Bent Front Leg in Cuban Breaks

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by caw, Nov 28, 2012.

1. caw

caw Active Member

My understanding is that the front leg in cuban breaks is straight (the front leg on count 2, and count 4), since it's a checking action, but Oxana doesn't seem to be doing that. Am I seeing this wrong, or something?

Youtube /watch?v=xKeUpU446Xg&feature=related

00:25 (you can slow it down to 25% speed to look closely if you want)

2. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

It looks like to me that Oxana has chosen to use a press line position in that particular step (which I think more of as a syncopated "high" new yorker instead of a cuban break)....just my opinion though.

3. caw

caw Active Member

Ah, makes sense. Never seen that before, but it's neat.

4. samina

samina Well-Known Member

really enjoyed all of the variations in the vid, too...thanks for posting it.

5. vit

vit Active Member

You probably noticed that they are doing it differently to PP than to CPP. To PP, they are doing it like 'proper' double cuban break, with no rotation of the feet and with straightening the legs. To CPP, they are doing it with much more rotation, so syncopated opening out is probably a better name (as mentioned by latingal). In this case, weight transfer isn't complete, because checking of the turn happens partially using the leg and partially using the core and it is quick. So if you ask me, there is no need to straighten the legs, but the figure looks less 'grounded'

You can also see several other figures danced a bit differently (including the basic step) than by the book - it's how they are actually danced currently, at least in Europe. If you have competitive ambitions, check with your coach would the judges tolerate that. In my area, I'm quite sure they would tolerate these things even at restricted syllabus level - couples and their coaches are trying everything to look more attractive on the floor and to stretch the rules and over the rules. In your area and dance organization, it may be different. If you just want to improve your dancing at recreative level, examine these things closely from this video - it is among best DVDs I have in my (large) collection, and forget the book

6. Groovology

Groovology New Member

If you don't mind me asking, what exactly is the name of this DVD? I've seen a few clips from what I presume to be the same video on YouTube but I don't know what it's from.

7. vit

vit Active Member

Name of DVD is Latin motion (as written in the comments on the youtube page). That said - I like dancing in that DVD, while there are no much descriptions inside. Above clip is taken from cha cha section, cutting out unnecessary parts that are danced without music, on the counting

8. Groovology

Groovology New Member

Alright, thanks for the information. Didn't realize that was meant to be the title of the DVD and not just some extra tags to help searches... :p