Barrel Roll

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by DanceMentor, Oct 10, 2012.

1. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

This. I have one in my choreo.

ACtenDance likes this.
  2. ACtenDance

ACtenDance Active Member

I looked at my video from last weekend and saw you do that. That's what I've seen referred to as a barrel roll. I've also heard the term barrel roll used to describe any number of pivoting actions where a samba roll type of shaping is used to create an exaggerated shape.

3. NavyBee

NavyBee New Member

Edita dances the lady's steps in the Youtube video
    "Maintaining the principles"
    from 09:16-09:18

The body rhythm and the group of steps before indicate she demonstrates in Slow Waltz (1&2&3, maybe?).

4. DL

DL Well-Known Member

At this point I lump myself in the "Once I was wrong: I thought I had made a mistake" category. :)

(Somebody mentioned foxtrot for tumble turn, and now that I've seen that comment I think it was an open foxtrot routine I started learning, for which it rang a bell for me.)

5. madmaximus

madmaximus Well-Known Member

Huh...

I remember dropping in on an advanced dancer's lecture by a well-respected San Francisco-based teacher talking about a "Barrel Roll" in the Quickstep.

Can't remember the exact details anymore, but it looked like a reversed curved feather taken as a run into DC, ending with a LF check facing DC against LOD, a man's heel turn to the left taken backing LOD (man's), a tumble turn that featured a face-to-face samba-roll-style move with a slip pivot in there, then ended with a promenade run---something like that.

That was about 18+ years ago... so it's just a little bit hazy, and it was the only time I ever heard about it.

I remember asking a world-class coach about it, and the reaction was (...?)

I'll post details if I can remember the exact moves.

m

6. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

You already have described it exactly ,as in F/trot ( where it first appeared ) with one exception , no heel turn exit.. it is exited by 4.5.6. of a Rev turn and the entry is syncopated . Its shaped very strongly to the mans left .

PS.. the "check" action is not deep, due to the quick exit, danced S Qand Q

7. tangotime

Twas me..

8. vit

vit Active Member

I checked several DVDs by Mirko Gozzoli, although all of them are with Alessia, his previous partner, before he started dancing with Edita. Unfortunately, barrel roll isn't mentioned anywhere, even in the video Advanced standard ballroom figures, where big number of figures is explained. Closest thing that I could find was actually a kind of double reverse spin, that he danced on some competitions, with strong right broken sway on the first slow and strong left broken sway on QQ, so it looks somewhat similar to barrel roll. Don't know is it that figure or not. However, steps that Edita shown on above mentioned WDSF video are different and there is no hell turn, but a kind of heel pivot on entry to what she described as barrel roll.

9. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Moderator

Like this?
    youtube.com/watch?v=Qc6cUGhshxs&t=2m31s

10. DL

DL Well-Known Member

It's very close. The footwork/sway aren't correlated in 100% exactly the same way my hazy memory suggests were called for in the step I learned. But the gist is the same.

11. tangotime

DR " Spin" with SWAY??..

That reminds me of the time when Bill Irvine was asked to cover for a well known coach, with an Amat. couple. He watched their waltz and asked, " Why was there no Sway on your DR ? "... the poor couple didnt know what to answer.. and. he moved on to another dance leaving them confused ( leg pulling at its worst ! ).. no answer to what their coach said afterwards .

12. vit

vit Active Member

Yes. Well, as you perhaps remember from other forum, I'm much more in salsa than in ballroom now, so I don't know is sway the right word here or not - they are making a strong inclination of upper part of their bodies in direction down the LOD (opposite to what would be normal sway in reverse figures, except of course in double reverse) and it's twice per one double reverse (SSQQ). Reminds somewhat to rolling of the barrel and to that figure in samba

I also have a DVD where the guy is doing some unusual sways in natural spins (I think it's Spectacular shaping by Arunas and Katusha, but have to check) - different than on running spins on youtube video posted by Terpsichorean Clod ... etc