Basic Wear to Practice

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Anonymous, Oct 30, 2002.

1. samina

samina Well-Known Member

ok, so what not to wear... lightweight white cotton pants... dang. wore these little capri type pants from express -- so not what i normally wear, but i was out running errands and this is how things wound up -- and for someone who sweats as much as i do, it was the stupidest thing to wear for a double lesson in uber-humid weather.

ended up looking like i peed myself. verrrry attractive. take heed... leave the sheer white pants at home!
  2. Standarddancer

Standarddancer Well-Known Member

Usually black top (long sleeve for winter and short or sleeveless for summer) and practice skirts (prefer Chrisannen or Espen) or pants (anything stretchy but found a good one from Santoria)...

For me black skirt or pants the easiest, can't go wrong with any color top
  3. Standarddancer

I injuried my ankle last year so I wore black practice pants with low heel supa dance teaching shoes so I could wear an ankle support inside my practice shoes. so this allowed me to practice when healing
  4. Standarddancer

Certainly creativity saves $$$, I think for practice top, much easier to find in junior stores or fashion boutiques on street - anything stretchy with some style would work for both standard & latin, also for Latin skirt and stretchy pants, it's possible to find in regular boutique or junior section of department store, but it's quite hard to find a nice, lightweight and flowy standard skirt from fashion boutique...I've only had luck once at forever 21, a stretchy long skirt but fabric kinda of cheapie and with inserts showed too much legs, getting back to Chrisanne now for standard practice skirt, but still searching around for tops/pants whenever possible:)
  5. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

For some reason, even though I mainly dance standard, I do not like to wear long skirts for lessons or practice. I prefer either pants or shorter latin skirts, or even shorts (especially if I am practicing by myself, shorts have a pocket where I can put my mp3 player).
  6. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

*snicker* Sorry. *snort*. Really, I don't mean to laugh. *bwahahaha!*:lol:

I generally wear pants, and the only issue I've run into is if they hang low enough to expose my bellybutton. I've almost gotten my belly ring caught on my partner's belt a few times :shock:
  7. Standarddancer

pants definitely have its advantages - sometimes I wear pants in lessons just that I want the instructor to see my leg action better to make correction; long ballroom skirt covers bad leg actions. So I think pants better for lessons and long skirt better for comps;)
  8. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

My practicewear outfit consists of dance fishnets (not my gorgeous 30 quid Capezios, those I keep for comps and showcases. The cheaper ones I got for everyday practice. Do you know how many times I've sewn the holes? Gah. A lot.). They MUST be worn. Only way I feel my feet working in my shoes.
    Apart from that, dresses and skirts.
  9. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

*have to laugh* Sorry. *ok, one more laugh.* Sorry. :tongue:
  10. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

Just curious, how do fishnets make it better? I found that I actually prefer bare feet.
  11. samina

samina Well-Known Member

Go ahead, laugh. It's either that or die of embarrassment for me. At least I had the sense to wear a white thong...

Ouch...makes me think of teenagers getting their braces stuck together! ;)
  12. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

OMG, Sam, that is awesome! And that's one reason why I'm anal about stuff that doesn't show sweat.

For lessons...
    Currently enamored of skorts. I think the ones I've got are Champion. As comfortable as shorts, show legs, built in bike shorts, look good with sneakers or sandals, can be dressed up or dressed down so it's good for doing stuff before/after a lesson...don't show sweat at all. Nice, flattering, A-line skirt look.

For tops, usually a cami or a cami+lightweight crop hoodie. Something that's form fitting.

I'm also a fan of cutoffs, or jeans for winter. What can I say? I like to be comfortable. I just have to be careful that the pants are short enough that my feet can be seen, without cuffing the pants (b/c I always get a heel caught in the cuff and come close to falling).
  13. samina

samina Well-Known Member

It's ok...worth a snicker. Or two. :)
  14. QPO

QPO New Member

I wear stretch pants with a fitting top, but would love to find a nice skirt. something that gives flexible movement
  15. soshedances

soshedances Active Member

Usually a skirt (often black, length depends on what I'm dancing) and a fitted t-shirt. Never stockings...they drive me nuts. In the winter, sometimes dress pants.
  16. chocolatchica

chocolatchica New Member

Only thing that I don't like about the Flamenco skirts for ballroom (mind you I'm not a standard major so I may be talking rubish) is that they tend to be very very bottom heavy. As to allow th Flamenco dancer to use the skirt for movement with her hands and still have some skirt at her legs. So they have heavily layered. I know because I have two Flamenco skirt and have found them to layered for ballroom. Any take on this?
  17. chocolatchica

chocolatchica New Member

Oh my goodness I found the perfect latin skirt for my lessons at Emerald and almost had a heart attack when I saw the price....$280. Darn!!! It was sooo perfect. I knew it was too good to be true. I've had a hard time finding a good latin skirt for practice/lessons and at time wear jeans which doesn't sit too well with my teacher.
  18. Becca

Becca Active Member

I have also found two perfect Latin skirts . . . both by Espen International . . . one is £125 and the other £95 . . . too bad I maxed out my credit cards in Blackpool!
  19. _malakawa_

_malakawa_ New Member

i need to buy here a sewing machine.

i know how to make them. i saw that ESPEN clothes - but that is expencive.
    [​IMG]
  20. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

It's definitely a personal preference. I have narrow feet, so the fishnets hold the toes in and make the shoe feel snug as it should. I've tried and tried with bare feet. It's too much of a bother. Added bonus, they make my legs look non-pasty and they prevent any jiggling.