.
  6. Bailamosdance

Bailamosdance Well-Known Member

Also note that your 'certification' only exists when you are an AM employee. it does not travel with you or have any significance in the dance world, outside your employer.

Has it been 6 weeks yet?
    danceronice likes this.
  7. SamanthaRumba

SamanthaRumba New Member

I've been there for about 4 months
  8. Bailamosdance

Bailamosdance Well-Known Member

No wonder....
    Larinda McRaven likes this.
  9. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

I see what you did there.
  10. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

11. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

lol...you people
  12. chachachacat

chachachacat Well-Known Member

Feather Award is a made- up thing by Cay Cannon. I worked for her and they don't mean so what. At first there were hardly any votes. Cay just made up the winners by who bought the most tickets, I swear to God.