Beautiful Viennese Waltzes

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by cantskiforlife, May 17, 2007.

1. I heard this amazing viennese waltz at Emerald and never found out the name of the song. In an attempt to find that song and others as good as it, I am starting this thread for the most beautiful/ unique viennese waltzes that capture the essense of the song. Feel free to populate the list.

Oh yeah - please make sure they are something you could play at a comp. Unfortunately Josh Groban's music doesn't fit. :(

What I am NOT looking for:
    Charade
    After the Ball
    The Promise
    Annie's Song
    Breathe - Ana Nalick

What I am looking for:
    Lucky - Bif Naked
    Hero - Chad Kroeger
    Never Tear Us Apart - INXS
    You and Me - Lifehouse
    I'll Be - Edwin McCain
    Once Upon a December - Disney's Anastasia

I think my two favorites are Never Tear Us Apart and Lucky.

Thanks -- I look forward to some awesome songs!

EDIT: I removed Si Volvieras A Mi - Josh Groban because it didn't fit.
  2. waltzgirl

waltzgirl New Member

Did you post your favorites/look for similar songs in the Dance Music Guide (upper R corner of the page)?
  3. some of the songs there are pretty nasty - i wanted only the best - the ones you could play at a comp. Sort of like Secret Garden with their Waltz's
  4. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

Well, "nasty" is in the eye (ear?) of the beholder, I suppose :p. *LOVE* Never Tear Us Apart; always have. Speaking from personal experience though, you gotta slow it down to dance to it, at least for American style VWaltz. 85% speed works. Other possible VWaltzes off the top of my head (keep in mind it's late and the brain cells are drifting off now): Cowboys and Angels - George Michael; and Broken Man, or It Will Be You - Paul Young. I've also always wanted to try Nights in White Satin, or Time in a Bottle.
  5. RIdancer82

RIdancer82 New Member

I Have Nothing - Whitney Houston
    Hijo De La Luna - Mecano
    Have You Ever Really Loved a Woman - Bryan Adams (Don Juan Demarco sdtrk)
  6. danceislove

danceislove New Member

Here's a few :)

Mandy More - Only hope
    Amanda Stott - Homeless Heart
    Chantal Kreviazuk - Time
    Avril Lavigne - I'm With You
    David Gray - This Years Love
    The Corrs - Runaway
    Seal - Kiss From A Rose
    Enya - Flora's Secret
    The Prince Of Egypt - River Lullaby (Amy Grant)
    Sarah Brightman - Hijo de la luna
  7. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

A song can be 3/4 time in the right tempo range but that doesn't make it a good Viennese Waltz...
  8. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

my favs are in the musice guide...but my particula favs are: amas veritas, I'm free, and another french one I can't spell...loose translation dance of two...meh...love those

edit self..pas de deux
  9. Ithink

Ithink Active Member

Lost Children - Michael Jackson, my partner's favorite VW:)
  10. Angelo

Angelo New Member

True knowledge. 80% of the songs metioned so far I would only dance VW to if I didn't have a choice in the matter
  11. gtdaniel

gtdaniel New Member

The Second Waltz by Andre Rieu is my absolute favorite Viennese waltz. I'll look through my music and post a few more later on. :)
  12. danceislove

danceislove New Member

Sorry just trying to be helpful... :-? I just listed all the VW I had in my computer, not necessarily fabulous ones.
  13. Angelo

Angelo New Member

No need to apologize. Just because I don't like most of those songs doesn't someone else won't enjoy dancing to them
  14. NielsenE

NielsenE Active Member

Some of my non-traditional favorites
    "The Voice" off the Celtic Woman: A New Journey album
    "The Pearl" off Worlde Blyess by the Medieval Baebes
    Less favorite but still a lot of fun, for me, are "Kilmney" and "All for Love of One" off the Beabes Mirabilis (but the latter requires extensive tempo change as its about 70mpm in the original)

Then there's the awesome one that Dave Innis plays, but I'm not at liberty to give the name for several more months.
  15. Grrr. I think I know which one you are referring to. I actually went through iTunese New-Age section (the first 2000+ songs) looking for a particular vw. Still no luck yet.
  16. Merrylegs

Merrylegs Well-Known Member

So I decided to bump this thread because I was just in my car driving home from a dance lesson and again heard Working Class Hero. It's a John Lennon song covered by Green Day which is the version I heard tonight. I love this version of the song.

It isn't beautiful in a sense of "Raindrops on Roses and Whiskers on Kittens..." but it is a powerful song with compelling lyrics and message. Most of the song is Billy Joe singing with an acoustic guitar accompaniment to give you a sense of it. Not a bad thing if you ask me.

If you download it, do it legally! It suports Amnesty International's Campaign to Save Darfur.

I have another Viennese Waltz in mind but since I'm thinking of using it for a showcase at our studio I'm not telling you what it is! :p Unless you want to dance it with me? ;)
  17. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Slight tangent, but...

Regarding Joe's earlier comment about songs in 3/4...according to whatever gods that make the rules about what it is that you can dance to, does vw have to be danced to music in 3/4? Or, is 6/8 or 12/8 acceptable?

I ask because a lot of vw music that I like is 6/8 (most common), with 12/8 and 3/4 being significantly less common, and was wondering if that ran afoul of "the rules." Personally, I think 6/8 fits the feel of vw the best. But I'm a beginner, so what I do I know about what it's supposed to feel like.
  18. Honestly, can a laymen tell the difference? (Some people are going to kill me for that comment). I have no idea what the difference would be. For all intensive purposes, if you can hear a
    "1-2-3, 1-2-3," you can definitely dance to it. Perhaps there are some slight nuances, but will anyone know? Can you give us some examples? Especially if on itunes. :)
  19. White Chacha

White Chacha Active Member

Not that I think this is a big concern but here's a true anecdote. We finished off a dance at one of our team socials with what to all on the floor appeared to be a perfectly workable slow waltz.

When it was over, a team member came over and asked when we were going to play a real "last waltz". He protested that what we had played was in 6/8 and impossible to dance to. He is a highly trained musician and not a lay person but there you have the lot of the DJ ;-)
  20. delamusica

delamusica Active Member

Psh. If anything else, being a musician should make it easier to dance to less suitable music because you shouldn't need the beat to be so obvious.

I can dance a waltz to foxtrot music if I feel like it. May look odd, but I can make myself feel it.

Tell your team musician to quit whining and go change his shoes. ;)