Beautiful Viennese Waltzes

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by cantskiforlife, May 17, 2007.

1. waltzguy

waltzguy Active Member

agree
  2. Chris Stratton

Chris Stratton New Member

What you're missing is that a time signature exists more for notational convenience than to be taken literally as a performance instruction. 3/4, 3/8, and 6/8 are all time signatures that could be used for vw-like music. And most likely at our vw tempo it will be conducted in two... one "beat" per "measure", switching to a three pattern (one per beat) in the slower sections found in most concert waltzes.

Just like dancers, musicians have their own "we say this but we mean that" conventions.
    Warren J. Dew likes this.
  3. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

OK. So this took a bit longer than anticipated. Just to note--I haven't actually seen the sheet music to any of these songs, so I'm going just by how I hear it. Which isn't to say that someone else might hear it differently, or may have seen the sheet music and say I'm full of [samba]. I make no claims to actual correctness.

Examples of 12/8
    • "Scorchio" by Bond (from Classified)--debatably 6/8 because of the feeling of the swing, but the melody fits better over 4 sets of three; also, the swing is not very strong feeling; at about 1:40 into the song it calms down, and that's where I hear the 12 the most
    • "She Left Home" by Jane Birkin (from Arabesque)--this one is interesting b/c it starts out in 12/8 (listen to the phrasing of the piano), but then switches to 3/4 at 2:18.
    • "Fallin' " by Alicia Keys (from Songs in A Minor)--I love this one. You could argue very well that it's in 6/8 because of the swing to it. But the chord progressions seem very strongly grouped like a 12/8, the lyrics seem to fit better as 12/8, and if you back away from the triplets and the swing, you'll find it makes a nice NC2S. I can't think of any 6/8 song that you can also do a non-waltz-ish dance to. Altogether, I'd call it 12/8, but an interesting one.
    Examples of 6/8
    • "La Del Ruso" by Gotan Project (from Revancha...)--syncopated as blazes, but definitely 6/8. There is no way you can only count it to 3 and have it feel right. The pattern to it repeats every 6 beats, which precludes it from being in 12/8. Mostly, though, the swing is so unbelievably strong in two.
    • "Tango Cancion" by Gotan Project (from Lunatico)--strong call and response feel; strong swing and feeling of two; second set of three is definitely subordinate to the first
    • "Shaman's Blues" by the Doors--again, very strong call & resposne and very strong swing and feeling of two; the melody is fit to 6 beats

Examples of 3/4

• "A New Day Has Come" by Celine Dion (from album of same name)--generally, the "one" beats are pretty equally weighted (listen to the lyrics and the guitar chord); each set of three is pretty self contained; interestingly, the song changes meter to 12/8 (or 4, with triplets, whichever) midway through and then changes back; it switches to 4 at 3:39, and back out at 4:03
    • "Come Away with Me" by Norah Jones (from album of same name)--first tip-off is the tempo, it would be exceedingly unusual to have something that slow in 6/8; mostly, though, the swing is contained within one set of three
    • "Run for the Roses" by Dan Fogelberg (from The Innocent Age)--same as above
    • "La Valser di Mezzanotte" by Childsplay (from The Great Waltz)--a bit of an oom-pah-pah feel to it, but mostly, the sets of 3 all feel very self contained; also, the "ones" are evenly weighted
    Hope this helps. I'm pretty sure all of these can be found on iTunes.
  4. Merrylegs

Merrylegs Well-Known Member

Wow wow woo woo! That was impressive!
  5. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

my new favorite is "for a 1000 years" by christina perri
    SwayWithMe likes this.
  6. clumsy fellow

clumsy fellow Active Member

Papercut by Apollo Drive
  7. jjs914

jjs914 Active Member

I haven't danced to this yet but have been hearing it on the radio and thinking it would make a very pretty VW.
  8. Vincent Schulz

Vincent Schulz New Member

From an Instructor's perspective, the speed of a Viennese Waltz is crucial. If attempting a Viennese Waltz for the first time to music, beginners must learn slowly. The more experienced a person is, the faster a Viennese you should attempt. However, here's a list of some beautiful Viennese Waltz music; ranging from Beginner to Experienced:

Flora's Secret - Enya
    Nara (Theme Song to Cold Case) - E.S. Posthumus
    Carribean Blue - Klaus Hallen Tanz Orchester
    What Now - Rihanna
    Dear John - Taylor Swift
    A Twist In My Story - Secondhand Serenade
    Your Guardian Angel - The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus
    A Thousand Years - Christina Perri
    Kiss From A Rose - Seal
    Swing Life Away - Rise Against
    Crazier - Taylor Swift
  9. Titoxd

Titoxd Member

A few of my favorites (that haven't been mentioned before):
    • Wonderful World by Elvis (the version in the Elvis Inspirational album is the best, IMO)
    • Tiempo de Vals by Chayanne (the song speeds up at the end, but if you are playing a 3-minute VW, someone will hate you)
    • Voices of Spring by New 101 Strings Orchestra
    • Super Mario Bros. Underwater Theme by Tokyo City Philharmonic Orchestra (this one is a bit more involved, since it requires splicing the Super Mario Bros. medley in the "Game Music Concert" CD, and the CD can be extremely expensive/hard to find.)
  10. suburbaknght

suburbaknght Well-Known Member

I think these will please you. It's a long list so I've bolded the ones I recommend most highly.

Ice Cream - Sarah McLachlan
    Try Not to Breathe - R.E.M.
    Nights in White Satin - The Moody Blues
    Iris - Goo Goo Dolls
    Love Just Is - Hillary Duff
    Breakaway - Kelly Clarkson
    Crazy - Aerosmith
    Introduction to Maxim's - Gigi (soundtrack)
    No One - Aly and AJ
    Homeless Heart - Amanda Stott
    Seduces Me - Celine Dion
    Down to Earth - Peter Gabriel
    Between - Vienna Teng
    I'm Still a Guy - Brad Paisley
    Life After You - Daughtry
    I Put a Spell on You - Marilyn Manson
    Drip Drop - Safura
    Crazy Girl - Eli Young Band
    Light in Your Eyes - Blessed Union of Souls
    Marry Me - Emilie Autumn
  11. dlliba10

dlliba10 Well-Known Member

SK, I need to hire you as like my personal music consultant. Would you be okay with that?
    suburbaknght likes this.
  12. dlliba10

I'VE BEEN LOOKING FOR THIS ONE FOREVER!! Ahhh thank you!
    suburbaknght likes this.
  13. regis

regis Active Member

World Stand Still - The Tenors
  14. suburbaknght

suburbaknght Well-Known Member

Just returning the favor, Dan.
  15. chomsky

chomsky Well-Known Member

This is very useful!
  16. anntennis

anntennis Active Member

Classical:

1)Music:Verdi from La Traviata - The Brindisi, Artist : Pavarotti;

2) Rigoletto La Dona e mobile -Verdi -Pavarotti
  17. kckc

kckc Active Member

I've always thought "Bound to You" by Christina Aguilera (Burlesque soundtrack) would be a gorgeous showcase.
  18. dlliba10

My recent favorites:

Someday - The Summer Set
    Mia Kardia Ston Anemo - Nikos Ikonomopoulos
    Giving It All Away - Ashlee Simpson
    Eighteen Inches - Lauren Alaina
    World Stand Still - The Tenors
  19. stash

stash Well-Known Member

The Chain- Ingrid Michaelson
  20. Leon Theou