Basic Wear to Practice

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Anonymous, Oct 30, 2002.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

When dancers go to practice, what kind of clothes do they wear?

2. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

What type of dancing are you doing?
    From my experience, dancers usually wear clothes that are light weight and offer freedom of movement. Some studios are more casual than others so it is important to find this out. I think black is a good color because it's easier so see the lines.

Hope that helped.

And I almost forgot...Welcome to the Dance Forums!

3. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Ditto for me. I'd also say that it's important for women to wear skirts at least some of the time. Right before an exhibition is no time to learn how to hold and show off your skirt.

4. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

After a night's reflection, I'd like to add a story.

When I was first learning bolero, it was summertime, when I like to wear big, breezy skirts, which I wore to my lessons. After a month of working on bolero, one day I went to my lesson in pants and found out that I'd been doing the basic wrong all along, because my instructor couldn't see my legs!

Since then, I've attempted to wear something a little form-fitting, especially for rhythm/Latin dances. There's so much going on with leg action and body action, and it's important to be able to see your body's movement.

5. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Reminds me of a Latin Dance class I took where, on the first day, the teacher looked around and asked that, in the future, the women where tighter, less baggy clothing...it was almost comical how offended and miffed some of them got...until he explained why :wink:

6. lil glam gal

lil glam gal New Member

My dance teacher always tells me to wear a knee legnth or just above skirt with lots of movement for latin

7. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

I prefer to wear above knee practice skirts and form-fitting tees. I don't like to wear long skirts, even though I dance smooth and standard. I don't wear skirts in winter, however, just cannot bring myself to do so when it is cold. So in that situation I wear stretchy jeans.

8. lil glam gal

lil glam gal New Member

I usually wear a long practice skirt for standard but need a new one... anyone got any ideas where i can get one? x

9. Me

Me New Member

Generally, I'm dressed like a bum. T-shirts and jazz pants. I can move, I don't burn up, and I don't have to worry about problems with my clothes. (Though, on my flared jazz pants, sometimes my heels catch.) I am generally the most underdressed person in the room, but I am dressed for function. When I go to dance socials I wear dresses, so I think most people know that I do have some fashion sense... at least, I hope they think I do...

10. shortnsassy

shortnsassy Member

I'm looking for a standard practice skirt too. I've found some flamenco skirt for around $30. Can I use those for practice?

11. NielsenE

NielsenE Active Member

as a leader.. I tend to wear black trousers, and a black tight t-shirt, under some nice button down shirt w,w/o tie. that way I can switch between latin/rhythm and standard/smooth type appropriate practice wear easily... (tie because its often used in several drills to check head/hand position... and I think I'd look silly wearing a tie over just the t-shirt :)

I went through a phase when I'd always switch into latin pants for practice too, but haven't done that recently

12. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

Once I decide To wear my new skirt, might post my old one for sale.. but it has bunch of holes on the hem from stepping on it... will probably give it up for low price.

13. lil glam gal

lil glam gal New Member

what do the flamenco skirts look like shortnsassy? they sound ok.

14. lil glam gal

lil glam gal New Member

lol kat thats what the bottom of my old ones like lol

15. Katarzyna

they are still ok for practice I think (still using them) but I have a new one so I think I can get rid of it soon.. :) I always step on practice skirts, dont know what it is... even when I get them way too short..

anyone interested in liberty skirt (from chrisanne) with holes, you can pm me.. :)

16. lil glam gal

lil glam gal New Member

lol you know who to tell when there for sale ... me :) lol

17. shallidance

shallidance New Member

Do you step on them, or your partner? :cool:

So you do not step on the competition dress, which is supposed to be longer?

18. Katarzyna

not sure, maybe because the stretchy fabrics get caught on the heel, but all my gown skirts are satin or chiffon.. no idea.. I step on them, my partner never does, it's many inches above the floor

19. skwiggy

skwiggy Well-Known Member

Interesting. I almost never have problems stepping on practice skirts, but often have that problem with ballgowns. Sounds like my problem is more expensive to fix than yours. ;)

20. Katarzyna

I've stepped on my gowns ocasionally, but very very rarely.. in practice its almost every other long wall :)