Basic Wear to Practice

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Anonymous, Oct 30, 2002.

1. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

What are dance pants?

2. ktia85

ktia85 Member

I call dance "panties", dance pants (dance shorts). But typically like yoga type tighter fitting pants.

3. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

my practice wear;

in summer or warm weather, for latin I wear a black skort and and a scoop tank or T (occasionally a practice dress)...and have several shrugs on hand....for std/smooth; usually black yoga pants and shirts similar to latin outfits...occasionally I will do long skirts with leggings underneath in cooler weather for either smooth or latin

4. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Dance pants (shorts) would not work for me.. but a skort! That might work. Any recommendations for where to buy a skort?

5. fascination

in the tennis section at sporting goods stores...kohls also carries them in sportswear in the summer, as does target...in the summer

6. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Thanks!

7. ajiboyet

ajiboyet Well-Known Member

I try to wear things that DON'T hide my lines. Shorts sometimes, in fact.

8. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Have any of you worn practice wear from the Dance America brand? What was your experience? Did it wear well? Was it true to sizing?

9. Debra

Debra Member

I received a dance america standard skirt about one month ago. The sizing is spot on. The skirt is of a lighter weight fabric than say the capezio skirts; so far so good, but I don't expect it to last as long as the capezios.

10. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

I have a standard skirt and a couple of practice tops by Dance America. They wear really well.

11. Standarddancer

Standarddancer Well-Known Member

I bought 2 standard skirts from Dance America, quite nice design and good quality, size seem to run big, I'm 5'7", usually between a size S and xs in US size, and I need to order xs for Dance America practice skirt, I bought them last year, so I'm not sure if they could make any change to the sizing.

Also their skirts are heavier than Chrisanne skirts, maybe because of the elaborate design (extra ruffles+fabrics), so when travel, I still prefer to carry my Chrisanne panel skirt which is much more light in weight:)

12. harp34552

harp34552 Member

I love Dance America - I have their orchid skirt in the long and the short version, a couple tops, and I just got their new toga dress in tangerine. It came yesterday, and it looks AMAZING!

I throw everything in the washer on cold with Woolite black and hang it dry and it holds up incredibly well - never any problems. I do agree that their sizes run a little big; I have been changing shape so I actually have clothes from them in L, M, and S, and the stretch is good. They are all still wearable, although I ordered the most recent dress in a S - I wear a size 6 but I have some serious hips and booty - and that was exactly right. Normally I am a M in dancewear because it's so tiny.

Love love love Dance America!

(Although I will say this: I have a Latin skirt from Chrisanne that I bought in 2002 and it looks just as good and fits just as well today as the day I bought it, despite being hauled around the world and washed and flung into suitcases and god knows what. So there's that.)

13. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

I'm trying to only wear clothes that show leg lines... leggings, short capri pants etc, to practice. I've also noticed wearing practice skirts are helpful to get a feel for how much movement I'm generating.

14. fascination

agree about this...invariably, when I wear pants for latin it is always a frustration because something can't be seen...I rarely do wear them for latin...and it is always a mistake

15. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Thank you everyone on your feedback on the Dance America line.

16. Janson

Janson Active Member

I was thinking about how 'serious' are perceived to be at lessons/practices. My teacher mentioned dressing in shirt and tie for standard private lessons, especially at the higher levels - which I quite like. It's more akin to what you'd wear on the comp floor. Similarly wearing latin trousers for practice makes the motion just feel better, but I rarely see people dress for the occasion.
    Admittedly I nearly always go with some variation of tracksuit bottoms and a t-shirt, just for easy of movement. The people who do it in jeans...no idea how they can. Even if they're a bit stretchy, they still feel horrible!

17. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

I bought a lot of 'official practice wear', but I still tend to wear workout type clothes at lessons/practice.

18. Ice Bucket

Ice Bucket Member

I'm with you there. I've been learning for just under a year, in which time I've tried just about every kind of trousers for practice, and jeans are horrible. I've come round now to wearing some fairly well-fitted tracksuit bottoms every time, because they're so easy to move in. It's unfortunate that they're several inches too long for my short legs, so I have to tuck them into my shoes, but hey. I know I'm a sexy beast.

19. fascination

there is no way that i can move in any pair of slacks that are of a material that doesn't either have alot of stretch or which is exceedingly loose fitting...and as exceedingly loose fitting leaves questions as to how straight my legs are in latin, a skort made of stretch material and a workout tank and shrugs (numerous, as I take several lessons back to back) are the usually for latin unless it is very very cold out, in which case a wraparound dress and leggings are my choice...then, for standard and smooth, it is almost always black yoga pants and same shirt options as latin (though occasionally thin Ts or thin cardigans replace the shrugs, and on rare occasion I might wear a long skirt and leggings)

20. bluebereft

bluebereft Member

My coach once commented that if you dress seriously for dance, you'd dance better! And ever since then it has always been shirt and trousers for me, with no tie.
    My own coaches, the lady is almost always in proper practice wear, and the man in a shirt and jumper/vest. Though admittedly, this is in london.