Ballroomization of argentine tango?

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by opendoor, Apr 9, 2013.

1. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

Recently I found this photo and it made me feel uneasy: too much gold, too much stucco, too much crystal...

I learned tango in the red light district of my hometown, I danced tango on weekday nights wearing everyday clothes, I preferred milongas helt at dusky bars...

Can you somehow relate to my stomachache?
    [​IMG]
    (to clarify: with my european background I rather associate ballroom with a certain kind of location than with the dance style.)​
  2. NZ_Guy

NZ_Guy Member

I can't say I mind.. I diversity of venues is a good thing imho. As long as nobody tries to make such venues the only sort of place for tango for that community.

It's this that I thought looked rather peculiar: youtube: /watch?v=GMAaNoQEMYM
  3. sixela

sixela Active Member

I think you meant

Did you mean the numbers on their backs, or (amongst others, since there seems to be a lot of 'Einheitswurst') the ballroomy 'let me show how DRAMATIC we can look when we're both doing a side step, look at me, look at me' meme that absolutely everyone seems to have picked up?

Or did you mean 'Dancing to Troilo's Guapeando is just the same as dancing to Demare's Que Solo Estoy, only faster'?
    Lilly_of_the_valley likes this.
  4. UKDancer

UKDancer Well-Known Member

That's just terrible!

Apart from anything else, what is the point of opening with one of those big sidesteps, just to stand still again. Why not just take up what passes for an embrace a yard to your left?
    Tanguera2 likes this.
  5. Zoopsia59

Zoopsia59 Well-Known Member

On a positive note.. I like some of the dresses.
    LKSO likes this.
  6. sixela

sixela Active Member

Careful about 'liking dresses'. Once you start down the Dark Path, forever will it dominate your destiny.
    Yogur griego and Mladenac like this.
  7. twnkltoz

twnkltoz Well-Known Member

The photo is a performance and the video is a competition. What do either of those have to do with milongas? If you don't like milongas in ballrooms, don't go to them.

In our town, we have a couple of studios that are very classy and nicely appointed with beautiful hardwood floors and a third that is in a 100-year-old firehouse with a nicely finished particle board floor (it is sprung or whatever so it's not hard). Two very different experiences, different music, different approach to the dance. I happen to prefer the latter, but many prefer the former. To each his own.
    Loki likes this.
  8. jantango

jantango Active Member

I am struck by the beauty of the venue (probably in Russia or somewhere in eastern Europe) where the dancers are dressed elegantly for the festival performance. It shows great respect for the tango. They are fortunate to have such a place for tango.

There are luxurious palaces in Buenos Aires built a century ago, but they are far too expensive for milonga organizers. They have to make due with old halls that are not always well maintained. The city government doesn't support the milongas financially, although they are the main attraction for tango dancers around the world.

Last week I had a private tour of the Palacio Rodriguez Pena where society dined and danced in another era. It doesn't compare to the golden palace in the photo, but it was one of the great salons for tango. The orchestra of Osvaldo Pugliese played there on Friday nights at one time. Organizers inquire about renting the place for a milonga, but so far no one has signed a contract to open.
  9. AndaBien

AndaBien Well-Known Member

Isn't that how the dance starts? That's how the 8cb starts.
  10. jantango

jantango Active Member

Not necessarily. Women are ready for other options.

I thought the 8cb began with the man stepping back on his right foot. This backstep against the line of dance was outlawed.
    Loki likes this.
  11. AndaBien

At least they know that much.
  12. Zoopsia59

Zoopsia59 Well-Known Member

Well, occasionally I need a break from obsessing about shoes.
  13. LKSO

LKSO Active Member

It's something called "salida". It means to exit (from the tables at a milonga) but somehow they think they're at a milonga with tables all around them. They're trying to preserve the essence of being at a milonga at the competition.

Anyway, to comment on the competition, I saw 2 seconds of it and am already disgusted. I'm just listening to the music now because I don't want my eyes to be raped.
  14. AndaBien

I want to thank everyone for explaining the fundamentals to me. What a series of epiphanies for me! My dancing will forever be elevated.
    Subliminal, Loki, rain_dog and 2 others like this.
  15. jfm

jfm Active Member

I agree with Jan that the ballroom looks gorgeous and see no problem at all in dancing in a ballroom or a salon. In London we used to have some venues like that and it was a nice change from sports halls or bars. In Paris in the 20s they danced in beautiful venues so it's not even like it's 'inauthentic'.
  16. LKSO

LKSO Active Member

I'm glad to have enlightened you!
  17. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

Here's another, I heard that the 8CB got it's name because it has eight steps in it.

[​IMG]
    Loki likes this.
  18. rain_dog

rain_dog Member

No! I love beautiful, elegant dance halls like that, as I feel tango should have a certain sense of elegance. Men in suits, women in dresses, a beautiful hardwood floor, chandeliers, white tablecloths, candles, Di Sarli on the PA, it all fits together.
    jantango likes this.
  19. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

I have no objection to the decor, having been to several tango feasts at the Oldway Mansion in Torquay; a Palladian Villa with Italianate styling. But the floor and the acoustics are more important. I have also danced in the Cheltenham Pump Rooms; that was lovely.

Attached Files:

20. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

I would have waited for the next tanda..the song was just mediocre IMO..
    Loki likes this.